2006 Indianapolis, USA

butthead

2,000 RPM
Aug 12, 2004
Slipknot Fanatic said:
The Renaults were busy trying to set their cars for the infield section of the track. Giancarlo Fisichella asked his team mechanics to give his car more downforce.
actually it was interesting that the ITV comentators noted that the Ferraris was not even the top 8 on one of the corner apex speeds...

Slipknot Fanatic

Known Member
Jul 3, 2005
HELL
butthead said:
actually it was interesting that the ITV comentators noted that the Ferraris was not even the top 8 on one of the corner apex speeds...
Its true butthead. A lot of the other teams did the same thing as Renault did. Maybe most of the other teams know that they cannot catch up with the Ferrari's on the straights. Its always a sacrifice if you want more speed you got to have less downforce. I see you don't like to watch F1 on Star Sports. Really don't like the way how Steve Slater and Chris Goodwin give commentary. For me the best commentator has always been Murray Walker.

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
murray walker make quite a number of mistake over the air, 1 or 2 years before his retirement, might due to poor eye sight problem. :biggrin:

but i do miss him. "GO GO GO".

ARTC5859

Known Member
May 26, 2006
Murray Walker ALWAYS makes mistakes that's part of his charm. I usually watch the STAR Sports coverage and then the TV3/ ITV replay after midnight. The ITV coverage is much better- more insight.

I wrote to STAR SPORTS when they dropped the ITV commetary and went with Chris Goodwin and whatshisname...

I must say that 8TV and TV3 are down right FUCKWITS for not showing it live on TV3 so the rest of Malaysia can watch it live.

butthead

2,000 RPM
Aug 12, 2004
BlackSamurai said:
murray walker make quite a number of mistake over the air, 1 or 2 years before his retirement, might due to poor eye sight problem. :biggrin:

but i do miss him. "GO GO GO".

then i think you'd like this
http://www.worldmotorsport.com/murray/

i think he is also one of the oldest persons to be inside an F1 car...remember Mika brought him on one of the McLaren special 2 seater MP4s... he had a funny way of describing his experience..

ARTC5859

Known Member
May 26, 2006
THIS IS FUNNY!!

Montoya dumps F1 for US oval series NASCAR
Mon 10 Jul, 6:24 PM
JOLIET, United States (AFP) - Colombian driver Juan Pablo Montoya shocked the auto racing world Sunday, announcing he will depart Formula One after this season to race in the American closed-cockpit oval series NASCAR.
Montoya, a former Indy-car star, will leave McLaren Mercedes to sign with Chip Ganassi's team in the National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing (NASCAR), the most popular form of US auto racing.
(Advertisement)

"When people think of moving from Formula One to NASCAR, some people think I'm crazy, but I think it's exciting," Montoya said.
"I think it's a great challenge for my career. Coming here is probably going to be my toughest challenge ever."
Montoya has no triumphs this season and only two podium finishes, his best showing a runner-up effort in May at Monaco. He stands sixth in the current F1 table after placing 18th last week at the US Grand Prix in Indianapolis.
"I'd rather race here and work with Chip and have fun than be (in F1) and not enjoying it," Montoya said.
Montoya knocked F1 for stressing technology over entertainment, enjoying the side-by-side racing and greater passing opportunities NASCAR ovals provide.
"Anyone who watches their races knows it's not the most exciting thing you can watch," Montoya said. "How hard is it to pass in Formula One? Then if you do pass someone and you touch wheels, you're 'an animal.'"
Just minutes before the announcement here at Chicagoland Speedway, Montoya telephoned McLaren team principal Ron Dennis and Mercedes-Benz racing director Norbert Haug to inform them of his decision.
"I can't say they were happy about it," Montoya said.
Montoya will take a pay cut to leave F1 and return to his former boss but said he has been unhappy for several seasons.
"I don't think you're going to be happy getting more money and being miserable all day," Montoya said.
Walking away from an estimated 14 million-dollar F1 annual salary, Montoya enters a series where racers average about five million dollars in base salary with the chance for twice that in endorsement deals.
"Formula One has been great for me. I've won great races, but how close the racing is here and how exciting it is and how much fans love it," Montoya said. "It's hard to turn it down."
The 30-year-old from Bogota has started 137 races in F1 and Indy-style cars with 18 triumphs, 26 pole positions and 60 top-five showings.
Ganassi is confident Montoya can adapt to a series he knows mainly from television and video games.
"I've seen this guy adapt to cars and adapt to tracks like no other driver I've ever seen," Ganassi said. "I don't have any question that he'll be able to adapt to a Cup car.
"It's not going to be a walk in the park. It's going to be a lot of work."
Montoya won the 1999 Championship Auto Racing Teams (CART) season title driving for Ganassi, becoming the youngest champion in series history, and took the 2000 Indianapolis 500 as a rookie.
Montoya jumped to F1 with Williams-BMW in 2001 and joined McLaren Mercedes in 2005.
The South American star will replace US racer Casey Mears, who is leaving for a rival team at season's end, inside the number 42 Dodge Charger for the 36-race 2007 campaign.
"I think sometimes people don't know how tough it is out here and how many great drivers are out here," Montoya said.
Montoya looks forward to the challenge of racing in cars that can bump and a series that has evolved from a regional fad to a national craze.
"When I called Chip I said, 'Chip, you know what? I want to come back racing and I think the best place to do racing is here.' I said, 'This is what I'm looking for,' and Chip said, 'OK,'" Montoya said.
"It took us an hour to close everything. It was that simple."
Montoya is expected to bring greater global profit for NASCAR, especially in South America.
"Juan Pablo Montoya's entry into NASCAR is historic," NASCAR president Mike Helton said. "It encompasses all the things that are important to NASCAR, the things that we've worked very hard to establish.
"Juan Pablo is someone who touches not only the Hispanic fan base, but also a driver with an international following."
Montoya's first time behind the wheel of a stock car came at Indy in June of 2003 when he drove the Chevrolet of four-time NASCAR champion Jeff Gordon around the Indianapolis Motor Speedway F1 road course.
"It was a lot of fun," Montoya said. "You could push the car. You could slide the car and it was really friendly to me on the road course. That was really exciting."
Gordon, who took a spin in an F1 car, looks forward to competing against Montoya.
"It's a great thing for the sport to have such a world-class driver want to compete," said Gordon. "I welcome him and respect him for accepting the challenge."
Montoya might try to compete in some late-season NASCAR events. NASCAR has four races scheduled after the Grand Prix finale October 22 at Brazil, where Montoya is reigning champion.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Need advise and help what to do with a boost cut since chaning turbo's from a td04h - tdo5h.wants more fuel, a rising fuel pressure reg has been sugested? or should i go a A.M comp? its a 4g93t motor with afew extras full exhaust,filter,etc.Its a common conversion does any1 know any1 who's done the same what mods did they do?? cheers
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience