All about tires (tyres) setup

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
Guys, I go all out,

I'm now on all rounded 225/45R17 setup. I believe this is the maximum setup for RD with stock suspension.

Installed it last Saturday, give myself no more margin. This is try and error basis.
After first install, tires touch the body when I turn my steering wheel, I was like, damn, need to go back to tires shop and change back old tyres. (Feel regret for not listening to Yu's advise :biggrin:). But it doesn't give me any problem when I drive straight and go over the bumb. Decide to drive home slow and check later because I'm rushing for another appointment.

The next day, drive out carefully, the heart broken sound came when I try to get out from garage, stop the car, walk down.

Realise that the tires touch the mudguard (not the fender). The mudguard occupied about 10mm space inside RD fender. Decide to take a try, remove the mudguard for driver side. Hey, realise that it doesn't give me any sound (no contact). Very happy, but heck, when I try to remove the mudguard at passenger side, it screw jam (never open for 7 years since it assembly :biggrin:). Send the car to Chui's workshop and seek his help to remove it. He also take awhile to remove the damn screw. I don't have the pic for after removed, share with you all the pic before. (too happy, forgot to snap pic)

here are some pics

Did you see any space between the tires and mudguard? LOL

overall view

Did you see the part with darker colour? There is the part the tires touch the mudguard..

Closer look

Will provide more photo after this weekend.

Share my setup

Front:
VR
17" x 7jj
Michelin Sport 225/45R17
Offset: +40 (plus 10mm spacer)

Rear:
VR
17" x 8jj
Continental SportContactII 225/45R17
Offset: +44 (no spacer)

PS: According to the tires shop owner, Michelin 225/45R17 is like normal tires 215/45R17. I did a comparison between a Hancook 215/50R17 with Michelin 225/45R17, Hancook 215/50R17 is wider and higher. So for safer, go for 215/45R17 for other brand.

Special thanks to Yu for the tires shop contact. :biggrin:

Update:
DO NOT install 225/45 R17 for the front, it will rub the fender
215/45 R17 shall be max size for RD1.

Last edited:

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
after remove the mudguard, nope.
But I need to do more testing.
Will take more snap shot this weekend.

Last edited:

Cow

1,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
KL
Visit site
dude i think you better roll your fenders or something..

i'm running on 195/55/16 and my tires will scrub the edge of the fender and scraping off pieces of rubber if I take a steep uphill right turn. But my ride is lowered la, so maybe that's why.

anyway, from the pics your tires look like they're about to touch the wheel well covers... wouldn't it scrape when you travel on uneven roads?

Ace

500 RPM
Mar 2, 2005
Penang
BS,
I have the same setup like yours. (tyre sizes) and tyre rub when turn. Its quite easy to solve. Just cut a portion of the mudguard out on the inner side and whola...no more rubbing even aggresive driving.

225/17/45 is the max for coupe already on stock suspension.

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
Ace, what tyre brand and model are you using? Yah, I took the whole mudguard out, instead of cutting it.
How did you do that? There is a screw at the inner part of the mudguard.

Cow, I'm not sure, I'll go for some rough driving over this weekend.
how many inches lowered?

Ace

500 RPM
Mar 2, 2005
Penang
BS,
It can be done. I managed to cut it out using only pen knife. Very easy. The inner screw doesn't affect at all. I'm using Hankook Optimo series. Took out the mudguard wasn't a good idea as all debris and water will splash up to your car body and scratch line all over.

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
Ace, i already have that problem even with that mudguard....

Cow

1,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
KL
Visit site
BlackSamurai said:
Ace, i already have that problem even with that mudguard....

i think cause your offset wider than stock. so somehow the tires manage to throw debri all over the side of your car...

dude, go for widebody la since you wanna put fat tires and all.. wide body, then get proper spacers and roll the shit out of your fenders.. fuyoh.then should be no problem already..

Yu911

Known Member
Aug 17, 2006
www.cardomain.com
I'm using 245/40/17, tell u what, it's not touching the mudgruard, it's touching the back of the mudgruard, the metal lah, the mudgruad already remove, hahaha.... will show some pic soon
BS, after remove the mudgruard, if u speed & break also turning, sure kena 1, b'coz the tire will go a bit back if u hard break, try & let me know:emoticon_U:

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
Cow said:
i think cause your offset wider than stock. so somehow the tires manage to throw debri all over the side of your car...
yah, possible.

Cow said:
dude, go for widebody la since you wanna put fat tires and all.. wide body, then get proper spacers and roll the shit out of your fenders.. fuyoh.then should be no problem already..
wide body? LOL. first wide body RD in malaysia like what daniel mention, no lah. No money and i still like the shape of original RD, only thing need to change is side skirt and bumper.

Yu911 said:
I'm using 245/40/17, tell u what, it's not touching the mudgruard, it's touching the back of the mudgruard, the metal lah, the mudgruad already remove, hahaha.... will show some pic soon
BS, after remove the mudgruard, if u speed & break also turning, sure kena 1, b'coz the tire will go a bit back if u hard break, try & let me know
taikor, how to do it? e-brake? :biggrin:

Last edited:

Ace

500 RPM
Mar 2, 2005
Penang
BS,
If mudguard removed will be even worst, more debris will splash up. I think I know why your tyre still rub. You are using spacer!. I'm using the exact size where no modification needed at all. So, it is a perfect fit.

When we test after cutting the mudguard. No rubbing at all!. The mechanic even try super hard tight turn cum breaking which scare the hell of me (I love my car man...) also didn't run. Unless under heavy load and do super hard turn then the back rub a bit only.

Cow,
There is no problem with the fender of coupe. The car was design with 17" wheel in mind. So, if you go with proper fit (215/40/17) and with standard suspension. You will have no problem at all. I go further by using (225/45/17 caused want more comfort) and just need to cut a little portion of the mudguard will solve the problem.

Cow

1,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
KL
Visit site
Ace said:
BS,
If mudguard removed will be even worst, more debris will splash up. I think I know why your tyre still rub. You are using spacer!. I'm using the exact size where no modification needed at all. So, it is a perfect fit.

When we test after cutting the mudguard. No rubbing at all!. The mechanic even try super hard tight turn cum breaking which scare the hell of me (I love my car man...) also didn't run. Unless under heavy load and do super hard turn then the back rub a bit only.

Cow,
There is no problem with the fender of coupe. The car was design with 17" wheel in mind. So, if you go with proper fit (215/40/17) and with standard suspension. You will have no problem at all. I go further by using (225/45/17 caused want more comfort) and just need to cut a little portion of the mudguard will solve the problem.
Ace,

you running on stock suspension?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Dear All ZTH Bro,

i thinking to add-in full set of ultra racing chassis enhancement bar to my lovely car, but when i group up everything before install total weight up to 30kg, i have feeling........ spending so much for reducing weight then suddenly add up 30kg.... :bawling::banghead:

therefore all bros, any solution???

thanks for all comment.:adore:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience