New Group: Rat Rods Malaysia

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

everblur

Known Member
Mar 9, 2006
Rat Rods Malaysia: Cars for the Rock Stars

Hello everyone,

I'm starting a new group called Rat Rods Malaysia. The Malaysian car scene is dominated by mainly imported sports cars. I am a big fan of imports but recently I have gotten myself into something very new in Malaysia.

Not many people know about it and so far I've met one guy who's building this type of car in his garage. What am I talking about? I'm talking about Rat Rods! :thrasher: To know more about these cars, please join my Facebook group.

I hope to see more and more of these cool cars on the street. It might not be everyone's thing but hey no harm starting a group.

Thanks! :biggrin:

Aaron
President of Rat Rods Malaysia

Last edited:

clanzkiller

1,000 RPM
Oct 31, 2006
tat's why..i also got no idea..clicked on the link..need to login on facebook..no facebook acc how to see le?lol

drag_addict

Known Member
May 5, 2006
first of all its always a good effort of trying to bring in something new..
correct me if i'm wrong, but aren't Rat Rods the 'unfinished version' of hot rods? it does not have much difference with its cousin Hot Rod in other words just minus all the 'bling bling' factor, only bare essentials that makes it driveable..also not forgetting some of the custom job like 'zeeing' the chassis to make the car looks lower? chopped top? big block engines? and the list goes on and on.....................

hmmm..seriously, good luck dude!:dontknow:

Last edited:

ExceL

1,500 RPM
Jan 6, 2004
Ampang/KL
Visit site
I wondered when this will catch on here.. Personally I love rat rods, especially those exaggerated ones, a.k.a; lookers but impossible to drive (legally).

I'v seen people making their hood's rust (salt+rain water), but thats as far as it goes with non-retro rides. It'd still be interesting to see a rat rod scene here.

I thought a volksrod scene woule be more popular or catch on faster.

Example of a Volks rod

Wikipedia- Rat rod http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat_rod

Last edited by a moderator:

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
cool idea. Are rat rod car legal in malaysian road? Any rule/regulation in jpj that states anything abt rat rod?

ExceL

1,500 RPM
Jan 6, 2004
Ampang/KL
Visit site
cool idea. Are rat rod car legal in malaysian road? Any rule/regulation in jpj that states anything abt rat rod?
I dont think the JPJ specifically states anything directly related to rat rodding your ride, but c'mon.. you cant rat rod a shitty straight 4 with a modern body on it :rofl:

Last thing you want is to have the looks of a ratrod, but the sound of a souped-up vespa (no offence to vespa owners :biggrin:)

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
haha, but knowing malaysian that are damn creative, they can rat, hamster or mouse anything.....esp with fibreglass material

Anyway, it would be an eye opener to see a rat rod in Malaysia though.

everblur

Known Member
Mar 9, 2006
Hi everyone! Sorry I didn't know this thread is active! ZTH didn't send me any updates. Anyway for those who don't have a Facebook account, I'll try to get something up...

Here's Wikipedia's explanation on Rat Rods:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat_rod

Now with regards to whether these cars are street legal in Malaysia? To be honest, I doubt it! It's more like a hobby car but it's still possible to make it street legal (just like how we make our turbofied Protons legal hehehehe). There is someone who is already building a rat rod. His name is Robbie Krishnan. Do check his website:

http://www.amcmotorsasia.com

He has pics of his rat rod project up on his Facebook account. Unfortunately you need a Facebook account to view it.

This is just the beginning but I hope we can start something new or create our own version of rat rods. I've seen people using the 1st generation Honda Civic as a rat rod! It doesn't qualify as a rat rod to the Americans but hey its unique and gets a lot of attention!

ExceL

1,500 RPM
Jan 6, 2004
Ampang/KL
Visit site
He has pics of his rat rod project up on his Facebook account. Unfortunately you need a Facebook account to view it.
Why dont you mirror them & post it here.

I hope people understand that ratrods are not unfinished hotrod's perse, but rather an exaggerated form of a vehicle, but because of the lack of parts/knowledge/culture/history/whathaveyou.. I think if this scene does get bigger, it'd be mostly Rat-lookers, and thats not a bad thing either ;).

everblur

Known Member
Mar 9, 2006

Here's are some of the pics. If you want to see more let me know. It's more or less the same pics. This ain't "finished" yet.

I think rat rod would appeal to classic car enthusiast, rock music fans and the younger generation. But then again I'm not sure if it would appeal to Malaysians in general. Anyway keep the thread going. :proud: It's a good thing that people wants to know more about the sport.

ExceL

1,500 RPM
Jan 6, 2004
Ampang/KL
Visit site
^Ford Popular? :adore:

Ratters should be mechanically sound. I can almost hear some classic car purist screaming in pain at just the thought of a ratter :rofl: Screw them, its all about individual expression.

Where is this ride's home? Is he going to chop the roof?

everblur

Known Member
Mar 9, 2006
Hahahaha... yeah but this guy is a classic car enthusiast himself. It will start off as a rat rod and eventually a hot rod once it's done... He has 50 cars in his collection so I heard. If you're interested you can email him, [email protected].

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi,

I would like to know if anyone has tried the new pulstar plugs.
A friend's friend tried it and it seems to improve his car performance. I like to know for sure before I buy.

Meng
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience