The Reality of Speed

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
Note that this thread is to explore the top speed potential of a GTR and if possible to separate fact from fiction based on first hand experience or knowledge (basically not something we read online or heard from your friend's cousin who heard it from his best friend's college mate's uncle etc).

It goes without saying that all of us take pride in our rides and there are some who even use the car in legal competitive environments while some would be reluctant to even drive their pride and joy in the rain. I don't quite fall in either category cause I was born with this heavy foot and rebellious streak which means I tend to drive my cars hard, very hard.

The thing that excites me the most: Wangan style runs. I'm a fan of speed (not the drug!) and over the years I've read about GTR owners supposedly reaching unbelievably high speeds on other Skyline forums such as in Australia and the UK.

From what I gather, the R32s and R33s stock gearbox will not allow you to see 300km/h. True or false? Note the word stock.

As for the R34GTRs, what is the actual top speed of the car? We all know the speedometers can read up to 320km/h but that does not mean it should end there right? Hugh Keir, a GTR owner who needs no introduction had uploaded a Excel file calculating the theoretical top speed of the GTR based on the stock Getrag ratios, differential ratios , weight, tire size, aspect ratio, diameter, etc and it shows a top speed of 241.0 mph @ 9000 rpm.

That's an unbelievable speed but I find little reason to doubt Hugh Keir.

Anyways, to get to the point - what's the highest speed you've experienced and given enough power, empty road and higher rev limit do you think 210-215 mph is possible?

Edward Chew

1,000 RPM
Jun 29, 2006
Kuala Lumpur
www.facebook.com
Perhaps do the experiment in GT4. Just raise the HP without touching the gear ratio.

A stock GTR in GT4 topped out at 276km/h. Forgot at what rpm but still got lots to go as it was still early on 6th gear at 276km/h.

gobiz

500 RPM
May 16, 2004
KL
Visit site
Top speed is basically power and aerodynamics.

241mph seems optimistic, what's the power in that calculation?

Surprisingly I haven't seen/heard about that many Japanese high powered cars running high speeds on the autobahn which is the natural place for top speed runs. On the other hand, conti cars seem well-suited to the autobahn.

Check out this car, 202mph on GPS.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPBl_g1GMAY

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
Top speed is basically power and aerodynamics.

241mph seems optimistic, what's the power in that calculation?

Surprisingly I haven't seen/heard about that many Japanese high powered cars running high speeds on the autobahn which is the natural place for top speed runs. On the other hand, conti cars seem well-suited to the autobahn.

Check out this car, 202mph on GPS.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPBl_g1GMAY
Top speed runs by Japanese cars are common on the Wangan expressway. I agree 241mph is extremely optimistic but bear in mind that is at 9000rpm in 6th which is higher than what most GTRs are able to achieve unless they have had major work. Those are pretty high revs in anyone's book.

As for the power in the calculation, its very modest from memory but I think to reach high speeds what's also important is the cars aerodynamics in which the GTR is at a disadvantage if you were to compare to Supras or NSXs. Also, maybe tweaking the angle of the spoiler, experimenting with different tire pressures and the like would add to the many different variables that contribute to obscene speeds.

Having said that, it seems to me that the general consensus is that one would need 600hp to reach 200mph cause other GTR owners with less power tend to hit 180mph or so.

farique

500 RPM
Jan 22, 2005
Klang
Visit site
now that you mentioned rear spoiler. Running spoiler-less will help with top speed. But ofcourse, stability at that insane speed is greatly reduced compared to having one at the back. Personally thinking, GTRs adjustable spoiler is meant for grip driving and not for high speed attack.

If anyone cares, the COD of R32, R33 and R34 gets better each of the gen. I can't remember the exact numbers tho. Damn it. I should've noted it down. It was on a website.. totally forgotten the site's name.. :banghead:

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
now that you mentioned rear spoiler. Running spoiler-less will help with top speed. But ofcourse, stability at that insane speed is greatly reduced compared to having one at the back. Personally thinking, GTRs adjustable spoiler is meant for grip driving and not for high speed attack.

If anyone cares, the COD of R32, R33 and R34 gets better each of the gen. I can't remember the exact numbers tho. Damn it. I should've noted it down. It was on a website.. totally forgotten the site's name.. :banghead:
Correct.

R32 - 0.40
R33 - 0.35
R35 - 0.27

Only the R34 figures remain elusive. Apparently the lowest is 0.36 with the rear wing at 0 degrees and so it changes as you adjust. That's from what I gather having searched.

gobiz

500 RPM
May 16, 2004
KL
Visit site
CoD is not everything... frontal area is also important.
Lift to drag ratio also.

Did Hugh Keir base the calculations on his own car?
If I remember correctly, he's running a OSG RB30.... the power will be anything but modest :rofl:

cosmicgate

Known Member
Oct 14, 2005
241 mph?????????????????????????????????????????!!!

!!!!!!

i also want a stock GTR that run that fast!

i trade everything, even my virgin butt.

Bump: 241 mph?????????????????????????????????????????!!!

!!!!!!

i also want a stock GTR that run that fast!

i trade everything, even my virgin butt.

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
CoD is not everything... frontal area is also important.
Lift to drag ratio also.

Did Hugh Keir base the calculations on his own car?
If I remember correctly, he's running a OSG RB30.... the power will be anything but modest :rofl:
No, the horsepower is not part of the formula. I've emailed you the exact file he uploaded.

I'm still trying to make sense of it.

gobiz

500 RPM
May 16, 2004
KL
Visit site
[PIMPIN];3535703 said:
No, the horsepower is not part of the formula. I've emailed you the exact file he uploaded.

I'm still trying to make sense of it.
Whaattt?? Hp not part of the formula??? Very strange since hp is integral!

That doesn't make sense at all as it's just simple physics..... need power to overcome drag at high speeds.

Now weight or mass is NOT part of the formula.

Bump: Thanks Pimpin, just had a quick look... the programme includes bhp and torque.

If the aerodynamics and gearing are sorted, I'm confident an R34 with OS Giken RB30 can reach 241mph at 9000rpm...

For stock R34, I'm confident it cannot reach 180mph.

Last edited:

Edward Chew

1,000 RPM
Jun 29, 2006
Kuala Lumpur
www.facebook.com
I recall this video of this guy doing his top speed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf2f0gNXarQ

He did 320km/h, 9000rpm at 5th gear. Rev dropped back at 7800rpm at 6th gear.

No clue of the specs and he shifted close to 10,000rpm.

Ignore the resistance, assuming the engine has the ability to overcome all the gears to peak rpm, but does the stock Getrag ratios really long enough for 241mph?

I'm learning too. :-)

Last edited:

NISMO S-TUNE

1,000 RPM
Dec 9, 2008
I'll be peeing in my pants for doing that in Malaysia "super highway"....:stupid: :stupid: :stupid:

Edward Chew

1,000 RPM
Jun 29, 2006
Kuala Lumpur
www.facebook.com
There's a guy posted his video in youtube of his attempt going high speed at Plus Highway. "R34 at plus highway" I think.

Yeah. Scary. It was a 2 lanes...

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
Whaattt?? Hp not part of the formula??? Very strange since hp is integral!

That doesn't make sense at all as it's just simple physics..... need power to overcome drag at high speeds.

Now weight or mass is NOT part of the formula.

Bump: Thanks Pimpin, just had a quick look... the programme includes bhp and torque.

If the aerodynamics and gearing are sorted, I'm confident an R34 with OS Giken RB30 can reach 241mph at 9000rpm...

For stock R34, I'm confident it cannot reach 180mph.
Sorry what I meant was that the huge horsepower that we all know he has was not used as part of the formula to calculate the 241 mph. Note the bhp used.

Also, what's a stock R34? :biggrin:

When you say stock, do you mean stock power? Naturally its not going to get there.

There's a guy posted his video in youtube of his attempt going high speed at Plus Highway. "R34 at plus highway" I think.

Yeah. Scary. It was a 2 lanes...
Seen that video ages ago, love the song LOL. That wouldn't happen to be you right?

That car took ages to get up to speed and he only hit 280 barely touched 300? I don't know cause I lost interest halfway. Very short attention span.

I've been in one R33 that genuinely registered over 300km/h...
Stock gearbox?

Bump: Btw, how do you tell speed when past the 320km/h mark? Would the reading on the PFC Hand Controller continue displaying?

omaroDDin

Known Member
Dec 25, 2006
i'm confused ar.
how do we get good speeds considering that it won't burn a hole in our pockets?:confused:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hey all sifu here,anybody can teach me how to DIY change kancil dashboard light??
i hope can change to white lights or blue..
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience