RON95 & RON97 Myths and Facts

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Yeah, it's good to drive manual again. The car is a bundle of fun! It's pretty fast, at least as quick as my CB5 for acceleration if not quicker, maybe just loosing out on top speeds above 160kph due to the shorter gearing (110kph @4000 rpm already). What's even more fun is the handling! The steering is nicely weighted with good feel, the handling is sharp and surprisingly very neutral for a FWD car with excellent grip! However I feel it's also a bit more nervous under braking, especially when braking in a corner/bend as you'd feel the tail gets too uneasy than usual/other cars I've driven. Not sure if this is normal for all SSS or is it just my car. The brake pedal is also a bit too soft even though the braking is good. Other than that, the car is great and surprisingly also very fuel efficient. I've been driving pretty aggressively very often and yet it can still get me about 11km/ltr. So I'm very happy with my purchase.

The gearing is very short indeed if it is doing 110kph at 4000rpm in 5th gear. Not that good for long distance travelling I guess. About the tail getting uneasy, could it be that you are not used to the torsion beam suspension yet?

11km/litre is good since you are driving it aggressively. Then again, did you try out using RON95 VS RON97 and see if there are any differences in FC and power? Since ZC31S is one of the few cars designed to run on RON97, it will be a good platform to experiment the effects of different RON in such kind of car.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
The gearing is very short indeed if it is doing 110kph at 4000rpm in 5th gear. Not that good for long distance travelling I guess. About the tail getting uneasy, could it be that you are not used to the torsion beam suspension yet?

11km/litre is good since you are driving it aggressively. Then again, did you try out using RON95 VS RON97 and see if there are any differences in FC and power? Since ZC31S is one of the few cars designed to run on RON97, it will be a good platform to experiment the effects of different RON in such kind of car.
Well my old 1991 Lancer GTI 4G67 was also torsion beam at the rear, so I know how it is.

So far I couldn't notice any significant difference in FC between the 2 RON on this car. Both can achieve similar mileage so far. In terms of power also not much difference, just slightly more responsive on the 97.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
my old 1.3 saga gave about 3500 rpm at 110.
Same with my Wira 1.5 too.

Well my old 1991 Lancer GTI 4G67 was also torsion beam at the rear, so I know how it is.

So far I couldn't notice any significant difference in FC between the 2 RON on this car. Both can achieve similar mileage so far. In terms of power also not much difference, just slightly more responsive on the 97.
Din't know that the 5th gen Lancer uses torsion beam. So that is similar to Saga then.

Seems like you just debunked the myth about ZC31S requires RON97 to run. :biggrin:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

Seems like you just debunked the myth about ZC31S requires RON97 to run. :biggrin:
Just like I debunked the myth that Mark X should also use 97 coz it's tuned for 98 in Japan with very high compression ratio. :biggrin: Who knows maybe in the future I'll debunked more myths on RON requirement for other cars.

leinnz

Known Member
Sep 28, 2005
peace at last?
btw, i do notice on my bike (lejen 110), when on petronas, it easily died after stopping at traffic lights. even after warming up.
But with bhp or petron, it's ok. any reason?

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
peace at last?
btw, i do notice on my bike (lejen 110), when on petronas, it easily died after stopping at traffic lights. even after warming up.
Sometimes really cannot explain but change fuel can solve the matter......lol

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
peace at last?
Same petrol station? Or did you try other Petronas station?

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
peace at last?
My EX5 Kuasa Tinggi experience hard start and idling issues when cold if i'm using Petronas.

However your problem could be related to carburettor issues.get it service and change your fuel filter. I just solve fuel leak and engine backfires thru the carb problem by replacing the float and servicing the carb.its overflowing.last time had to set idling higher to avoid engine dies off at traffic light.

i wanted to try RON97 on the EX5 but shy to pump in...everyone at the station will be observing a guy pouring RON97 in an old kapchai.Maybe i have to pay at the pump using credit card.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
My EX5 Kuasa Tinggi experience hard start and idling issues when cold if i'm using Petronas.

However your problem could be related to carburettor issues.get it service and change your fuel filter. I just solve fuel leak and engine backfires thru the carb problem by replacing the float and servicing the carb.its overflowing.last time had to set idling higher to avoid engine dies off at traffic light.

i wanted to try RON97 on the EX5 but shy to pump in...everyone at the station will be observing a guy pouring RON97 in an old kapchai.Maybe i have to pay at the pump using credit card.
Most cars pump 95, but Uncle drive VR there, old car with peeling paint also pump 97, sometimes 100.....lol

Reactions: gunnerzz

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Finally, today I get my self a bottle of Tufoil at Eneos One Utama.

Initially, did a engine flush and replace my oil filter. Using ENEOS 10-30w mineral oil (the orange colour). After service take a spin for 1 hr, from LDP to Bangi just to get the feel of the newly service engine.

Stop at Bangi Petronas to pour a bottle of Tufoil. At first there was no difference .. left it engine running for 5 mins .. I can notice the roar of my engine getting lower and lower ! Woah man .. im getting...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience