BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
Interlagos engine preview - the altitude effect

17 October 2006
http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=133121

The long main straight at Interlagos means engine power is a critical factor at this circuit. All the engines, though, must contend with the effects of running at altitude, as the circuit is situation around 800m above sea level. The reduced atmospheric pressure costs the engines around 7% of their power output; as a result, the 67% of the lap spent at full throttle is equivalent to 62% at sea level.

While this reduces the demands on some components such as the pistons, other parts of the engine such as the crankshaft are still subjected to significant loadings. Furthermore, both Renault drivers will benefit from new engines at this race. These units will only have to complete a single race cycle, rather than two weekends, and the performance potential of the engines will be allocated accordingly.

Just as the contrasting mix of straights and slow corners has consequences for the chassis set-up, it also puts the emphasis on particular engine characteristics. A driveable engine is particularly important in the middle sector of the lap, through turns 8/9/10, as the drivers are running in the lowest gears, with sudden changes of direction and throttle and brake inputs.

Smooth power delivery allows them to take the optimum line, without disrupting the balance of the car. The same characteristics bring their rewards in wet conditions as well.

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
Renault has no illusions of Schu's determination
17 October 2006

http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=133120

Michael Schumacher may have declared that the drivers' championship was over after he retired from the Japanese Grand Prix and dropped ten points behind Fernando Alonso, but the Renault team is under no illusions and expects Schumacher to be just as determined as ever to get one over them.

"Make no mistake: Michael will be racing flat out in Brazil, as always," warned Renault technical director Bob Bell. "His hallmark trait is that he never gives up, and that is why he has been testing in Jerez since Japan. And he has an extra reason to be going flat out in Interlagos. This will be the last race of his career, and I am sure he is determined to go out on a high."

And while Schumacher may be going flat out in his final F1 weekend, Bell doesn't expect anything less from Fernando Alonso, who will be driving his final race for Renault this weekend.

"We have known for a long time that Fernando is leaving after this race, and we have maintained an excellent working relationship throughout the year," Bell added. "It will certainly be the end of an era for the team, but we are determined to finish on a high by winning both titles, as we did last year. After that, we will begin to look ahead with great optimism, and relishing the new challenges of 2007."
stick your eye ball to your screen for this coming Sunday. Let's see if Schumi can give another surprise carrier closing. Or he will end up like Zidane? :biggrin:

prodigy

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
Hah, thats a wicked one. Michael headbutting Alonso. Haha.

Don't forget as much as we all are saying Massa, Sato might just go out and crash into Alonso's car, the same can happen to Michael too. Fisichella can do the same thing to Michael too.

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ
Nah, Alonso's not the desperate one now, Schumi is. The best place for Fisi to do that would have been at Shanghai when Alonso was under huge pressure.

I still think the best plan would be for Ferrari to get Super Aguri teams help :biggrin: Just wait for Alonso to lap them, then...

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
i think the best drame is Fisi crash Alonso out. Both DNF
Ferrari walk away with WDC and WCC.

another historical day in F1. :biggrin:

prodigy

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
Wouldn't say its historical. Tragic more like it. If i were Ferrari and winning the WDC and Constructors under such circumstances, i take no pride in winning then. I know Michael's pretty desperate to win one last WDC for his team, but deliberately crashing a driver out totally defeats his purpose of racing from day one. If winning is all that matters, Ferrari could have just get one of the Red Bulls to accidently crash into Alonso from race number 1 this season.

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
prodigy, what i mean is Fisi take Alonso out by accident.

what you mean sound more like Ferrari pay some other driver on the grid to create that scene. You got me wrong i guess.

Daniel Lee

2,000 RPM
Apr 21, 2005
KL
BlackSamurai said:
i think the best drame is Fisi crash Alonso out. Both DNF
Ferrari walk away with WDC and WCC.

another historical day in F1. :biggrin:
It would be a black day for the Renault team just like what 911 to US.

prodigy

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
BlackSamurai said:
prodigy, what i mean is Fisi take Alonso out by accident.

what you mean sound more like Ferrari pay some other driver on the grid to create that scene. You got me wrong i guess.
Cool man. I got what you mean. Just that i was trying to think of the unthinkable, that is Ferrari getting another car to crash Alonso out. I'm sure that won't happen la. Its his last race in F1. He's such a legend in this sport and to win and retire from the sport under such circumstances, it'll only tarnish his name.

prodigy

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
Yeah man. This will be our very last time seeing the master in action. Enjoy while you can coz at this moment, i've not seen any other driver on the grid who's as good as he and is able to take over the master itself.

Expect to see a turbocharged Michael doing the job like he's done for the past 10 over years. You'll be amazed how fast he'll be, trust me!