Any member drives Frontiers ??

gavan

1,000 RPM
Apr 14, 2004
Shah Alam
Visit site
nah, i scraped that idea. Was thinking of making some noises buthen i noticed that my ride is already loud enough. Hahaha and i got quoted fantastic pricings for the exhaust systems so i decided just leave it stock. Might do an extension of the rear part but at the moment my bumper has been clean for quite long. I wonder whatever happened to the black smoke all, i think shell is doing a good job with their new diesel. =P

E-LiTE

Known Member
Jun 14, 2006
Hello ppl here, I know cawyn and gavan here. Both highly dangerous Frontier drivers. :driver::biggrin:

Since my friend cawyn is highly interested in replacing his exhaust, I did a bit of reading.

Diesels performance tuning and petrol tuning is very different. After a trip to the exhaust shop and some reading on diesels, my advice would be a 2.5 inch piping (preferably bigger at the front). Stock is at 1.7-2.0inch. And then plenty of straight pipes and high flow midbox and straight high flow muffler. You might be doubting whether it would be noisy or not? I thought so, but I was wrong. Diesels have low rpm range so the mass of exhaust air is a lot, but the velocity is slow, hence very little noise. I was thinking of exiting the exhaust at the side :rofl:

Then what bout your off-boost power. I agree it might suffer a bit but with your Frontiers, 80% of the time you would be on-boost. And this high flowing exhaust also helps your turbo spool earlier.

But I have another ques for you guys here, since I heard frm cawyn tht Frontier uses a mechanical injector :itsme::itsme:Wouldn't it be a dream come true for all of us? Tuning the AFR would be simple without going through all the electronics. A simple screw or nut will make your car produce black smoke or no smoke.

Btw, someone pls shoot cawyn down as he still has not installed his boost gauge which has been rotting for over a year already.

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
boost gauge~~boost gauge~~boost gauge~~

Elite, nice to meet you...you change your exhaust already?

traize

500 RPM
Jul 9, 2006
mechanical injector is har to make it fast, coz no performance injector available but i heard tht there a pump u can use to make it faster

gavan

1,000 RPM
Apr 14, 2004
Shah Alam
Visit site
yes you are right about the mechanical injector part and only a pump upgrade can increase the engine's performance. I will be removing my s-flow rear box soon. hopefully with some $$ i can get a replacement bullet for it cause a box would be costly cause frontier's piping is around 2.3-2.5" in size and its not a 2.0. the 2.0 piping size is the same as my old car the Daihatsu Charade(modded) and edward, you might had seen the car before, if not, ask Zam or Amir or any of the oldies which had seen and been in my old car before.

the regular exhaust shop i which i had visited and also the one that helped me through some of my exhaust mods on my old ride also did encourage me to maintain my original exhaust piping since i'm still running the stock turbo and also just recommended me to remove the front box and the rear s-flow box and replace it with a straight thru box and bullet. reason why i had not done that yet is because its bloody costly to do so. so maybe i'll just remove the rear s-flow box to improve flow for the engine but i'm gonna maintain the same piping size to prevent turbo lag and also too back pressure lost due to the straight flow setup.

btw, frontier turbo's only kicks in around 1.9k-2k RPM on the average. before that the engine is running purely NA and it can be really underpowered especially when climbing steep hills. i personally experiance this during my offroad trips where i had to engage 4L in order to make it up the hill without bogging the engine down in first gear on 4H. so with increase lag, offroading becomes slightly harder and when you are encountered with places where you would need to mantain low wheel spin and gain as much torque as you can to pull you out of the ruts and up hills, bigger piping is not an answer for that. =)

so yeah, thats my input on exhaust pipings for the frontier la. so most likely i would only remove the s-flow box and replace it with either a piping or a bullet. or if cawyn wants to do that first, by all means please try it out and lemme listen to the car i wanna know if its gonna increase the noise anot... hehe... relatively turbo makes less noise compared to NA as most of the exhaust note is muffled by the turbo. so im sure Phoenix would be quieter compared to Minizilla with the same setup. =)

E-LiTE

Known Member
Jun 14, 2006
boost gauge~~boost gauge~~boost gauge~~

Elite, nice to meet you...you change your exhaust already?
I don't drive a Frontier, I am a petrolhead :D Now I am carless :(

yes you are right about the mechanical injector part and only a pump upgrade can increase the engine's performance. I will be removing my s-flow rear box soon. hopefully with some $$ i can get a replacement bullet for it cause a box would be costly cause frontier's piping is around 2.3-2.5" in size and its not a 2.0. the 2.0 piping size is the same as my old car the Daihatsu Charade(modded) and edward, you might had seen the car before, if not, ask Zam or Amir or any of the oldies which had seen and been in my old car before.

the regular exhaust shop i which i had visited and also the one that helped me through some of my exhaust mods on my old ride also did encourage me to maintain my original exhaust piping since i'm still running the stock turbo and also just recommended me to remove the front box and the rear s-flow box and replace it with a straight thru box and bullet. reason why i had not done that yet is because its bloody costly to do so. so maybe i'll just remove the rear s-flow box to improve flow for the engine but i'm gonna maintain the same piping size to prevent turbo lag and also too back pressure lost due to the straight flow setup.

btw, frontier turbo's only kicks in around 1.9k-2k RPM on the average. before that the engine is running purely NA and it can be really underpowered especially when climbing steep hills. i personally experiance this during my offroad trips where i had to engage 4L in order to make it up the hill without bogging the engine down in first gear on 4H. so with increase lag, offroading becomes slightly harder and when you are encountered with places where you would need to mantain low wheel spin and gain as much torque as you can to pull you out of the ruts and up hills, bigger piping is not an answer for that. =)

so yeah, thats my input on exhaust pipings for the frontier la. so most likely i would only remove the s-flow box and replace it with either a piping or a bullet. or if cawyn wants to do that first, by all means please try it out and lemme listen to the car i wanna know if its gonna increase the noise anot... hehe... relatively turbo makes less noise compared to NA as most of the exhaust note is muffled by the turbo. so im sure Phoenix would be quieter compared to Minizilla with the same setup. =)
No I haven't seen your Charade. Easiest way is to disconnect the rear part of the exhaust and then go rev your engine. And cawyn never goes offroad. And the only time he engages 4WD is when he is touge-ing with his frontier :smokin:

gavan

1,000 RPM
Apr 14, 2004
Shah Alam
Visit site
btw, engaging 4wd on normal tar road would just kill the gear box. its not an electronic controlled gearbox so the torque and axles are locked when engaged. =) thats the reason they recommend using it only on loose terrain. =) do that often enough i think the front hubs won't even work anymore and you would be running in 2WD even when the lever is at 4H or 4L. =) you can ask jimbo bout that, he was with us @ slim river and his ride was all the time in 2WD even when the lever was already at 4H or 4L. only the ratio changed... lol... his auto-hubs kaputted already.

Bump: btw, just wanna ask if anyone here had tried putting in 275/70R16 tires on their stock 7.0jjx16 rims before?

whats the biggest size of tires and tire type you could run on the stock setup with the alloy 7jjx16" rims?

i am thinking of the silverstone MT117-EX or the AT-117 Special. =)

Bump: btw, just wanna ask if anyone here had tried putting in 275/70R16 tires on their stock 7.0jjx16 rims before?

whats the biggest size of tires and tire type you could run on the stock setup with the alloy 7jjx16" rims?

cawyn

Known Member
Feb 19, 2008
btw, engaging 4wd on normal tar road would just kill the gear box. its not an electronic controlled gearbox so the torque and axles are locked when engaged. =) thats the reason they recommend using it only on loose terrain. =) do that often enough i think the front hubs won't even work anymore and you would be running in 2WD even when the lever is at 4H or 4L. =) you can ask jimbo bout that, he was with us @ slim river and his ride was all the time in 2WD even when the lever was already at 4H or 4L. only the ratio changed... lol... his auto-hubs kaputted already.
oopsie daisy. ahahahaha. looks like i won't be using alot of that 4wd anymore. hee hee. anyways, thanks alot for the info gavan! really useful. i was just checking around lah actually, cos i was pretty interested to change the exhaust system.

my plan was actually like this -
1) from the cat-con, 2.2" to the midbox. from the mid-box, 2.5" to the rear muffler.
2)from the cat-con, 2.2" to the midbox. then just a simple 90' turn (to compensate the hard turn of this, this part will be enlarged abit) and put one exhaust tip there. so the tip will be at the side of the car instead of the rear as usual.

i really dunno about the biggest size, but according to what you said, i only seen 275/70R16 tires like the at-117 tires on diff rims.. and i think they fit in wheel spacers to compensate the extra width too. but im damn blur about this laaa, so im prolly wrong..

btw, anyone here knows where to get them wheel spacers for the frontier?

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Gavan, I put 245 only on the stock stell rim. My uncle said can put 275 but it will not fully utilize the tyre surface because the steel rim is not wide enough.

gavan

1,000 RPM
Apr 14, 2004
Shah Alam
Visit site
LoL, cawyn, must wait for the cows to start flying oni you reply meh? Hahaha... you can order spacers from OTW. i think i saw it on his website before. =) gonna set you back some money la but for you, its peanuts i think? =P

TitanRev, whats the width of your steel rims yeah?? 6.0jjx16?? reason why i was asking cause tire bottakking already, need to change not too long more, so wanna look for widest size possible without changing rims or the suspension and i was thinking somewhere along the lines of AT or MT cause of obvious reasons la, HT just not enough grip offroad. =(

traize

500 RPM
Jul 9, 2006
yokohama geolander AT not At+II, tht 1 is good traction offroad i use now on my pajero over a year still got 90%tread not even botak yet, i always travel to jb (every week) frm kl drive at 140 -160km/j, then go to kebun still no prob even on mud still ok, but my fren using hilux sangkut even he use AT goodyear brand i think

gavan

1,000 RPM
Apr 14, 2004
Shah Alam
Visit site
oh yaka? whats the size? pajero using 15 inch right? or u mod to 16" already? i saw some continental AT tires also. the thread looks garang. traction offroad wise i dunno la... =(

Bump: oh yaka? whats the size? pajero using 15 inch right? or u mod to 16" already? i saw some continental AT tires also. the thread looks garang. traction offroad wise i dunno la... =(

traize

500 RPM
Jul 9, 2006
still 15 but big offset as tht the lightest on mud u need to float rather thn sink, yeah some tread look good but useless, tht the case with my fren, his tread look like MT i so jelous but when off road he jelous of me, hahaha, oh 2nd choice is bf goodrich, sime tyre, as this 3 company specialize on 4x4 tyre, even their h/t tyre can go for mild off road

gavan

1,000 RPM
Apr 14, 2004
Shah Alam
Visit site
LoL, that one i know... i used the simex tires offroad to Ulu Slim where most people would go in with MT's or AT's. Hahaha, can reach campsite samor and didn't get sangkut when river crossing(touch wood, not yet la). my friend pajero, fully modded for offroad also sangkut when river crossing, using AT's samor... hehehe... =P

damn, i feel like going camping at Ulu Slim la... ish ish... =(

traize

500 RPM
Jul 9, 2006
hmm, too bad my car already mod for highway use only, later i buy 1 more 4x4 n mod it till hardcore level, 6" lift and different gear ratio with air locker, too bad need money

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi all,

on most tri y headers, i noticed pairing of cylinder 1 and 4, 2 and 3 (1-4, 2-3) which forms non-sequential header but i saw some tri y headers have pairings of 1-2, 3-4 which forms sequential header

im hunting for new tri y header but im confused with which one to choose to suit overall street performance output

anyone can enlighten me on the effect of pairings of header primaries on the power curve?
it will be good if i know the difference so i can choose which one is...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience