4AGE reliability on oversize piston

benjaminn78

500 RPM
Dec 31, 2005
Dear forumer sifu,

since my engine still pending at workshop waiting for the forged piston, i would like to ask, there is maximum 82mm oversize piston produce by TODA that has been use by some forumer, and there is no problem with the relibility. Now i got the news that there is a forged piston size 83mm for 4AGE. i would like to know has anyone who has rojak their 4AGE with other car with 83mm piston? mind to share your experience?..

nappx

2,000 RPM
Sep 13, 2005
kLaNG-kEy_tEE
aiyah...83mm...first at all i never do...even oversize piston..just run stock piston...what i can think is..about the engine reliability...how about block itself..the distance between hole..

good discussion here..

scottwrx

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2007
my fren tried a 83mm piston from mazda on 7age, pump up to about 1930cc facing some cooling issues, need to change double layer radiator and add oil cooler as for clearance between holes, no prob.., if u wanna play oversize piston, better install a water temp meter with warning beep.. to be on the safe side mah..

benjaminn78

500 RPM
Dec 31, 2005
i already have the oil cooler and 2 row aluminum radiator...so beside cooling, have you friend facing other problem?

1JZtezza

Known Member
Sep 26, 2008
Hmmm very interesting topic...anything is possible...devil is in the details.

Can not remember if you could just bore it out or re-sleeve original block.Anyways make damn sure it is centred correctly over each con-rod journal on the crank.This is actually the hardest part;to get a machine shop to do to very fine tolerances.

Next is the piston pin hole relative to original piston.Two ring(racing) or three rings.If can, get the three ring piston.

What head?16v or 20v and whether the pistons got the relevant 'cut out' for the valves and got to check for valve clearance;more so if you are using hi-lift cams.Want to be greedy go 304/304 but stay standard lift(16v) plus valve springs.TRD bearings

Balance all the stuff,increase your injectors which means add performance ECU.PNP, bigger extractor

Remember change con-rod bolts.

11000rpm screamer on the way!!!good luck!!!

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 PM ----------

ps. get the TRD oil pump(drive and driven gear).Dry sump is obviously better but damn expensive.

benjaminn78

500 RPM
Dec 31, 2005
ok, this is what i have done as far....

Head (Has complete)

-PNP head
-TODA 288/9.2 CAM (IN/EX)
-TODA Valve Spring.
-Reshim
-TRD metal head gasket (if state on 82mm piston), other wise need to custom 83mm gasket. also from WESLEE RACING.

Block (still decide which piston to be go)
- Ori 20V BT block bore to 82mm or 83mm....
- WESLEE RACING oversize forged piston ( still decide 82mm 0r 83mm)
- AE101 conrod with ARP bolt
- KINGS Racing main and conrod bearing
- Crankshaft to be balance after putting all the piston and clutch.
- WESLEE RACING lighten pulley...5 pieces per set.

so any other sifu can share the oversize piston experience?

Last edited:

TRD.AE92

500 RPM
Apr 10, 2009
bro... I done this before...
4AGE + TX3 piston (83mm)..
Long lasting? ermmm... I don't think so.... I use only 3 month, then the block cracked.... Everyday drive about 100km...

My mechanic car... Using this piston as well, but end up... block cracked in 6 month.

So... you still want to go for it? Think by yourself la... no offence

But I do have use the 4AGZE with 82mm piston, and boosting 1 bar with SC14 charger... and even used for 4 year without any problem occur.

Last edited:

benjaminn78

500 RPM
Dec 31, 2005
as the conclusion, seem 83mm cant be last long due to thinner wall block crack...thanks sifu,

linkeong

Known Member
May 8, 2008
According to one of my mech he said 83mm should be able to last long but your ECU tuning need to be ultra fine. There is one in Perak with 83mm, sometimes he goes to dato sagor track

benjaminn78

500 RPM
Dec 31, 2005
According to one of my mech he said 83mm should be able to last long but your ECU tuning need to be ultra fine. There is one in Perak with 83mm, sometimes he goes to dato sagor track
Wat aftermarket ECU did he using?

TOMee90

2,000 RPM
Mar 21, 2006
ok, this is what i have done as far....

Block (still decide which piston to be go)
- WESLEE RACING lighten pulley...5 pieces per set.

so any other sifu can share the oversize piston experience?
hi bro, wud u mind to tell me, how much it cost u for d WESLEE RACING lighten pulley? n where can i get it?

thankz....... :itsme:

linkeong

Known Member
May 8, 2008
Dont bother with the WESLEE pulleys, they are exactly the same ones with GPW. Same weight same material even looks very very similar and you can get it for cheaper at subang. That guy uses emanage ultimate only if not mistaken, need to reconfirm with me mech

cybtech

Known Member
Feb 20, 2008
my point of view... dun be too greedy...
if anything happens... (touch wood) you'll regret it...
just go can move, have fun driving, and save money... economy crisis here... :rofl:
of course, unless you're going to track la, using engine pakai buang..... :biggrin:

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Guys, if I have budget around 2k, what kind of semibucket seat can I get ? FYI, Im driving a Satria GTi,so what do you guys think suitable seat around that price tag ?

Do you guys think its better to go for those replicas but brand new or original but secondhand ones ?

I was thinking of Recaro Evo 2 or 3,since original GTi Recaro Njoy is hard to find nowadays, u think suitable or not for GTi ? Does the rear seat able to fit Satria GTi ?

And of course it has to come with railing and...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience