Notebook Security Thread

Mandrake

Known Member
Jun 19, 2005
JB
www.benjaminwang.com
There has been a recent trend of targeting the cars of notebook carriers, perhaps we can share some advice here on how to avoid being targeted and keeping a low profile.

1. Turn off your WiFi
Some notebooks even when suspended or even off might still transmit a wifi signal. If there is an switch, turn it off or you use a plugin wireless card pull it out and keep it in the bag.

Though you are not at risk of being hacked, this signal can still be detected. There are people here claiming that there are "notebook detector devices" used by the organised syndicates, these are nothing more than your common wifi detector keychains, so don't be fooled and don't be afraid, just be careful.

2. Don't use your notebook bag
Thats the most obvious sign of a notebook computer. Instead get a softcase and put your notebook in a normal backpack. If your a businessperson and need to maintain an image, then buy an expensive briefcase.

3. Don't leave it in the car
Same with any expensive item. If you must leave it, then consider having a boot safe installed.

4. Get insurance
If its a personal notebook, then you might want to get insurance against theft, even the cheapest notebook is greater than RM1K

5. The low profile

Anything else to add?

gunter

Known Member
Jun 11, 2004
6. If u don't mind the added weight, can carry the notebook with u.
7. Take out the battery
8. Keep your notebook beforehand, not just before u leave the car

psyk

Known Member
Feb 22, 2005
9. prankster.. put a 'bomb' in a notebook bag, triggered when it gets out of signal range(means no communication between bag and car).. notebook bag handle/strap made outta metal, connects to the 'bomb', once out of range it lets out few hundred volts of electricity, disabling the thief, then car calls owner, owner comes back with a posse and beats the crap outta the thief, then hands him over to the authorities.. ..

*imagine spreading this as an urban legend with almost true-like stories on blogs all over of such an incident.. it should somewhat scare the thieves from trying to hijack suspected cars with notebooks.. :)

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

all sifus..just want to get advice from u all. can or not if i swap the engine myself, full half cut? any difficulties thing appear when i do it myself? my car is toyota ee100 1.3L and to swap to ae101 silvertop manual. i got basic experience about car and technical. what do you thing??? anybody got experience when swap that engine?? any problem appeared??
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience