180sx bogging down

Aug 29, 2010
Calgary,Alberta
ok so i bought a 1991 180sx with a sr20det engine with 95xxx km and along the way i have bought aa new bov, air filter, s14 clutch, complete tune up and new fuel filter. My issue is whenever speed shift at high rpm my car looses power like its starving itself, when i granny shift it works just fine, any ideas please let me know thanks

Temujin

1,000 RPM
Nov 5, 2004
Selangor
Visit site
Perhaps the culprit is the BOV?

What do u mean by complete tune up? My previous 180SX with a BOV as well as my current car had similar problems during high rpm shifting due to the car and the mass airflow sensor was not tuned to the BOV..

Quoting from http://www.answers.com/topic/blowoff-valve,

In the case where a mass airflow sensor is used and must be located prior to the blowoff valve, the engine control unit (ECU) will meter out excess fuel because the atmospherically vented air is not subtracted from the intake charge measurements. The engine then briefly operates with a fuel-rich mixture after each valve actuation.

The rich mixing can lead to hesitation or even stalling of the engine when the throttle is closed, a situation that worsens with higher boost pressures. Occasional events of this type may be only a nuisance, but frequent events can eventually foul the spark plugs and destroy the catalytic converter, as the inefficiently combusted fuel produces soot (excess carbon) and unburned fuel in the exhaust flow can produce soot in the converter and drive the converter beyond its normal operating temperature range.

So unless u did a 'complete tune up' that would at least include a piggyback then my best bet would be the BOV. I got myself a standalone for both my ex-180sx as well as the current car, and the problem ceases after tuning and replacing the MAF with the MAP sensor (manifold absolute pressure).. Another solution to this is to recirculate the air back to ur intake piping, but at the expense of the typical BOV kapishh sound..

Hope this helps..

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Today, we would like to share with you this very special detailing session we did for this Perodua Kenari. We want to show you that it doesn't matter what you drive, how expensive is the car, how high end is the car, at the end of the day, protection is a must and when there is less to no protection over the past 10 years, this is what you get...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience