Best tuner

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
mind if someone be kind enough to tell me what does this tuning mean? what do they tune? how much is it for a vtec engine? please dont shoot me, i am just learning because i am interested in this. thank you.
No offence, but you don't seem like someone who is interested and genuinely wants to learn but would rather just be spoon fed everything there is to know about tuning. Here's a good place to start, surprised you missed it:

Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Tuning And More - Complete Resource Guide

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
no problem bro. i was just confused. because i know the type of tuning that cost really cheap compared to what is being discussed here. so i just wanted to know what do they actually tune. if what i asked is wrong or some how not appropriate, i take it back. its not that i did not do my research. i wasnt able to understand what were they talking about. i admit, i didnt come across the link u gave (btw i think its broken). anyway, from what i read and understood, is just about increasing bhp, torque, improved handling or smtg like that. then it comes to reboring, rebuilding and these terms. i can read the definition and understand from that. but i still dont see it! anyway, its ok bro! cheers! its my bad for thinking that i can ask here when i dont understand something. 1 thing that i think its not fair to me is that u think i did not do my research. i mean i understand that because of the brief way i asked my questions.

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
no problem bro. i was just confused. because i know the type of tuning that cost really cheap compared to what is being discussed here. so i just wanted to know what do they actually tune. if what i asked is wrong or some how not appropriate, i take it back. its not that i did not do my research. i wasnt able to understand what were they talking about. i admit, i didnt come across the link u gave (btw i think its broken). anyway, from what i read and understood, is just about increasing bhp, torque, improved handling or smtg like that. then it comes to reboring, rebuilding and these terms. i can read the definition and understand from that. but i still dont see it! anyway, its ok bro! cheers! its my bad for thinking that i can ask here when i dont understand something. 1 thing that i think its not fair to me is that u think i did not do my research. i mean i understand that because of the brief way i asked my questions.
Forget it, just saw the date you joined ZTH.

Last edited:

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
Well. Basically, tuning is abt getting the air fuel ratio and ignition right according to specific engine design. To improve on the hp, response, torque and fuel consumption. Theorethically, a stock motor should have well tuned from the factory. However, as an OEM the tuning is somewhat conservative on the safety factor. So tuning the engine is done on less conservative style. To improve on the overall driving experience.

So, that's for the stock motor. However, from the performance point pf view, when start modding the motor, the entire system will be messed up. So, the stock tuning will no longer able to support the mods done on the motor to perform at it's optimum level. So, fuel and ignition needs to be retuned according to new set up. There are different device sold in the market with different level of effort and different possibility level, which was why they were charged differently.

Hope this helps.

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
[PIMPIN];1063574521 said:
Forget it, just saw the date you joined ZTH.
lol..

---------- Post added at 11:02 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:43 AM ----------

Well. Basically, tuning is abt getting the air fuel ratio and ignition right according to specific engine design. To improve on the hp, response, torque and fuel consumption. Theorethically, a stock motor should have well tuned from the factory. However, as an OEM the tuning is somewhat conservative on the safety factor. So tuning the engine is done on less conservative style. To improve on the overall driving experience.

So, that's for the stock motor. However, from the performance point pf view, when start modding the motor, the entire system will be messed up. So, the stock tuning will no longer able to support the mods done on the motor to perform at it's optimum level. So, fuel and ignition needs to be retuned according to new set up. There are different device sold in the market with different level of effort and different possibility level, which was why they were charged differently.

Hope this helps.
oh yes, its really helpful. thank you very much. still in the dark but at least i know a little more now. previously my mech would say tuning to save fuel consumption, this is the opposite. u sacrifice fc for power. so u change the parts in the engine to give u the extra power. i get it now. thank you very much.

YRvi

Known Member
Oct 5, 2006
KL
I think Tabby is friendlier.. and btw he's my cat. Jokes aside.

Ehem. I think nowadays is much more easier for self tuning. All you need to have a AFR meter and the piggyback/standalone.. But to understand the nature of your engine is the most important. Cuz you know better your engine, what's inside, history etc rather than a one-time off tuner. I'm not bashing those well established tuners out there, it's just my point is, actually we do have the ability to DIY. Yes, if they're cool and supportive, they could give us input bout basic tuning.. And i'm not saying that once you could tune/understand how ur car works you're already some bigshot, no.

In my journey, sorry it's a team of 3 actually, we invested on some cheap gadgets(due to duit takde but nak gak main kete) just to understand the whole picture. We use LC-1 and VAFCII as well as AFC NEO. The thing is, I experienced it myself, running on lean, rich, knocking, responsive, name it.. It's really fun and as long as i follow the NA AFR rule, i wont go wrong, insyaAllah..

Furthermore, it's not tat complicated, u play the role of Chef Wan, tambah tolak minyak, set vtec crossover haha.. and to know the result, i just pay RM80 to free running on dyno just to see the numbers..

Critiques are welcomed, cuz I do this for self-interest and the best thing is I can see the light at the end of the tunnel(it's a metaphor, i don't do drag in karak tunnel). Well, if you also had this experience on self tuning, why don't we share it? hmm?

kanthang

Apr 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
There seems to be a lot going on here with tuning. I prefer to go with the perception where tuning can get really complicated in contrast to its literal definition n its particularly delicate with the factors involved such as the devices and the tuner, most importantly!!

amel666

Known Member
Jul 24, 2008
K.L
I think Tabby is friendlier.. and btw he's my cat. Jokes aside.

Ehem. I think nowadays is much more easier for self tuning. All you need to have a AFR meter and the piggyback/standalone.. But to understand the nature of your engine is the most important. Cuz you know better your engine, what's inside, history etc rather than a one-time off tuner. I'm not bashing those well established tuners out there, it's just my point is, actually we do have the ability to DIY. Yes, if they're cool and supportive, they could give us input bout basic tuning.. And i'm not saying that once you could tune/understand how ur car works you're already some bigshot, no.

In my journey, sorry it's a team of 3 actually, we invested on some cheap gadgets(due to duit takde but nak gak main kete) just to understand the whole picture. We use LC-1 and VAFCII as well as AFC NEO. The thing is, I experienced it myself, running on lean, rich, knocking, responsive, name it.. It's really fun and as long as i follow the NA AFR rule, i wont go wrong, insyaAllah..

Furthermore, it's not tat complicated, u play the role of Chef Wan, tambah tolak minyak, set vtec crossover haha.. and to know the result, i just pay RM80 to free running on dyno just to see the numbers..

Critiques are welcomed, cuz I do this for self-interest and the best thing is I can see the light at the end of the tunnel(it's a metaphor, i don't do drag in karak tunnel). Well, if you also had this experience on self tuning, why don't we share it? hmm?
I agree.
Its a complete different level of satisfaction if we built it, tune and raced it ourselves.
Plus if more and more enthusiast are ggoing DIY, then maybe our industry would advance faster. Than enthusiasts would understand d point/importance of building their car right instead of just following all the rumors & hear-says in the Web.

Hope to see more & more enthusiast step-it-up so that our Performance Parts industry expand n in return, maybe we can get our own DRAG STRIP. :burnout: :burnout:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Here's some extra jalapeno sauce to sprinkle on yesterdays static shots of the Scion FR-S Concept, basically Scion's take on the Toyota-Subaru jointly-developed rear-wheel drive coupe. Toyota have now been so kind as to release two videos of the FR-S, a really short one and a really long one, to further stroke our loins and tease us silly whilst...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience