RON95 & RON97 Myths and Facts

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Well as I mentioned above, I'm now running the ZC31S just using 95, no issues or knocking and power also still fine, maybe just a tad less aggressive if I'm being very picky but no big deal. So, it's not really a high performance engine and it can still drink 95. :lol: Even high performance engines like some Ferraris & Lambos do not require 97. Many high performance turbo engines also can still drink 95 if tuned for that.
So, by tweaking the ECU, ZC31S can actually run on 95 or it can do so on pure stock form? By the way, congratulations on your new car. :biggrin:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
So, by tweaking the ECU, ZC31S can actually run on 95 or it can do so on pure stock form? By the way, congratulations on your new car. :biggrin:
Didn't get to try much on the stock map but I think also should be fine.
Thx, it's for my son actually but in the mean time I'm using it first. My wife said I have a new toy to play with now. :biggrin:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
but my car have been on petron since esso back then... lol...

shelll the fuel finished fast...
petronas low on power but mileage ok2...
petron gave me good mileage and good power...
bhp more or less similar to petron...(but petron station plenty more than bhp)
caltex..the active cleaning does work!.... tested on my bike that have too many carbon deposits...it actually makes the carbon fragment to flake off upon inspection of the spark plug...

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
My current experience with RON95 after switching from RON97 is some smoke smell when accelerate very hard. My mech said its normal ?

Car is Lancer with 4B11 N/A, anyone can clarify on this ?
Hi all,

Think my question was overran by other comments, above has been bugging me quite awhile, oh yeah, am using Shell RON95, no knocking or pinging detected but can detect some smoke smells when i rev over 5k. Engine idle and rev as usual.

Thanks,
Ken

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Hi all,

Think my question was overran by other comments, above has been bugging me quite awhile, oh yeah, am using Shell RON95, no knocking or pinging detected but can detect some smoke smells when i rev over 5k. Engine idle and rev as usual.

Thanks,
Ken
I never noticed smell. But pinging was apparent in my old Wira which had a lot of stuff done to it.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Didn't get to try much on the stock map but I think also should be fine.
Thx, it's for my son actually but in the mean time I'm using it first. My wife said I have a new toy to play with now. :biggrin:
After years of not driving manual since your Mitsubishi days in Jakarta, it probably feels great again for you to drive a manual again. How is the power of this ZC31S? Weaker than the 4G93 Lancer that you had before?

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Hi all,

Thanks,
Ken
sometimes when i pump in ron97 into my waja, i do notice different smell after startup.switch back to ron95 then the smell is gone. could be my nose already immune to ron95 exhaust scent.

If not mistaken,modern with ecu can detect pinging and adjust the timing accordingly but only up to certain extend.could be the engine is adapting until it caused unburnt fuel?
just my 2 cent....

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
but my car have been on petron since esso back then... lol...

shelll the fuel finished fast...
petronas low on power but mileage ok2...
petron gave me good mileage and good power...
bhp more or less similar to petron...(but petron station plenty more than bhp)
caltex..the active cleaning does work!.... tested on my bike that have too many carbon deposits...it actually makes the carbon fragment to flake off upon inspection of the spark plug...
I tried V power racing in VR and yes, the fuel seems to finish faster.
Tried Fuel save 97 VR no power
On Petron most of the time and whether 97 or 95 got power
Yup, for me BHP same as Petron
Caltex and Petronas did not try.....lol

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
After years of not driving manual since your Mitsubishi days in Jakarta, it probably feels great again for you to drive a manual again. How is the power of this ZC31S? Weaker than the 4G93 Lancer that you had before?
Yeah, it's good to drive manual again. The car is a bundle of fun! It's pretty fast, at least as quick as my CB5 for acceleration if not quicker, maybe just loosing out on top speeds above 160kph due to the shorter gearing (110kph @4000 rpm already). What's even more fun is the handling! The steering is nicely weighted with good feel, the handling is sharp and surprisingly very neutral for a FWD car with excellent grip! However I feel it's also a bit more nervous under braking, especially when braking in a corner/bend as you'd feel the tail gets too uneasy than usual/other cars I've driven. Not sure if this is normal for all SSS or is it just my car. The brake pedal is also a bit too soft even though the braking is good. Other than that, the car is great and surprisingly also very fuel efficient. I've been driving pretty aggressively very often and yet it can still get me about 11km/ltr. So I'm very happy with my purchase.

Last edited:

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Yeah, it's good to drive manual again. The car is a bundle of fun! It's pretty fast, at least as quick as my CB5 for acceleration if not quicker, maybe just loosing out on top speeds above 160kph due to the shorter gearing (110kph @4000 rpm already). What's even more fun is the handling! The steering is nicely weighted with good feel, the handling is sharp and surprisingly very neutral for a FWD car with excellent grip! However I feel it's also a bit more nervous under braking, especially when braking in a corner/bend as you'd feel the tail gets too uneasy than usual/other cars I've driven. Not sure if this is normal for all SSS or is it just my car. The brake pedal is also a bit too soft even though the braking is good. Other than that, the car is great and surprisingly also very fuel efficient. I've been driving pretty aggressively very often and yet it can still get me about 11km/ltr. So I'm very happy with my purchase.
You should start a thread to talk about the pros and cons of the SSS, and it’s quirks.

Would be an interesting topic. 110km@4000rpm is crazy high. Myvi is about 3000rpm only.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
I never noticed smell. But pinging was apparent in my old Wira which had a lot of stuff done to it.
Mine has no pinging or knocking at all, been using it for almost half a year and the smell is still there during hard acceleration. I have yet to switch back to RON97 once in a while. Now my petrol is almost free after recent promotion :)

Thanks,
Ken

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
sometimes when i pump in ron97 into my waja, i do notice different smell after startup.switch back to ron95 then the smell is gone. could be my nose already immune to ron95 exhaust scent.

If not mistaken,modern with ecu can detect pinging and adjust the timing accordingly but only up to certain extend.could be the engine is adapting until it caused unburnt fuel?
just my 2 cent....
Engine has long adapted to it, my idle is very stable. It only happens during hard acceleration.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Wow, gear ratio so short, 110kph at 4k rpm, so high speed engine is roaring......
You should start a thread to talk about the pros and cons of the SSS, and it’s quirks.

Would be an interesting topic. 110km@4000rpm is crazy high. Myvi is about 3000rpm only.
Yeah, very short gear ratio, so it's thundering on highway speeds! :biggrin: Haven't checked with the club if they also have the same or my final gear has actually been changed to shorter. But anyway I'm fine with it since the acceleration is very responsive and since this is actually for my boy, then it should deter him from speeding too high. Also fuel consumption still very good despite that.

Yeah maybe later I start another thread once I got to learn more about the car. :)

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Zth is about sharing information, so here goes the story.

My Recipe:
3 Bottles of Ace Hardware Motor Oil 10W40 (1L Each Bottle at RM5.50) = RM16.50
1 Bottle of Tufoil = RM59.00
1 can of Top1 Engine Flush = RM10.00
1 Fresh OEM Toyota Oil Filter = RM15.00
Total: RM100.50

Verdict:
Skeptical at first but fell in love with the results immediately after the first 20 minutes of engine shake-downs. On daily basis, I drive my 4A-GE 20V hard, really hard, 4000-8000RPM is my regular operating revs...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience