Turbo Upgrade

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
Well, it seems like circumstances surrounding my car have resulted in me needing to look at my turbo set-up. When the engine blew last year, bits and pieces of the engine flew out the exhaust (via turbos) and during the rebuild, I inspected the turbos and sure enough they were on their way out. However, they were strong enough for the low-boost running-in of the engine so I left them there.

Now that the engine has been fully run-in, I sent the car in for service and again, took everything apart and sure enough, the turbos are ready to call it a day. It's good that they managed to last during the run-in.

So my options so far are as follows:

1) Use the existing turbo setup (GT-RS) but new ones.

2) Go for a single turbo setup (GT35R or GT4088r).

The thing is, I'm somewhat attached to the current setup and since I have yet to fully experience the GT-RS with a 2.8 engine, I feel it would be a waste to go for a single turbo immediately. It seems that the GT-RS and the 2.8 engine work well together and having experienced them with a 2.6, I'm keen to see how the torque helps the car really pull out of corners cause previously its been laggy.

If I were to go for a single turbo set-up, the GT35 seems like a good choice provided I don't make the mistake of opting for the smaller exhaust housing which I believe chokes the engine. The GT4088r is also a good idea or even a GT42 but then again, lag is a huge factor hence its unlikely at this stage. Plus, the 264 cams would probably need to make way for 272s I reckon.

Anyways, I have decided to remove the stereo install in favor of a custom fuel system (considering a RIPS setup) but I'd stop short of changing cams AGAIN.

So my questions are:

1) Should I retain the GT-RS combo and be happy with the 600hp or so.

2) Go for a big single turbo setup since the HKS Step II is built for 800hp anyways. Bear in mind this would probably require new cams.

In both cases, the fuel system will of course be upgraded. I'm leaning towards a 3L surge tank, based on an estimated 1.5L of fuel per 400m drag so double seems safe or should I go bigger? I know RIPS do bigger and would prefer bigger surge tanks but the thought of having too much fuel makes me uneasy.

Comments?

farique

500 RPM
Jan 22, 2005
Klang
Visit site
browsed through the net and found that brand new 2x GTRS (RHDJapan) cost USD3600. GT35R costs as much as USD1500.

as from my point of view, going single needs to redo quite so much. The exhaust header and downpipe and also wastegate too am I right? Also, you mentioned you'll have to go for 272 cams if were going single. HKS 272 8.7 requires no swapping of valve springs but 10 and higher does. 2 cam stick around AUD1000. There goes the money again. Labour cost too.

if you are not satisfied with the power right now, by all means go single. :biggrin: I know you can afford it.

But if you are satisfied with the power, replace the GTRS pun cukup. Besides, you havent fully experienced the new setup riight? :biggrin:

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
browsed through the net and found that brand new 2x GTRS (RHDJapan) cost USD3600. GT35R costs as much as USD1500.

as from my point of view, going single needs to redo quite so much. The exhaust header and downpipe and also wastegate too am I right? Also, you mentioned you'll have to go for 272 cams if were going single. HKS 272 8.7 requires no swapping of valve springs but 10 and higher does. 2 cam stick around AUD1000. There goes the money again. Labour cost too.

if you are not satisfied with the power right now, by all means go single. :biggrin: I know you can afford it.

But if you are satisfied with the power, replace the GTRS pun cukup. Besides, you havent fully experienced the new setup riight? :biggrin:
Bro,

Thanks alot for the price comparisons and pointing out the various 'hidden costs'. As I think about it, the more I'm inclined to keep the GT-RS since as I've yet to experience it fully thus I wouldn't be able to say if its enough to keep me happy.

I think the logical step would be to retain the GT-RS setup, new ones, and see how it goes maxxed out. If its not enough then upgrade and sell off the GT-RS turbos.

Plus, need money for the 35. Hahah nah kidding.

gobiz

500 RPM
May 16, 2004
KL
Visit site
With a 2.8, I'd try Garrett TO4Z....

Inline six is special that it's very easy to use single turbo setup.

Not like V6 or V8.

cmng

3,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Visit site
err you at in decision between GTRS and GT35 Single

my suggestion is in between GT30 turbo but TWIN
GT3071R
but not sure the turbo can clear the engine bay and bonet or not
hehehe

omaroDDin

Known Member
Dec 25, 2006
wah lau.
hmm, too much technicality. but pimpin, do u prefer a smooth rise in power(twins) or just a kick in the nuts(big single turbine)?

eyong

4,000 RPM
Feb 20, 2006
Should have gone with 10.5:1 custom compression pistons ... 1st N/A GTR wor ... :rolleyes:

Sorry ... just a suggestion :driver:

eyong

4,000 RPM
Feb 20, 2006
hmm.. how does that works?:idea:

Dun know myself ... Have seen pistons for RB26 customed at 10.5 compression (other region) ... I guess it might drives like a Holden maybe :rofl:

S

semperfi

That's the last thing ya want on your GTR... which handles like a holden. :rofl:

omaroDDin

Known Member
Dec 25, 2006
huh? what? NA RB26?
Handles like holden? LoL
can't believe i'm reading this. haha
hmm, on the other hand, suggest to top secret la. they might just do it. and place the rb in a silvia. hehe

gobiz

500 RPM
May 16, 2004
KL
Visit site
I'm sorry but going N/A for a RB engine is utter heresy! :confused:

Might as well join the VTEC brigade.

Atmospheric engines just don't make much power unless the displacement is big enough.
For me, the minimum for a N/A engine would be 3.2L eg. S54,VQ35,LS-series etc...

eyong

4,000 RPM
Feb 20, 2006
Not sure who did, but there are some aftermerket custom pistons (10.5) floating around in australasia and europe region ... :listen:

N/A GTR ... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

JaHaX

1,500 RPM
Sep 21, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
[PIMPIN];3530923 said:
Didn't Autech (sp) build an RB26DE before?
YES ... they did and it is very limited ... some tuner did tweak it by amongst others putting 6 independent trumpets ... awesome god-of-war kinda sound

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hey im here using a wira n wan to ask bout wheel spacer. currently im running with 17 ( offset 7) rim. now i decide to mod my bodykit, engine, chassis n etc.

so the prob is im going to do wide bodykit (not so wide) ( similar like voltex evo ). so without sacrificng my current rim....i wish to put wheel spacer to make my wheel just slightly out from fender. the prob is some said that wheel spacer is not good for fast drive, got strange sound while in road n etc. some say there is no prob...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience