owning a 180sx

ntahlerz

ntahlerz

May 24, 2006
hi guys...not an 180sx owner but possibly will buy one if budget permits...prefer sr20det motor.
i have a couple of question to ask. how is the fuel consumption?(liter/km or km/liter). what about maintenance? anyone here using it as a daily driven? meaning that using it to commute to work etc.
i can't afford to have two car at the same time, so if i get a 180sx it will be driven daily 100%.

thanks guys

Last edited:

egb18c

500 RPM

egb18c

500 RPM
Feb 8, 2006
kuantan
own it about 2 years now.hate it at first,slower than my honda civic eg,first turbo kong,then power steering leak,then the coil pack.found out that the cause all of that shit was fuel pump was faulty,not enough pressure,juice.
now i cant set my mind to drive it slowly.hehehe.
mileage,about 50km per RM10 of ron95,drive it really2 slowly.80kmh with the boost gauge pointing at vacuum only.heeeheee.
daily driven ok,only kaki wont patient enough to step on the pedal slowly and gently.

owh my car is stock one only,with FMIC and exhaust done,boost also at 0.7bar since havent bought FPR and Fuel pump.

for me its better to buy a modded 180sx rather than virgin one,unless u have a lot of money.
and last but not least,changing from civic to 180sx,i drive my car more grandmally.slow and cool.never pushed that car really hard,dont know why.maybe m already old.hehe

Last edited:

underslyder

Known Member

underslyder

Known Member
Dec 27, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
i have 3 180sx up to date. Its a very reliable car! seldom give me problems. Dont expect it to be 100% though, as the parts are mostly second hand or aging. One of the guys that has been fixing such cars for year are no other than Mr Leong from My Ride autoworks Taman Mayang PJ, so therefore you can actually look for him for advice.

I currently have a track 180sx and a road legal FD3s and i would still feel safe in a 180sx in terms of reliability as compared to my FD as i am still not very familiar with rotary yet.

slide_it

Known Member

slide_it

Known Member
Oct 31, 2007
my daily was a 180sx but now its retired as weekend car.

u gotta be mentally n financially prepared for car issues which will hamper your transport to/for work. and also be mindful abt where u park.

im not saying it breakdown often, just that it is a 20 yr old car and parts wear and tear. but for the 2.5 yrs being my daily, it was pretty reliable. oh and make sure ur clutch is traffic jam frenly.

Temujin

1,000 RPM

Temujin

1,000 RPM
Nov 5, 2004
Selangor
Visit site
my daily was a 180sx but now its retired as weekend car.

u gotta be mentally n financially prepared for car issues which will hamper your transport to/for work. and also be mindful abt where u park.

im not saying it breakdown often, just that it is a 20 yr old car and parts wear and tear. but for the 2.5 yrs being my daily, it was pretty reliable. oh and make sure ur clutch is traffic jam frenly.
True.

I daily drove my ex-180SX for 4 years as well as bi-weekly travels from KL-Muar. Rebuilt the engine when I got the car, so engine-wise was very reliable. Was pushing around 340whp.

FC is very subjective, depends on the tuning, power as well as the weight of the right foot. Obviously u can't expect the FC to be like a Myvi, Vios or any other common cars, this is a car that is usually modded. Even a stock SR20DET has higher fuel consumption than ur friendly neighbourhood Civic.

Maintenance wise differ; if ur lucky to have a good car then it should be at a minimum. But most 180SX in the market would have had modifications and/or engine transplants at least once in its lifetime. Used parts are currently available, though price varies and my go up middle of this year once the legislation to ban imports of used parts. No problems to source new aftermarket parts, they're are expensive though.

To have such old car as a daily driver may be a big risk, i've had to borrow my family cars when the 180SX required to be sent to the workshop. So if u wrre to ask me, the car may not be suitable for daily drives if u do not have a 2nd car. Though, i do know a couple of people driving such cars daily without any problems.

Getting such cars at this current market is very trivial as chances to get stock unmolested cars are next to none. I was lucky to get a stock standard 180SX and later a stock standard BNR32. Good luck in ur search, hope u would find a good car.

Final advice, do have some money in case some thing breaks or needs replacing once u got the car. I would say around 10-20k should be usually sufficient. And if possible get a cheaper to maintain 2nd car such as Myvi as a back up.

Cheers.

slide_it

Known Member

slide_it

Known Member
Oct 31, 2007
True.

Getting such cars at this current market is very trivial as chances to get stock unmolested cars are next to none. I was lucky to get a stock standard 180SX and later a stock standard BNR32. Good luck in ur search, hope u would find a good car.
yeah. the mod bug will bite u. u cant run away from it.

theres one behind my house, maroon karer, lady driver. its so stock the rims are the fugly factory wheels. its prolly running a CA.

egb18c

500 RPM

egb18c

500 RPM
Feb 8, 2006
kuantan
CA is a good engine but parts for it is much hard to find rather than a sr20.even though sr20 is not as powerful as 4g63 or b8,but the sound come out of it,pure rempit.hehe.

reddice

1,000 RPM

reddice

1,000 RPM
Jul 16, 2004
Tochigi Japan
japan.com
own a 180sx for 2 years :)

u gotta have some backup money..and do change the basic wear and tear first.
such as :

engine oil
radiator cap
gearbox engine
lsd engine
etc,etc...

for better handling maybe the bushing :)
and choose a good chassis .search a little more.
FC is good.
like egb18c says,i also drive my 180sx slower than my previous integra. i also dont know why.sayang and takut rosak maybe.hahahha...

up till now i have spend maybe around 15k for new engine change due to overheat,4 pot brake,rim,adjustable,bodykit and mostly engine stuff.

but once u get it in the perfect setting.this car is very easy to maintain.
and put some security feature..u really need that :)

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak
i think when u actually own a 180sx, u could see the car 2nd value soaring. so even if u spent some money on it, at best you will break even and the other owner gets to enjoy your rebuild!

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Aug 3, 2007
one nice modded 180sx in marketplace..tempting, just price is out of my budget.:(

ntahlerz

ntahlerz

May 24, 2006
thanks for all of the opinions...looks like i'll have to save up some money. make the 180sx as a second car.my work need me to travel quite a bit everyday.currently driving b18c ek sedan.so i think i'll keep it,save up some money,then i'll buy a 180sx...im itching to drift actually...hehehe...

egb18c

500 RPM

egb18c

500 RPM
Feb 8, 2006
kuantan
ok,yesterday just got back from kuantan,taking my baby back to kl.so ive manage to get 65 per rm10,hehe.true story,first rm35 from kuantan to kl.then at sampai s.alam,calculate back.still 65km per rm10.
the secret remedy is.....put a silencer on ur muffler,u'll drive like a grandma+theres no power at all.barely kecepish.

another thing.how much is the labour cost for changing ur gearbox oil?

duhill

Known Member

duhill

Known Member
Oct 21, 2005
It is a car you will not regret to buy it but will very very regret after you sell it.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

dudes, my mom's perdana executive also the auto gearbox koyak la.............
spent about 3K plus to buy 2nd hand gearbox but still not cekap la.......
when accelerate from stationary, have to do it very slowly otherwise the gear will jump from 1st gear to 2nd n got load thud sound.........
anyone can give me any advice?
what can we do to get rid of this problem?
we just replaced the shock absorbers n both upper n lower arms on both sides so now only the gearbox is a main...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience