Aircon Maintenance

dartango

Known Member
Jun 5, 2006
My aircon finally gave up on me since the new year 2007 is coming and she demands many new parts replacement. Lifespan is our aircon is around 5 years.

Symptoms: Hissing sound from the glove drawer compartment. Aircon slowly becomes not cold and there are some foul smell from the aircon.

What I changed (guess which one I selected):
1. Cooling Coil (RM380 frm Mr Lee or RM1650 b4 15% discount frm Glenmarie)
2. Expansion Valve (RM130 frm Mr Lee or comes bundled with above)
3. Receiver Drier a.k.a Aircon Filter (RM60 frm Mr Lee or RM200 b4 15% frm Glenmarie)
4. Labor Charges incl AirCon Gas-Arnd RM60 worth (RM200 outside or RM299 frm Glenmarie-Very skilled and handy technicians with complete tools & also fast in installing-they know where to uninstall without hesitations)

The cooling coil is made in Korea by HCC ("Halla"...OEM manufacturer for Hyundai). Receiver Drier is made in Malaysia by AutoAir. I don't know about the expansion valve, it is a piece of block metal with valves. All the above components were meant for Elantra 97 car model (I saw the information printed on the box). Fits in perfectly for both Tiburon & Turbulence.

Mr Lee said the components should last 2-3 years. He had one similar Trajet case, now already 2 years+...no complaints.

To pro-long aircon life, made sure you off your aircon before you start and stop your engine. Also do not on & off your air-con while travelling because cold. Better to adjust the temperature or change the aircon blowing type (face only, face & feet, etc).

Sigh...there are actually more things I changed besides the aircon. Will update in different message threads. :-(

dartango

Known Member
Jun 5, 2006
More pictures attached. My pictures are not so clear because I took with my hp 0.3megapixel camera. If take with my digital camera, files are too big to be uploaded & take donkey years to upload. Letz be practical.

dartango

Known Member
Jun 5, 2006
I changed all the 3 parts. Parts bought from Mr Lee. However, Mr Lee got the parts from his friend. Hence, I think we can even get the parts cheaper if we know his aircon supplier.

Anyone know any aircon parts supplier?? Somebody told me there is a shop in Segambut that does servicing and parts supplying.

Labor done at Hyundai Glenmarie. The 2 aircon technicians are very skilled and helpful. They are very fast and they know where to dismantle & install. At least I know it was a good job done. I didn't have time to go bargain at the other shops. So hot lar that day, driving without aircon.

Yu911

Known Member
Aug 17, 2006
www.cardomain.com
Cooling Coil RM380
Expansion Valve RM130
Receiver Drier a.k.a Aircon Filter RM60
Labor Charges incl AirCon Gas-Arnd RM60 worth RM200
Total is $770.00

BS, last time yours how much?
Last time I did it about $550 to $600
Let me check again.

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
Yu, I did it for RM800 including labour if I'm not mistaken.
I realise that my full report photo in old forum gone. :(

RM200 worth the labour, at least they know what they do, darren.
Yu, yours is some other thing that broke, not the cooling coil, am i right?

Darren, haiya, really cooling coil spoiled like mine. Frankly, I also don't know why mine spoiled
Darren, did they remove your complete Dashboard in order to disassembly the aircon component?

Last edited:

Yu911

Known Member
Aug 17, 2006
www.cardomain.com
Last time my cooling coil also leaking, let me check with Ah Ming how much liau. I think I'm the first 1 who change the cooling coil, about 4 years ago, I remember my OEM last me 5 years, my car now is 9 years old.

wwshyue

Known Member
Apr 9, 2006
Hi guys,

Recently i have bad luck on my airconds, started since last year Nov/Dec....when i 1st change the valve on the cooling coil....cost me RM120...done at my relative's shop at my hometown...then after 2 months around CNY...change a nut on the "botol"....i dunno wat it is called....it is the "botol" with a small littel transparent viewing spot on it.....that 1 cost me around RM20...done at my relative's shop again...then las month....the aircond make problem again....i went to check again and discover 1 of the fan is not working(big 1)...later on found out the fius connecter is dirty and make the fan stop....so we suspected is the hot engine make the aircond fail....masuk gas and do some servicing(FOC @ my relative's shop)......las week.....it fails again.....so i went to 1 of the shop in klang and they found out is the cooling coil leaking (a big 1)...ask them to change for me a new 1....cost me RM320 for part and RM80 for the gas and labour......i dunno y the cooling coil so cheap compare to MR. Lee.....i heard the mechanic call the supplier said he wants the original cooling for coupe.....then when the supplier sent the cooling coil...i see it is denso brand(the broken 1 also denso Brand)...i am not sure whether it is an original or not.....but i don care la...since he said the thing got 1 year warranty....

just share with you guys some info on my recent bad luck...

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
kelvin, our original cooling coil is from HCC. It means that the previous owner change it to Denso.

I shall re-post my aircon problem here later.

Last edited: