AE101 rear suspension problem...

Naim

Known Member
May 10, 2006
To all toyotarian sifoo...need sharing and your experience..
just want to sharing idea...how to increase high at rear suspension..
now use new absorber and fix stock coil spring...carry 2 passenger my car look "lowed"
other guys says change coil spring ST171 model..true or not..or use ST171 absorber and coil spring complete..

nnik

3,000 RPM
Sep 20, 2005
Lembah Klang
sv4 n sm4 honda rear spring....should help

t-la

1,000 RPM
May 10, 2005
secret place
look for harder rear sus. that might settle the problem

scottwrx

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2007
hehe.. i was just about to order the silicon spring wrap, but a set of four lah.. only using 2, u wanna share share ar? i think got a post selling for 160-180..

if not use adjustable lah...

azahari.aziz

Known Member
Nov 30, 2005
i got this problem too
but already settle it...
my fren do this to me..
but i dont know what he do...
coz i sent my car and go home..
used standard abs and spring...
my car can put 18" rim with 225/40 tyre
now already use 17" with 225/45 tyre..
no touching with wheel arc Fr n Rr..
you can carry 1person and 3person at the back
with fully loaded at the boot..
high its up to u...
if you want just pm me...
i can settle it for you
include installation..

muzhaffar

Known Member
Dec 1, 2008
hehe.. i was just about to order the silicon spring wrap, but a set of four lah.. only using 2, u wanna share share ar? i think got a post selling for 160-180..

if not use adjustable lah...
bro?
what is silicon spring wrap?
is it the red one that placed between spring?
look like rubber one?
i know someone who sell it at rm35 for 2 pieces
so, for the whole car, only rm70

dennisdreams

Known Member
Feb 15, 2006
yup, ST171's spring did do the miracle. you would be able to carry more load and your absorber will last longer. the so call silicon spring wrap will help improve the situation a bit but it will wear out in shorter time period compare to changing spring would last longer. The purchase price of the spring wrap should be less than 50/pcs, or you were buying overprice merchandise.

p/s SV4's rear spring is not compatible with SEG/AE101,111 in both size,diameter and length.

2 Old 2 Rusty

1,500 RPM
Nov 18, 2006
yup, ST171's spring did do the miracle. you would be able to carry more load and your absorber will last longer. the so call silicon spring wrap will help improve the situation a bit but it will wear out in shorter time period compare to changing spring would last longer. The purchase price of the spring wrap should be less than 50/pcs, or you were buying overprice merchandise.

p/s SV4's rear spring is not compatible with SEG/AE101,111 in both size,diameter and length.
Yup, you're right, Dennis. The SM4 Accord springs are not compatible with the AE101 shox.

I'm not sure about the SEG body but my Corona used to have the same problem too but the only difference is; the ST171's springs didn't do the trick for me, although the ST171's springs do look taller than the stock Corona's. The rear tyres (only using 195/50x15) still scrapping the arches when fully loaded.

:listen: My cure came from the ST185 Celica's rear springs. It's plug & play for the AE101 shox. Still using it on my wife's car now. It's a progressive spring & the spring rate's just nice.:driver::love:

The only setback would be bcoz it's quite rare. I had to buy the whole shox just for the springs. The shox won't fit the AE series although the holes for the knuckles are ngam but the spring's "cup"/holder will foul the tyre.:banghead:

EDRA

500 RPM
Nov 15, 2006
i am also need some advise from u all. my rear suspension too soft. when carry 2 pax its touch the mudguard. i am using 215/45/17.

is there any harder coil spring suitable for ae101?

scottwrx

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2007

i m not sure about the price of the item lah.. coz what i know is there are 2 types of wrap, one is rubber another is silicon... rubber one selling for 35 per piece n silicon one i think around 160-180 per set of 4 pieces..

anyway since you already provide a long term a solution, u got st171 spring ar?? sell me cheap cheap lah.... hehe... i go to ur place loh... jln bukit panchor right ?

Last edited:

2 Old 2 Rusty

1,500 RPM
Nov 18, 2006
i am also need some advise from u all. my rear suspension too soft. when carry 2 pax its touch the mudguard. i am using 215/45/17.

is there any harder coil spring suitable for ae101?
I thought we just mentioned that the ST171 Corona & the ST185 Celica springs, right ?

:listen: Anyway, I think your wheel size is too big. I'm only using 205/40x17; can't even use 215 coz of tyre scrapping fender issue... & that I'm using adjustable shox.

EDRA

500 RPM
Nov 15, 2006
thats why i am asking for harder coil spring. rear i use 215/45 for good cornering time when single driving. 40 series too thin can cause punctured/bengkok rim if hit big rock or jatuh lubang. langgar batu kecik pun boleh rasa.

2 Old 2 Rusty

1,500 RPM
Nov 18, 2006
thats why i am asking for harder coil spring. rear i use 215/45 for good cornering time when single driving. 40 series too thin can cause punctured/bengkok rim if hit big rock or jatuh lubang. langgar batu kecik pun boleh rasa.
Then I suggest you go for adjustables; even much better for cornering ! I don't know lar, it's quite difficult to have a perfect package, bro. It's more of a compromise situation coz if you talk about cornering, then 40 series is even better than 45 series due to less tyre sidewall flex.

Actually when it comes to cornering, you can always use a better tyre, rather than talk about lesser issues such as sidewall flex. I believe, a good 195/50x15 tyre will take the corners just as fast; if not faster if compared to using a lower grade 225/45x17 tyre.

If you talk about the langgar lubang & rim bengkok stuff, then better use 60 series lor... or 15" rims, don't you think so ? But it wouln't look good, am I right ? :laugh:

That's why I said it's difficult to get a perfect package, bro.

:listen:Just my opinion, that's all.

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sgJp-hLOrNo" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="200" width="335"></iframe>

Hello everyone! I just finished piecing together our video footage of our very own shop AMS shop Alpha 12 R35 GT-R. We completed dyno tuning last Thursday and immediately took it to the track early the following day. In the past few months, we've encountered limitations in the stock VR38 block in which it would fracture under high cylinder and boost pressure...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience