Buying a R33 GTT

AlexHYS

Jan 2, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
Hi all RB sifus,
My uncle is moving to Canada and he doesn't want to move his R33 there, so he's selling it to me for about RM35K.

I've got a few questions.

Aside from what the "Buying a GTR" sticky says about the condition of the car, what else do I have to check?How frequently do I have to service the car?How much does an average service cost?And are there any reputable shops in JB that have experience dealing with R's as I'm thinking of slowly modifying it down the line.

Can the RB25 run on RON 95 for daily driving?Will it damage the car?And is the power of a RB26 worth the cost of a swap?

Lastly,as I just got my license,is it a "dangerous" car for a newbie?I'm asking this as my only driving experiences were in Protons,Myvis,and a Vios.

Sorry for so many questions,the R33 has been a dream car of mine for quite awhile now.Thanks in advance!

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Hi all RB sifus,
My uncle is moving to Canada and he doesn't want to move his R33 there, so he's selling it to me for about RM35K.

Aside from what the "Buying a GTR" sticky says about the condition of the car, what else do I have to check?How frequently do I have to service the car?How much does an average service cost?And are there any reputable shops in JB that have experience dealing with R's as I'm thinking of slowly modifying it down the line.

Can the RB25 run on RON 95 for daily driving?Will it damage the car?And is the power of a RB26 worth the cost of a swap?

Lastly,as I just got my license,is it a "dangerous" car for a newbie?I'm asking this as my only driving experiences were in Protons,Myvis,and a Vios.

Sorry for so many questions,the R33 has been a dream car of mine for quite awhile now.Thanks in advance!
For a newbie, not recommended coz GTT can make a lot of power and it's RWD without any traction control and stability control, so it may bite you hard when your ambition outweighs your driving skill! Plus it's a very old car, so if you're not experienced in maintaining old cars with turbo some more, then better not.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Hi all RB sifus,

I'm no RB sifu. But I'm a huge R33 fan, regardless of GTT or GTR. Both are awesome. And for RM35k it's cheap! Sort of. Depending on the condition of the car, you might be able to bargain to perhaps about 30k since he's family.

Frequency all depends on the cars condition. Otherwise it's normal frequency. Oil change intervals, belt changes, fluids in general, oil seals and gaskets, etc.

Don't modify it if you're not wealthy. Not a cheap car to modify since Skyline aftermarket parts are generally quite expensive. I assume this is stock so it probably comes with the RB20E engine? Hopefully not and hopefully it's a RB20DET instead. Either way it's a little small for the size and weight of the car but at least the road tax is reasonable. Fyi, it's SOHC vs DOHC.

Maintenance wise this is a pretty solid engine. Spend a bit to replace everything worn out and it'll last a very long time, so in terms of maintenance cost, not really that bad. But definitely way more than your average Proton / Perodua la.

I'm not in JB so can't help you there.

All depends on the tune. Stock car can work with RON95 and 97 both. If modified I dunno.

And YES. RB26DET is always worth the cost of the swap. Question is can you afford road tax and petrol consumption?

It's all about driving experience. There's no such thing as a "safe" car. It's all about driving the car, getting used to the car and making sure you stay safe in the car. There's bound to be some nicks and dings along the way since you're new to driving. But as long as you're not wreckless and is careful, you should be fine.

It'll take some time to get used to the length of the car since you're used to smaller cars. But I don't foresee any other problem assuming your driving skill is not bad.

Here's the thing about dreams. If opportunity knocks and you can afford to open the door - go for it. Otherwise it'll never happen.

Good luck dude.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

seen one but owner nvr reveal much , owner wasn't using high cam yet ... but dyno-ed and got a 19kg-m of torque ... any sifus here that can shed some light
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience