What To Add For SQ Setup?

NightRaider

Known Member
Hello All,
Just to let you guys know i just started in this i.c.e field last week. And so far has install this in my car:
1. Sony Xplod CDX-F5705X Head Unit
2. Sony XM-752EQX 2/1 Channel Power Amplifier
3. Kicker 6.5" EX62 Speaker

The issue is i'm still not satisfied with the sound eventhought my other friends already said it is good already. So i just want a few ideas from those who is very pro in i.c.e (those who knows a bit also can contribute..hehe :D). I'm thinking of doing 2 things now as suggested by my friends:
1. Add component set (6" speaker+tweeter) for the front to neutralize the sound in my car (kancil new model) cause the speaker i currently use is at the back board one. But donno which brand should i choose. I had a few in mind:
a. Kicker b. blaupunkt c. jbl d. sony

2. Get a sub woofer 12" or sub with 4 channel amp. That also i donno which brand to get. The one i had in mind:
a. Kicker b. blaupunkt c. jbl d. sony e. wtx

plz give advice which to get 1st as i plan step by step so either idea no.1 or no.2? cause i want to enjoy music in car but still can listen from outside...not loud one till "pecah" but good sound.

Thx in advance ;)

option no.1 1st of coz...i'm still newbie but has learnt something from this forum...hehe

u might wanna consider taking out ur kicker from the back and shift it to the front. and just get another sub and amp. that's if u are going for SQ. Staging is important. just my 2cents...and with this setup, can hear from outside liao. :lol:

and for speakers and sub, i heard that Sony is not that good compared to other options u mentioned.

;)
cheers

Originally posted by kenlimfornication@Mar 31 2005, 01:15
option no.1 1st of coz...i'm still newbie but has learnt something from this forum...hehe

u might wanna consider taking out ur kicker from the back and shift it to the front. and just get another sub and amp. that's if u are going for SQ. Staging is important. just my 2cents...and with this setup, can hear from outside liao. :lol:

and for speakers and sub, i heard that Sony is not that good compared to other options u mentioned.

;)
cheers
[snapback]855334[/snapback]​
thx for your reply bro really appreciate it..

anyway if i take out the kicker from the back and shift it to front means i just get a tweeter and sub+amp at the back? which already in my mind but the thing is no soundlah at the back except the sub hahaha... :blink:

ya i agree staging is really important thats why i ask this question. ok since sony is not voted as one of the good items to be fitted in i'll take it out of my list :lol:

Well, if u wouldn't want to spend too much, then, U can shift the Kickers up front.

As for the following move, u can either buy a subwoofer, and use the existing amp bridged to mono to power the sub(with the kicker speakers getting power from the headunit instead), or, use the existing amp to power the front speakers, and get another 2-channel higher powered amp and a single subwoofer(that would work in small sealed box considering boot space in a Kancil) combination.

BTW, if u r just getting a single subwoofer, then u'll only need a 2 channel amp, a 4 channel will deem useless as it can only be bridged down to 2 channels instead. Unless u are using 2 subwoofers, then the 4 channel bridged to 2 would still be ok.(as each channel will power each subwoofer)

thx for pointing to me about the shifting part
it made me realise something hehehe ;)

ok how about if i let the kicker stay at the back and get another component set for the front? would that change the staging of the sound and is it ok?

as for now i already mention i got a 2/1 amp which supposely for the sub but i haven't bought one yet hehe.. as i'm still thinking of getting 2 10" sub or 1 12" since my car space at the back is limited :(

wat my frens suggest is to to as follows donno is it ok or not cause i want good sound but not to be cramp inside the car with it...hahaha...they say:
component set + kicker (for inside car) PLUS 2 10" OR 1 12" sub + 2 amp (2/1 and 4 channel)

price is not a matter but is worth it in getting the component set for the front plus 2 10" sub or 1 12" sub and 4 channel amp? as now i hear the sound from the back but feel empty at the front <_<
suggestions?

It's either u shift the rear speakers to the front, or plain ditch them. Rear fill will spoil the sound stage if u are planning for a sub, unless, of coz, u have a big car or frequently fetch passengers in the back, then only rear fill will be needed.

U should supposely spend more on good front components, and get a subwoofer, i would recommend a single 12" for the subwoofer instead of 2 10" unless u don't mind having totally no boot space :lol: Look for 12" subs that can work in small sealed box(but by using them in a sealed box enclosure, u'll need more amplification to have more control over the sub)

BTW, how many pre-outs does your HU have?

If u are seriously thinking of retaining your current setup.

I would recommend shifting the rear coaxials in front(not sure about these kickers, but can their tweeters be swivelled? Some coaxials do support that, can adjust the staging a bit with this way), use the 2 channel amp to power these, and get a subwoofer, and find a matching amp for it, u'll need a more powerful one that your current SONY if u are planning on using a sealed enclosure.

Well at 1st i'm thinking to have both front and rear but now i have 2nd thoughts..hehe.. i do frequently fetch passengers at the back so how to settle this? <_<

Ok i'll look for the 12" sub planning to look it today with my ministry of finance (my fiancee loh who else hahaha). While i'm at it gonna survey some good amp as well this one is better 2/1 also or 4 channel one?

I'm not sure about the pre-outs and it is already 3.28am but let me give you the specs from internet...hehe:
fold-down, detachable face
variable color LCD
plays MP3s on disc
plays CD-Rs and CD-RWs
SSIR-EXA tuner
18 FM/12 AM presets
seek tuning
BBE MP (restores detail and warmth lost to MP3 files during compression)
Dynamic Soundstage Organizer
EQ7 (7-band equalizer and 7 preset tone curves)
XM Radio Ready
CD changer controls
rear auxiliary input (when not using a CD changer or XM tuner)
front, rear and subwoofer preamp outputs
high-pass and low-pass filter
clock
wireless remote
23.2 watts RMS/52 peak x 4 channels
CD frequency response 10-20,000 Hz
CD signal-to-noise ratio 120 dB
FM sensitivity 9 dBf

Right now i haven't decide what to do but I'm open to any ideas for as long as i'll be happy at the end of the process. If any of you guys got an idea i'll look into it and then decide what's best to do :lol:

From your advice seems you're well experience i.c.e player GRexer. Mind to share me your i.c.e specs?

Er... first off... i'm not really a very well experienced player, in fact, i got all these info since i got bitten by the ICE bug a couple of months back and were also looking for parts for upgrade, so... kinda all those advice are still clearly in my mind. My specs haven't been exactly finalised to the last bit and most parts have yet to be installed, so... i wouldn't be disclosing my specs yet, hope u don't mind ;)

I would say getting a seperate amp for the sub would be advisable as most 4 channel amps, when bridged, doesn't provide enough power for the subwoofer to have control(else it'll sound kinda muddy) over the bass.

Well... from the specs u've posted, your HU has 3 pre-outs.

Hm... If u are seriously planning on sticking back to the rear speakers, here's my suggestion, get front comps, *still* powered by the SONY amp, unless u decided to ditch it for something better :P the current Kickers in their current location, but powered by the HU's internal amp instead, that'll give u decent power to have rear fills for the rear passengers.

As for the subwoofer, u can either try the Peerless XLS, or Adire Shiva subwoofers, both work great wif sealed enclosures wif less than 1cuft. U'll need at least around 400Wrms(not 400W max like most cheaper amps are rated) for the subwoofer to have good control over it's bass movements.

We are having an ICE TT at Taman Desa, off Old Klang Road coming this Friday evening.
The venue is the DDP foodcourt next to the Shell Station and starts from 7:30 pm.
There'll be more than 20+ cars there for you to auditition.
I suggest you attend this TT to get more in-depth knowledge to make your upgrade path easier.

maintain the kicker at the back for rear fill
buy a component set...don't ever use sony speaker because it has the worse durability
buy this time u have already have a clarity sound...
add another 4 channel amps for power up the speaker.....
the previous one use it for sub
then add 1 12" sub for finishing

the thing that u listed are good enough except sony
not if not satisfied....
change the headunit with dsp...

These are the specs I found on the net for your amp:

Specifications
Rated Output:
75 Watts per channel @4 Ohms 0.04% THD
100 Watts per channel @ 2 Ohms 0.1% THD
200 Watts bridged @ 4 Ohms 0.1% THD

Maximum Output:
170 Watts per channel @ 4 Ohms
420 Watts bridged @ 4 Ohms

Speaker Impedance:
2-8 Ohms Stereo
4-8 Ohms Mono (Bridged)

Filters:
High Pass 50-200hz -12db/ Octive
Low Pass 20-200hz -12db/ Octive

Its a pretty decent amp! : :rolleyes:

Looks like you can save up on amps by just using this amp for your soon to be aquired 12' :) So use the amp for the sub and let all speakers run off the HU's internal amplification.

Now, I do think that a set of components for the fronts would do wonders for you. Decide on a budget and keep your options open on new and used items, there are a lot of brands out there, dont rush yourself. Take your time and do your research.

So list out a budget and I'm sure the bro's here would be very happy to give you suggestions.

if you install the sub and your coaxial on the rear, you may face cancellation. I am not sure you can mount the speakers on the door panel for kancil and the kick panel seem kinna small.

my opinion, move the coaxial to the front and get a mono or 2 channel. You current 2 channel can be used for the current coaxial. But then again do your alternator can supply power to 2 amps. I do not know the kancil alternator size.

wah i was out all day and got all this nice feedbacks from you guys...cheers :lol:

GRexer,
Hehe...nice story about the I.C.E bug reminds me of spiderman :P anyway i'll get a 2nd amp for the sub and let the other one do its job with the fron+rear speakers. I've browse some JBL and Blaupunkt ones but really they're a bit expensive hahaha...1.5k-1.8k <_<. Tomorrow i'm gonna look for some subs gonna ask them the brands that you've mention :D

pieces,
Thxfor the invitation, if i do have the time to come i'll do so. I don't mind to listen some of the mind blowing I.C.E players sound systems..hehe

madforce,
Just what i had in mind too. I've browse a few 6" component set as i've listed and so far blaupunkt top the price hahaha...
1. Kicker=325 2. JBL=600++ 3. Blaupunkt= 800++
What's a good 4 channel amp+ 12" sub that you can suggest? Well i'm still new to the I.C.E thingy so what do you mean by dsp HU? :blink:

Master D,
Great that you found the specs for my amp you didn't know how hard to find it in the 1st place...haha..but do you have other amps to recommend me perhaps?
I'm going to use the amp for the sub and use the HU's internal amp for the other speakers. The only thingy is finalising my R&D for comp set hehe...one quick question here..is Mohawk brand good? I know they got orange, red and blue type.
Ok once i finalise the items+prices i'll make a list.

appleyard,
I'm not sure what you mean by cancelation, can you explain? :blink: i'm still new remember...hehe.
As for mounting yeah can do it for kancil just have to be the right one. Thx for your opinion on the staging i'll keep it in mind ;)

Originally posted by pisces@Mar 31 2005, 08:41
We are having an ICE TT at Taman Desa, off Old Klang Road coming this Friday evening.
The venue is the DDP foodcourt next to the Shell Station and starts from 7:30 pm.
There'll be more than 20+ cars there for you to auditition.
I suggest you attend this TT to get more in-depth knowledge to make your upgrade path easier.
[snapback]855774[/snapback]​

where can get more info on the TT ? cant find the link...
thanks

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom