BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
RD/RD2 Brake System

The front brake component

REPLACEMENT OF BRAKE PADS

The brake pads have wear indicators that contact the brake disc when the brake pad thickness becomes 2 mm (0.08 in.) or less. The wear indicators will generate a squealing sound to warn the driver.

Just curious, does other car have this kind of warning system?

dartango

Known Member
Jun 5, 2006
Better to have naked eye inspections from time to time rather than waiting for the sound to come. Should be able to see the brake pad thickness. If you are lucky, you can also see the "groove" in the between the entire brake pad (still a good set!!)

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
Yu, which means I always change the pad before it really wear out..

Actually what I suffer now is in-balance brake wear, I realise my passenger front rim have more brake dirt left over on the rim than the driver site. Don't know how to correct it, that's why modding is 1 of my option now.

Ace

500 RPM
Mar 2, 2005
Penang
BS,
check your front brake kit. The right brake kit mostly is not functioning. I had the same problem with my Satria. It shouldn't be expensive.

Last edited:

Yu911

Known Member
Aug 17, 2006
www.cardomain.com
BS, try to jet up ur front & see is the left break is jam, just turn ur rim.
Some ppl even grind of the break pad warning pin & use it till kau kau.
yes, most ppl change break pad before the warning, b'coz some don have this warning pin mah, also workshop will ask u to change if the pad is going to be finish, even before the warning pin touch the disk

Ace

500 RPM
Mar 2, 2005
Penang
Daniel,
You can really see the pad and the metal just like those day when you check your bicycle brake.

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
Ace said:
BS,
check your front brake kit. The right brake kit mostly is not functioning. I had the same problem with my Satria. It shouldn't be expensive.
Ace, luckily you change from "should be expensive" to "shouldn't be expensive". I stare at my monitor when at read "should be expensive" and remain silent for a while.... hahahhaha

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
Yu911 said:
BS, try to jet up ur front & see is the left break is jam, just turn ur rim.
Some ppl even grind of the break pad warning pin & use it till kau kau.
yes, most ppl change break pad before the warning, b'coz some don have this warning pin mah, also workshop will ask u to change if the pad is going to be finish, even before the warning pin touch the disk
actually my brake jam twice, but it's the passenger side, not driver side. Chui fix it for me.

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
Ace said:
Daniel,
You can really see the pad and the metal just like those day when you check your bicycle brake.
i never check my bicycle brake, maybe that's why i have bicycle accident and fly in the air once. *superman* WWWeeeeeeee.

incident: travel at high speed (20-30KMH gua), suddenly front brake jam, the next thing is, i was airborn ..... and crash on the floor. Muahaha, bring back old memory

Daniel Lee

2,000 RPM
Apr 21, 2005
KL
Ace, thanks for the brake checking method. :)

BS, did you hurt yourself badly that time?
It sounds serious.
I also experienced a bicycle incident something like yours but it's not brake fault, my front wheel when into a pothole and my bike launched me up into the air and the next second I'm lying on those sandy ground with lots of blood oozing from my face and knee.
It was like I been wack by a big group of ppl.
My mom got a fright when I went home.
Damn scary and painful.

Ace

500 RPM
Mar 2, 2005
Penang
BS,
Sorry for scarying you for the moment. also double ouch for you and Daniel on the crash.

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
worst still, the incident happen on normal road (bitumen) surface, no soft landed.
but you know as kid, never scared to die, next day repair the brake and go cycling again. Muahaha.

another bicycle incident happen later after that, and i get a few stitch in clinic. a scar at my left elbow :biggrin: