Perdana V6 Gearbox Problem

ibnuimam

Apr 2, 2013
Kulai
Guys and sifus,

1. I owned 2nd-hand v6 2000 with stock 6a12 engine. Its give me few minor problems such as cannot start due to starter relay one time and Fuel Pump one time. one time with Check engine appear and car lost power but still can move. The problem is due to ECU rosak. change ECU, reset and OK.

2. Lately she can't reverse. It hard to reverse like your handbrake is applied. I just changed the ATF last 3 months. I decided to change the ATF but this time with filter. The magnet inside the takung full with sticky oil-waste (maybe the lendir are steelwaste from gears. After that all OK and it can reverse normally.

3. Is that the sign that my gearbox going to dead? Stock F4A 232

4. I read online a lot and ask few people about it. They hardly identify the real problem. Maybe it the signal because the millage is 425,215km. Check with EON to verify the gearbox is ok or not but sadly they just do Tuning. Cost me RM90 for tuning nonsense where i normally do RM30.

5. How to know the prob? can we know the prob by doing diagnose & scan?
Is it Torque converter? Valve Body? Solenoid? Clutch plate? or it just tersumbat?

6. I am using proton ATF since i bought the car. Got prob with it? Some Proton mach suggest to use ELF Renultmatic if gearbox are problem. they said lebih tahan panas. Some recommended to use Dexron III. Some suggest Gearbox treatment NASA/STP/X1R. Hmmmm....

7. My car got no Oil Cooler but I plan to install one. Can install 2 meh? hahaaha But need experience mach because it can cause gearbox lost of pressure. Lot of good comment from V6ers for pasang this oil cooler.

8. Do some survey:

a. Repair gearbox (change only rosak things) rm1k
b. Rebuilt RM1900
c. Overhaul the gearbox (change all parts) RM3200
d. Recond (change solenoid) RM 2900
e. Recond rm1300 to RM2500 (depend on workshop, warranty, expertise, parts, some include labour)
f. KATC tampoi RM2800 (Recond or rebuilt same price) But I think they very pro. Canggih2x punya machine ada. selonoid test ada, torque converter repair ada, transmission dyno test before put the GB into car pun ada.
g. Oil cooler RM270 - RM500

Some said recond we don't know the condition, history and the replacement part they use. Not many workshop can operate the transmission. So the suggestion is repair, rebuilt or Overhaul. Change the car or change to manual not preferable for now.... But now I got headache what to? hehehe :laugh::nurse:

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
Guys and sifus,

1. I owned 2nd-hand v6 2000 with stock 6a12 engine. Its give me few minor problems such as cannot start due to starter relay one time and Fuel Pump one time. one time with Check engine appear and car lost power but still can move. The problem is due to ECU rosak. change ECU, reset and OK.

2. Lately she can't reverse. It hard to reverse like your handbrake is applied. I just changed the ATF last 3 months. I decided to change the ATF but this time with filter. The magnet inside the takung full with sticky oil-waste (maybe the lendir are steelwaste from gears. After that all OK and it can reverse normally.
**recommended change ATF every 15-20k kms. change filter together.
3. Is that the sign that my gearbox going to dead? Stock F4A 232
**yes gonna kong soon.
4. I read online a lot and ask few people about it. They hardly identify the real problem. Maybe it the signal because the millage is 425,215km. Check with EON to verify the gearbox is ok or not but sadly they just do Tuning. Cost me RM90 for tuning nonsense where i normally do RM30.
**normally tuning bout rm60. so rm90 is ok.
5. How to know the prob? can we know the prob by doing diagnose & scan?
Is it Torque converter? Valve Body? Solenoid? Clutch plate? or it just tersumbat?
**mostly its the valve body & solenoid problem.
6. I am using proton ATF since i bought the car. Got prob with it? Some Proton mach suggest to use ELF Renultmatic if gearbox are problem. they said lebih tahan panas. Some recommended to use Dexron III. Some suggest Gearbox treatment NASA/STP/X1R. Hmmmm....
**i always suggest toyota atf type4. but make sure its original.
7. My car got no Oil Cooler but I plan to install one. Can install 2 meh? hahaaha But need experience mach because it can cause gearbox lost of pressure. Lot of good comment from V6ers for pasang this oil cooler.
**must install an atf cooler asap. 12 rows will do.....if possible get a fan installed infront of it.
8. Do some survey:

a. Repair gearbox (change only rosak things) rm1k
b. Rebuilt RM1900
c. Overhaul the gearbox (change all parts) RM3200
d. Recond (change solenoid) RM 2900
e. Recond rm1300 to RM2500 (depend on workshop, warranty, expertise, parts, some include labour)
f. KATC tampoi RM2800 (Recond or rebuilt same price) But I think they very pro. Canggih2x punya machine ada. selonoid test ada, torque converter repair ada, transmission dyno test before put the GB into car pun ada.
g. Oil cooler RM270 - RM500

Some said recond we don't know the condition, history and the replacement part they use. Not many workshop can operate the transmission. So the suggestion is repair, rebuilt or Overhaul. Change the car or change to manual not preferable for now.... But now I got headache what to? hehehe :laugh::nurse:
**normally a recond gbox will costs rm1.6-1.8k with 3-6 mths warranty. but problem will occur again after 1 year if unlucky la. if rm3k++ must as well convert to manual tranny. just get a atf cooler installed 1st & c how it goes.

ibnuimam

Apr 2, 2013
Kulai
**normally a recond gbox will costs rm1.6-1.8k with 3-6 mths warranty. but problem will occur again after 1 year if unlucky la. if rm3k++ must as well convert to manual tranny. just get a atf cooler installed 1st & c how it goes.
Thanks for the good advice Bro Dan. I know most of machs know how to install oil cooler, but some salah pasang cause lost pressure. I'll try to find mach that understand perdana & Atf cooler around here (kulai,JB@Kota). I found 1 transmission workshop that offer around rm300 (chopshop + labour).

why don't you try to overhaul? should able to last longer than recon isn't it? correct me if I'm wrong
Thats take into my consideration. Maybe invest few more bucks for maybe another 400,000 km or more. and of course with ATF cooler.

Any idea how long my car can go and with what speed? For now return trip for about 20km daily with speed 90-110km/h, still OK. Do you think I can go to KL (300km/600km return)????
I scare breakdown on highway with all the gears and nuts bersepah atas jalan. hahah.

ibnuimam

Apr 2, 2013
Kulai
if u looking for halfcut atf cooler, look for pajero or mercedes ones. costs bout rm150.
should be an easy installation.
That rm150 include installation or halfcut only?

What the difference Bro Dan?
P44 Autoworks offer RM270 for new 14rows Wes/WSR Sport Oil Cooler + Labour.
At mudah people sell Jasma 13rows and thai brand for about RM150.

l2s_turbo

1,000 RPM
Oct 23, 2004
Thanks for the good advice Bro Dan. I know most of machs know how to install oil cooler, but some salah pasang cause lost pressure. I'll try to find mach that understand perdana & Atf cooler around here (kulai,JB@Kota). I found 1 transmission workshop that offer around rm300 (chopshop + labour).

Thats take into my consideration. Maybe invest few more bucks for maybe another 400,000 km or more. and of course with ATF cooler.

Any idea how long my car can go and with what speed? For now return trip for about 20km daily with speed 90-110km/h, still OK. Do you think I can go to KL (300km/600km return)????
I scare breakdown on highway with all the gears and nuts bersepah atas jalan. hahah.
Hi bro, you tried asking AGB auto gear service?? He is the auto gb king here in jb.. his price is honest price.. look for Ah Wang.. he also can install gearbox cooler..

ibnuimam

Apr 2, 2013
Kulai
Hi bro, you tried asking AGB auto gear service?? He is the auto gb king here in jb.. his price is honest price.. look for Ah Wang.. he also can install gearbox cooler..
Where is the place in JB? I google and found No 1 Jalan Kempas 2/2, Tmn Perindustrian Tampoi. Look like near to Khang Auto (KATC).

Do you know the price?

l2s_turbo

1,000 RPM
Oct 23, 2004
Where is the place in JB? I google and found No 1 Jalan Kempas 2/2, Tmn Perindustrian Tampoi. Look like near to Khang Auto (KATC).

Do you know the price?
Yes it's beside one panel beating shop for vw beetle.

evo3

1,500 RPM
Jul 2, 2004
Visit site
Dear all sifu,

Need some info. My perdana v6 gb gave up last saturday. 1st symptoms is something like ball bearing sound and then got some weird sound like piak piak from the gb. And when that happen, the car fill like jerk a bit. The car still driveable except with the gb sound and lastly if i drive over 60 km/h, the rpm will shoot up to 6 or 7, which feel like the clutch slip. All this come after my wife was driving it and it won't change gear.

One mech suggest to change a recon gb while another mech suggest rebuilt the gb as he say recon gb is also sometime like lottery cos you will never know what the previous owner did. Can any sifu tell me what is the best option? but not the manual option.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
Dear all sifu,

Need some info. My perdana v6 gb gave up last saturday. 1st symptoms is something like ball bearing sound and then got some weird sound like piak piak from the gb. And when that happen, the car fill like jerk a bit. The car still driveable except with the gb sound and lastly if i drive over 60 km/h, the rpm will shoot up to 6 or 7, which feel like the clutch slip. All this come after my wife was driving it and it won't change gear.

One mech suggest to change a recon gb while another mech suggest rebuilt the gb as he say recon gb is also sometime like lottery cos you will never know what the previous owner did. Can any sifu tell me what is the best option? but not the manual option.

either replace with halfcut box....or rebuilt with proper gearbox mech.....

did the atf dried inside gearbox?

evo3

1,500 RPM
Jul 2, 2004
Visit site
I think it a block filter cos the oil did not go through but damage is done already cos my wife cannot stop half way so she drove back home and then drove to the mech. Change filter and oil, the gb kong last saturday when i'm back.

Think i better go for rebuilt/overhaul the gb then....

thanks

NeuroOne

WFH
Sep 11, 2006
Putrajaya
yep, for V6 better go rebuild the gbox.
for me, gbox also kong last week, but RVR engine, so i bought 2nd hand gbox je la..

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hyundai has not gone bankrupt, but they will be starting anew this December 29 when the company turns 40 with the all new rear-wheel-drive Hyundai Genesis.

To get straight to the nitty gritty, the new top-of-the-line Genesis will be powered by a 375 hp Tau V8 engine coupled with a six-speed automatic transmission. A base model will also be made available with a 3.3 liter V6 and a middle-of-the-road version with a 3.8 liter V6 Lambda engine. Hyundai is looking to take on European, American...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience