Conversion GSR 1.8 Turbo (4G93T) - Wira/Satria/Putra

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
On the Blow Off Valve, yes you are right that when using BOV, the BOV releases the air into the atmosphere whereas the stock recirc valve basically does the same thing but it vents the air back into the turbo inlet, post Air Flow Sensor. Meaning if were to use a BOV, the ECU will think the air went into the engine and will inject the required fuel for that amount of air, but instead it is being released to the atmosphere, not entering the engine, but the ECU is still injecting that extra fuel. When this happens, many people encounter engine stalling issue, but if not mistaken in the e-manage I think there is a function to tune this out. So if you want to use a BOV, you better decide early so that you can enable that function in the emanage when you go for a tune.
this is a good read on BOV. hehe. sifu has spoken.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
The foreman shared some photos to give me insights and better understanding of how he would get the sunroof done. He is going to cut the roof of my wira (as seen in photo, same wira aeroback model but not my car) and place the halfcut sunroof into it with the frames together. The reasoning for this execution by the said foreman is to ensure rigidity and reliability. What do you think in your opinion?
You're gonna have an issue with JPJ if you do. Don't do la.

Nightstalker1993

Known Member
Aug 30, 2010
Subang Jaya
You're gonna have an issue with JPJ if you do. Don't do la.
JPJ guideline on sunroof

http://www.jpj.gov.my/web/main-site...panduan-pengubahsuaian-kenderaan-persendirian

Pemasangan Sun Roof / Moon Roof / Canvas Top Di Atas Bumbung Kenderaan

1. Pemasangan sun roof / moon roof / canvas top mestilah dilakukan dengan hanya menebuk sebahagian bumbung tanpa melibatkan pemotongan pillar bumbung asal atau pemotongan pada casis kenderaan.
  2. Pengubahsuaian tersebut mestilah dilakukan pada bahagian tengah bumbung sahaja dan tiada kesan sambungan atau kimpalan pada mana-mana bahagian yang lain.
And

http://www.jpj.gov.my/web/main-site/technical

Adakah pemasangan sunroof perlu mendapat kelulusan daripada pihak JPJ?

Pemasangan sunroof perlu mendapat kelulusan JPJ bagi memastikan kaedah yang digunakan semasa melakukan kerja-kerja pemasangan adalah bukan kaedah potong sambung.
looks like you need to get approval for sunroof

niklys

Known Member
Feb 6, 2016
Selangor
Ehh I thought I read somewhere saying you're in Penang haha. If you're passing by Subang maybe can meet once your car is running. No such thing as too big an exhaust for turbo. And you are running a turbo, all 4 cylinders merge at the turbo inlet already, what scavenging? :laugh:

Can read my build at my thread
http://www.zerotohundred.com/forums...-waja-project-many-pictures-be-warned.466945/

I'm using a large Tanabe Hyper Medallion 3" straight flow muffler together with a large 3" mid box. I don't experience droning, at least I don't think I do. You want can try sit my car and decide if it is quiet enough for you or not.
Oh, that’s great! Perhaps we find one time within this week to meet up, have a cup of teh tarik, and go for one round of short drive with your car? Additionally, you’re riding a GSR Waja right? The short drive would give me a good indicator on the exhaust note. Thanks for the offer bro!

niklys

Known Member
Feb 6, 2016
Selangor
Isn’t modification of sunroof no longer requires approval? I was informed by the mechanics, though they are not from official parties pertaining to JPJ requirements. In this case, I’ll definitely need to make a call to JPJ and identify this. Thanks for the heads up man!

niklys

Known Member
Feb 6, 2016
Selangor
Ehh I thought I read somewhere saying you're in Penang haha. If you're passing by Subang maybe can meet once your car is running. No such thing as too big an exhaust for turbo. And you are running a turbo, all 4 cylinders merge at the turbo inlet already, what scavenging? :laugh:

Can read my build at my thread
http://www.zerotohundred.com/forums...-waja-project-many-pictures-be-warned.466945/

I'm using a large Tanabe Hyper Medallion 3" straight flow muffler together with a large 3" mid box. I don't experience droning, at least I don't think I do. You want can try sit my car and decide if it is quiet enough for you or not.
Now i remembered! Prior to undergoing my GSR journey, i came across your thread as part of my research. Your car is such a silent killer! Looks modest from the outside, beast inside. Though, i have some question though on engine balancing. What would be the key factor motivating anyone to do engine balancing? Additionally, what are the advantages, disadvantages, and potential difficulties that may arise from doing so?

Nightstalker1993

Known Member
Aug 30, 2010
Subang Jaya
runner saja. and the method shown follows jpj guidelines. hehe.

haha. i follow your mivec thread. damn interesting. i plan to BOT my 93 single cam auto. but budget restriction, not gonna start soon.
BOT jerr, but plan well ahead. I started with my 4g18 BOT in 2012 lolz.

Oh, that’s great! Perhaps we find one time within this week to meet up, have a cup of teh tarik, and go for one round of short drive with your car? Additionally, you’re riding a GSR Waja right? The short drive would give me a good indicator on the exhaust note. Thanks for the offer bro!
This week don't think possible, Friday I will be going to Ipoh for outstation and tomorrow night I have function also.

Isn’t modification of sunroof no longer requires approval? I was informed by the mechanics, though they are not from official parties pertaining to JPJ requirements. In this case, I’ll definitely need to make a call to JPJ and identify this. Thanks for the heads up man!
Yes definitely call up JPJ to ask them in detail about this, calling them up directly is very helpful. Also if you want to save a decent amount of money, do the inspection yourself. You said runner charged rm500-1000 for endorsement kan? I endorsed my waja myself, with the huge intercooler in front and not-too-noisy-not-too-quiet exhaust also no issue, total cost if not mistaken around rm100 only siap with tukar nama punya inspection. I think if endorse engine inspection only RM50+ I think.

Now i remembered! Prior to undergoing my GSR journey, i came across your thread as part of my research. Your car is such a silent killer! Looks modest from the outside, beast inside. Though, i have some question though on engine balancing. What would be the key factor motivating anyone to do engine balancing? Additionally, what are the advantages, disadvantages, and potential difficulties that may arise from doing so?
More like outside look modest because don't have enough money for even a paintjob haha

Engine balancing there is only advantages and no disadvantages other than money, so if you have the money then just do it. Basically it reduces the vibrations generated from the imbalances of the rotating components. They also weigh and balance the piston and conrods as well, and also the whole flywhee, clutch and cover assembly. So in theory if you change your clutch, you'll need to send the clutch and flywheel for balancing again if you are really that OCD. My crankshaft is not only balanced, but also lightened slightly by knife-edging. The oil channel holes also had been grinded to a teardrop shape to improve oil flow.

Reactions: sanekit

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
In this case, how can we prevent the welding line from rust? Is there such methods to do so? Hmmmmm
My method for hidden area is to cover the weld and nearby surrounding area with primer. I used red oxide or metal oxide...dont recall the name.

After reading the JPJ guideline posted by nightstalker seems like your mech method is correct. Myself personally i dont mind cutting and welding of panel but totally against cutting and rewelding of support panel like the one on the roof.

Anyway i suggest u watch a youtube channel Arthur Tussik. With his skill i doubt body filler is required to cover imperfection unlike in our country where usage of body pillar is huge to cover even minor imperfection. I am also not a fan of body filler.

niklys

Known Member
Feb 6, 2016
Selangor
BOT jerr, but plan well ahead. I started with my 4g18 BOT in 2012 lolz.

This week don't think possible, Friday I will be going to Ipoh for outstation and tomorrow night I have function also.

Yes definitely call up JPJ to ask them in detail about this, calling them up directly is very helpful. Also if you want to save a decent amount of money, do the inspection yourself. You said runner charged rm500-1000 for endorsement kan? I endorsed my waja myself, with the huge intercooler in front and not-too-noisy-not-too-quiet exhaust also no issue, total cost if not mistaken around rm100 only siap with tukar nama punya inspection. I think if endorse engine inspection only RM50+ I think.

More like outside look modest because don't have enough money for even a paintjob haha

Engine balancing there is only advantages and no disadvantages other than money, so if you have the money then just do it. Basically it reduces the vibrations generated from the imbalances of the rotating components. They also weigh and balance the piston and conrods as well, and also the whole flywhee, clutch and cover assembly. So in theory if you change your clutch, you'll need to send the clutch and flywheel for balancing again if you are really that OCD. My crankshaft is not only balanced, but also lightened slightly by knife-edging. The oil channel holes also had been grinded to a teardrop shape to improve oil flow.
Arhhh, if this week not possible, worry not! Next week is there hahahaha. Noted on engine balancing matters. Shall not touch it until further horsepower upgrades are done. I’m afraid time is not a privilege for me to manage, in this case, I’ll let runner do although i like to manage to inspection myself for the experience. No choice, unfortunately.

niklys

Known Member
Feb 6, 2016
Selangor
Considering how bloody hot it is here... I don't understand why you'd want it anyway
One of my car project objective is to have a complete black themed out interior with level best modernism. It is due to the audi sunroof default layout of buttons, light, visors, holders, and utilities, which made me keen to replace the roof altogether. If i had other routes of getting a further modern roof interior layout, I would’ve went that route. Then again, the audi sunroof is able to grant me that by default. That’s why I’m going for it. There are the pitfalls of doing this, but manageable for me imo. Commonly, my cars are parked under shade in office or at home. Thus the sunroof would be a bonus when driving at night or hill drive (which i commonly do so with my future wife to meet my sister-in-law who works at Genting as their VP for family reunion).

Nightstalker1993

Known Member
Aug 30, 2010
Subang Jaya
Arhhh, if this week not possible, worry not! Next week is there hahahaha. Noted on engine balancing matters. Shall not touch it until further horsepower upgrades are done. I’m afraid time is not a privilege for me to manage, in this case, I’ll let runner do although i like to manage to inspection myself for the experience. No choice, unfortunately.
Yeah the issue is Friday I'll be outstation in ipoh for 2 weeks so yeah... Unless tomorrow afternoon you want a quick meet up maybe can squeeze in if you really want to hear the exhaust. But really, diy your endorsement so fast and easy. I did at Glenmarie puspakom, booked and paid online, technically can be done in 1 hour by 10am, but I sangkut tinting and hid lights(stupid me entered puspakom with hid Lolz), so the guy let me go back remove the tint and change back the hid, then go back puspakom there find him directly he terus clear me. Everything done by 12pm, then head to jpj update records and change name, kaotim.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

The Aussies love drag racing and some bad-ass modded cars, that could do wonders on the straight line. Their affection for speed, creates one of the craziest things around, in the planet, which includes a quad rotary 26B engine, tossed in a BMW 3 series coupe. The Sydney Jamboree is staged over an epic day/night here at Sydney Dragway. Check out this video that includes other awesome cars battling each other on...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience