• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

MR. TOM'S

Known Member
Hi to all..esp sifu n taiko here
I really wanna learn more about tunning for 20v
basicly n details

Distribution setting, timming check and everything...etc

Now my cars performance suck at all..white smoke came out n losing my engine oil..need to check everytime start driving....so tired..but what to do..dont have enuff budget yet for overhauling my engine..will do it soon

So now my engine got only mid power....means sucks bottom and top end..
For a while what i should do??? Do i need to adjust my distributor advance or retard..
just wanna feel it my self..or isit because of my engine not healthy???

hope all of u can help me...need oso rite workshop to operate my car soon..
but for now i oni wanna remain my little power wif unhealthy engine
thanks to all
appreciate ur help:driver:

how's performance if in retard or advance distributor in stock????:adore::adore:

Last edited:
Hi to all..esp sifu n taiko here
I really wanna learn more about tunning for 20v
basicly n details

Distribution setting, timming check and everything...etc

Now my cars performance suck at all..white smoke came out n losing my engine oil..need to check everytime start driving....so tired..but what to do..dont have enuff budget yet for overhauling my engine..will do it soon

So now my engine got only mid power....means sucks bottom and top end..
For a while what i should do??? Do i need to adjust my distributor advance or retard..
just wanna feel it my self..or isit because of my engine not healthy???

hope all of u can help me...need oso rite workshop to operate my car soon..
but for now i oni wanna remain my little power wif unhealthy engine
thanks to all
appreciate ur help:driver:

how's performance if in retard or advance distributor in stock????:adore::adore:

bro.. can i know what is inside ur car? svt or bt, and any performance parts installed?

as for white smoke coming out, i think the first thing u need to do is a compression check, juz found out from the bt repair manual, u need to know wether izzit ur piston ring or the valve area that is leakin before going for overhaul..

if u found the compression is lower than standard ones, then u add some engine oil thru the spark plug hole to check if the compression is better, is it is better than piston rings give way, but if the compression is still the same then it is the valve seal or clearance problem.. juz change the top valve seal set and grind valve will do..

as for timing what i know is, if it is adjusted too advanced, then u will hear some knocking at 2-3k rpm when u step more than half throttle, power not really sure, but if u sett too retard, u will lose top power and may be some misfiring from exhaust due to ignition timing delayed, fuel consumption will be higher when timing is too retard..

hope it helps....

Try checking your distributor cables to see if there are any exposed wires. Happened on one of my cables and the spark was not arcing across one of the plugs. The spark will try to find the quickest way to ground, which is any metal part of your car. After I changed the cables, fuyooo...car feels a lot more powerful.

If your car has white smoke means it could be burning engine oil. Either through leaky valve seals or piston ring (oil ring). Assuming your oil level is dropping on a daily basis, it could be the piston rings afterall. Suspect piston ring worn out or sticky rings. Worn out valve seals shouldn't cause too much engine oil burning, usually white smoke during starting engine only.

Firstly you can try to flush your engine with engine flush. I've read on another forum that doing 2 rounds of engine flush helped to "unstick" the sticky rings. The result was no more (or reduced) engine oil consumption. Also, try using thicker oil like 15W/20W/25W mineral oil combined with "stop smoke" engine additive. Only after all this methods failed, then you need to save up for overhaul.

At this point, stop worrying about power and focus on the engine's health. Timing should be set 10 BTDC as per Toyota's spec. Lack of power could be caused by many factors including compression loss, insufficient ignition, plug cable, spark plug, fuel press, ECU and most importantly VVT. A stock 20V is basically lifeless without VVT working properly.
~Just my 2 cents

Well said bro Pcmoddingmy,
Me too having this problem for my BT,
i did exactly wat Pcmoddingmy said,
and unfortunately everything i did isn't working, and at last i did top overhaul.
u need to save budget arround RM1.5k to RM2.5K (depends on wat sickness)
now my car feels goooood.........:driver::burnout:

Top Bottom