B16A VTEC N/A? 4AGE 20 Valve (Silvertop/Blacktop)?

EnseiTankado

Nov 11, 2008
Dear ZTH,

There a few question playing in my mind right now, so can all the experts or "shi-fu" help a poor chap out here?:stupid::confused:

Question 1:
A civic EG 4 doors with B16A standard and a corolla SEG with 4AGE 20 valve standard. Which is better in terms of performance (i.e. top speed & torque)?

Again, the same 2 cars as described, which is better in terms of fuel consumption (i.e. normal city driving & highway driving?)

Question 2:
This is regarding Toyota 4AGE. So, please help me ya (those 4AGE experts or "shi-fu")! How to differentiate silver top from black by the looks (except the cover, of course !). [THIS IS BECAUSE IF A SILVER TOP BEING SPRAYED WITH BLACK TOP, IT BECOMES BLACK TOP!!]

Thanks in advance !!!:egg:

joe_mirage

1,000 RPM
May 7, 2006
rotationperminute.blogspot.com
Q1

a) for sure b16 is more powerful... but dun underestimate the power of 4AGE. power is quite the same.

b) for fuel consumption i think 4AGE win.

Q2

- intake plenum design for SVT n BTP is quite different .. can see it clearly. other than that SVT using MAF sensor and BTP using MAP sensor.

btw i stand to be corrected =)

boyzone

2,000 RPM
Mar 13, 2005
if u can get 6 speed gearbox from 4AGE, it's cool.
Also, gear ratio is quite similiar with mivec's gearbox.

blackend

Known Member
Aug 5, 2008
Johore,
Q1

a) for sure b16 is more powerful... but dun underestimate the power of 4AGE. power is quite the same.

b) for fuel consumption i think 4AGE win.

Q2

- intake plenum design for SVT n BTP is quite different .. can see it clearly. other than that SVT using MAF sensor and BTP using MAP sensor.

btw i stand to be corrected =)
correction..SVT use AFM(air flow meter not MAF)

question no 1 ,i think for stock,B16A better than 20V a bit(even for upgrade,20v has limited n lack of perfomance part at marketplace compare to honda

question no 2 ,its so subjective,depend on our driving style(maybe 20V more economically)

question no 3,air induction box(plenum) for SVT stated 4 throttle but for BT is nothin.

AE80TypeD

1,500 RPM
Nov 24, 2003
Puchong
Visit site
-The civic looks nicer & will handle a bit better than an SEG (AE101).
-Stock vs stock, the B16A will be more fun to play with, rev happier & sounds awesome at top speed. The 4AGE has a little more torque lower down in the RPM & offer a smoother, duller ride. not so exciting like the VTEC open pushback feeling. B16A beats SVT overall.
-When u drive like a petrolhead who loves VTEC or VVT, no amount of engineering can save u any more fuel than ur right foot can :biggrin:. Both engines can have VERY good consumption when driven with the proper attitude in mind. Even the VTEC system was actually designed with fuel savings in mind, which everyone tends to forget. No use comparing fuel consumption unless u find someone who owns BOTH cars n drive them equally hard/gentle. that person's answer is the only one u shud trust. im sorry i cant.

SVT will have some weird metal gadget thingie with sensors n wiring sockets just after the air filter/filter box. thats the Air Flow Meter (AFM). The Plenum box covering the 4 throttle bodies will be neat, rounded & has a square slot that usually has a sticker plaque with "4THROTTLE" written on it.

BTs will have nothing mechanical or electronic between the air filter/box until the plenum cover, just the rubber hose. BT Plenum intake covers are boring, looks functional & plain without any writing or adornment. It is also has visible rib grooves up top & werent really designed to please the eyes.

There will be little chance to be confused with ppl interchanging these parts bcoz throttle body sizes for SVT n BT are different, therefore even the plenum boxes cant be easily interchanged or mistakenly fitted. Unless of coz, somebody takes a whole BT throttle assembly n puts it on a SVT head then sells it... haha thats too bad then :thefinger:

EnseiTankado

Nov 11, 2008
Thanks BRO !! I once drove a Civic EF 2 doors with B16A. I would like to change the car as I am bit bored with the ride (plus got people offer to buy my car :biggrin:)

As I never drive a 4AGE before, your in-depth explanation helps alot ! So, I have changed my decision as either taking a stock AE111 and swap 4AGE BT (hopefully 6speed..hehe) or EG 2 doors with B16A..As both the car are quite of the same price lately..Hehe..:smokin:

BUMP !!!

boyzone

2,000 RPM
Mar 13, 2005
For me, I will stick on EF with B16A as more fun compare with AE111:biggrin:

20V Quard Cam

Known Member
Sep 23, 2007
additional, blacktop parts will be more tahan,i did not say that B16A is not tahan but if compares to BT,it is. I tried my seg with stock BT inside and test with my friend's ej stock b16a. Pick up of cuz Vtec, but after reach about 160kmh,i start to climb his head until about 225kmh, he looses me around half of the head.

Aug 21, 2008
vtec powerful n bt potential la...true wat others say...bt aftermarket stuff not much..but the b16 can got up to 235hp (non Turbo)....n bt can go up say 180hp...but tahan la...im still waitng for transplant....

pencalat

500 RPM
Nov 20, 2006
JB
For me, fuel consumption of both is similar... the fc can be low n high according ur drive style...
even on 2liter high com setup.. whenever cruising, only affect a lil bit the FC...
for daily drive stock 16a n stock BT quite ok.. two thumb ups!!!

Aug 21, 2008
but when u bring bt vs b16 on the circuit.....bye bye la vtec...vtec good for drag....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

We can finally lay our eyes on official shots of the all-new Lamborghini Aventador LP700-4 that has been revealed at the Geneva Motor Show that has been followed by some solid and official figures to put our minds at ease.<b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b>

Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience