4A-GE 20V Knocking/Pinging

EFN

1,000 RPM
Dec 28, 2003
Batu Caves
Visit site
As most of us have already known, 4A-GE 20V specially ST are notoriously easy to experience pre-ignition problems or more known as knocking/pinging - specially when the AC is on.

One of the reasons is that 20V are designed to run on Octane Level 100 - so the system are optimized to run Advanced Ignition Timing. But in Malaysia, with RON97 and sweltering hot operating condition, Pre-Ignition are bound to happen more frequently.

Other cause for Knocking/Pinging are Lean Condition due to the following factors:
- Injectors clogged
- Fuel Filter clogged
- Fuel Pump weak
- Fuel Pressure Regulator weak
- Vacuum leaks

And I found another one cause that I have overlooked for a very long time -
PCV Valve slightly leak.
- Yes, after troubleshooting my 20V fuelling gadgets, I have decided that none of them are the real contributor to my engine's knocking problem. So I began looking elsewhere and just today I decided to experiment with the PCV Valve which has been "senget" for a very long time and I never bothered to fix it up before. The Oil Seal surrounding the PCV Valve were somewhat worn out (13 years old engine - what to expect huh) and this has forced the valve to lean out exposing a very tiny bit of gap which might have allowed some air to seep into it. Fixing it up is easy, just take out the whole PCV Valve and wrap a healthy amount of Plumbing Tape around the lower socket and snug them back in. Check that the PCV hose itself does not have any leak and reconnect them all. Upon testing out my car, i immediately noticed the difference as my 20V does not knock that easily again when the AC is on, and it took me only 15 minutes to fix the problem! - should have done this long-long time ago.

So you guys 20V owners out there, go ahead check your PCV Valve, if it is a bit senget and start to expose a tiny bit of socket, better get them fixed.
Hope this helps.

Acoustic

1,000 RPM
Nov 24, 2003
Hong Kong
www.my-acoustic.com
PCV Valve?

got picture or not?

EFN

1,000 RPM
Dec 28, 2003
Batu Caves
Visit site
This one laa fren - In red circle. The PCV Valve shown below have just started to go senget and can see the red lining - possible leak there.

Last edited:

EFN

1,000 RPM
Dec 28, 2003
Batu Caves
Visit site
This one in Yellow circle have still intact PCV Valve seating. No leaks

Last edited:

TRD16v

1,500 RPM
Feb 9, 2004
Tokyo, Japan.
Visit site
EFN,
how about 16v? can u help me to rectify it? Thanks :) for one second i tot u got new product again.. hahaahaha... :D

Regards,
Mike

Acoustic

1,000 RPM
Nov 24, 2003
Hong Kong
www.my-acoustic.com
I see, will play with it and let you know later :) btw do you have vacuum gauge in car, what are your readings?

EFN

1,000 RPM
Dec 28, 2003
Batu Caves
Visit site
TRD16v:
Naaah, jsut sharing some info on my discovery hahahaha.
I guess this applies to any car that have PCV Valve. It's very easy to check. Just look around the PCV Valve stem and ensure that it is not plugged in akward position.

Acoustic:
Nope I don't have any Vacuum Gauge ye hahahaha

levin818

1,000 RPM
Nov 29, 2003
Shah Alam
Visit site
EFN,
Great discovery :lol:

To add in my little experience: if the PCV sudah clogged, your engine will give you white smoke form the exhaust. So if next time see white smoky at the back, dunn just go spend big money to open up your engine. Check your PCV valve condition first. It could save u some big bucks.

cynicks

Known Member
Feb 29, 2004
PJ
Originally posted by TRD16v@Feb 7 2005, 23:06
EFN,
how about 16v? can u help me to rectify it? Thanks :) for one second i tot u got new product again.. hahaahaha... :D

Regards,
Mike
Eh ! That first engine looks VERY familiar... is it mine ?? Is my PCV senget ah ? Aiyo... got problem neh... must ask master EFN to come liao again. hahahahah let me try it to fix myself first...

Acoustic

1,000 RPM
Nov 24, 2003
Hong Kong
www.my-acoustic.com
Wah, now got allot of people panda top grey + black :)

adian

Known Member
Nov 22, 2003
PJ
www.the-yeins.com
Good post EFN. Any airleak into the intake system is always suspect.

More interesting tho is how highly tuned and setup the 20v is. A bit too little juice or a bit too much air and whoops.. why not simply retard the ignition a bit to compensate and save the grief.. albeit at the expense of one hp or two..

EFN

1,000 RPM
Dec 28, 2003
Batu Caves
Visit site
Originally posted by cynicks@Feb 8 2005, 09:07
Eh ! That first engine looks VERY familiar... is it mine ?? Is my PCV senget ah ? Aiyo... got problem neh... must ask master EFN to come liao again. hahahahah let me try it to fix myself first...
Yep my fren, that's your AE111. No worries. What you can do is just buy one RM1 Plumbing Tape, loosen a bit the two bolts that hold the injector harness (to make room for you to take out the PCV valve), take out the PCV Valve and wrap a healthy amount of plumbing tape around the stem. Plug them back in and ensure that they fit in nicely. When you reconenct the PCV hose, pay special attention again not to allow the hose to tilt the PCV Valve...good luck!!!

EFN

1,000 RPM
Dec 28, 2003
Batu Caves
Visit site
Originally posted by adian@Feb 8 2005, 11:48
Good post EFN. Any airleak into the intake system is always suspect.

More interesting tho is how highly tuned and setup the 20v is. A bit too little juice or a bit too much air and whoops.. why not simply retard the ignition a bit to compensate and save the grief.. albeit at the expense of one hp or two..
hahahah quite true. But me guess that my hands are tooo reluctant to retard the timing when it feels sooo good running at 16+ Degree Advanced hahahahaha.

Ray

Known Member
Jan 26, 2004
EFN... what is diff between PCV Valve and Breather? hehehhee me do no laaa...

my breather got lot of engine oil come out into intake .. so i pulled out the hose... and changed to long hose come out as a wasted oil...

is it ok?

p/s: mine is 16v :( not 20v.......

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

i'm wanted to paint my car before CNY, any recommended place to go for? cheap cheap one and quality not bad also la...

my base is white colour, so i need only to paint a layer of white onto it, maybe 2k white, champion white or the white colour like DC2 one..

how much does it cost? some quote me Rm1200, some above RM1500... 1200 is ok, but heard workmanship is so so only..

anyway, my budget are around Rm1.2k... if can get...

thanks zthians :)
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience