Transplant Vr4 Rs Or Evo 3?

crystal_method

Known Member
Jun 23, 2004
PJ, KL
www.darkimages.com
hi all and calling all turbo sifus alike for their advice,

on my previous car (a proton) i transplanted an evo 3 engine and modded it slightly more than 300hp, it was quite good and i was pleased with the per4mance. now at the moment (on another car, again still a proton) running on a 1.8 GSR turbo but suddenly feel like putting a 2.0 litre 4G63 powerplant back in again. i'm familiar with the evo engines la but i've heard some VERY VERY good reviews on the VR4 RS also. i've tested a few cyclones and a friend's VR4 RS-spec and the RS was breathtakingly powerful even tho it had minimal mods!! i'm stoked!

my question 2 all sifus now is which engine should i go 4?? i'm not too familiar with the VR4 stuff so pls do educate me. and wat r the pros n cons of both engines in terms of price, per4mance, reliability, 'moddability', etc etc.... i appreciate all replies :)

btw, is there such thing as an EVO3 RS?? heard some ppl chattin' about it the other nite.

jinkl

4,000 RPM
May 22, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
ops crystal method :D met u in millenium the other day..

this is what i tink la and most people told me during my conversion.

at the begining i was driving a evo3 heart
first one had a oil pump malfunction and jammed my engine up
went and got a 2nd engine evo3 again
was running fine and same problem , oil pump pressure became too low and my bearings were eaten up , throw the block off again
lastly i went for a vr4rs block with a metal gasket just incase la :D

evo3 stock without metal gasket boosting 1bar is dam shiok and seriously dam responsive. u should know la , u was driving a e3 also before.

vr4rs block is stronger internally , the conrods and pistons are stronger
the compression is already lower. but my problem is i put in a metal gasket + vr4rs block , compression check was done , my compression is low , boost 0.9bar not shiok , boost 1.3bar onwards is flying , much much more powerfull than the 1bar evo3 feeling.

i cant really say much about the vr4rs cos im just using the block.

vr4rs and vr4 cyclone , the camshaft are diffrent , vr4rs and evo camshaft same , the intake is diffrent eci multi and cyclone
, the turbo size is diffrent vr4cyclone only td-05-14b , evo3 is td-05-16g-big , intercooler for evo is bigger than vr4 , vr4rs is bigger than vr4cyclone.

get a good halfcut for vr4 also sure fly one.
but if u gonna mod the parts slowly to evo stuff then better get a evo3 straight. vr4 users usually get the evo wiring , evo ecu , evo maf ,
td05-16g big.

crystal_method

Known Member
Jun 23, 2004
PJ, KL
www.darkimages.com
jinkl,

hehe yes, met u in mill motorsports :D

anyways thank u 4 ur reply, jus the kinda explanation i'm lookin' for n need. cheers dude.

much more comments welcomed :lol:

DJ-EVO3

Known Member
Sep 25, 2004
Sri hatamas
Visit site
aiya.. bro.. U already got bored of ur engine? ur one is fast enough..

It seems there aren't much differences ur GSR and other stock Evos in speed...

We know that it really depends on luck that how good the halfcut

condition is.. u r luckly didn face many problems with ur halfcut in technical way.

so u wanna let go ur halfcut?? hm...

As we heard Jinkl's story... there are many possiblities u know..

I've chatting with Jinkl quite some times and heard many stories and

experiences from him.. That's true as he mentioned.. u can probably

mix up that way.. use VR4 block with evo stuffs.. that could be cheaper

and even closer way to satisfy ur thirstiness..

Cheers dude..

AlucarD

1,000 RPM
Jan 15, 2004
Dude ... you have big plans man!! ;) so fast tired of you GSR RS?? :(

I'll go for the E3, leave it stock and put in a haltech.. you get 280-290Atw easy. But then again how can we just leave it alone!! Loads of aftermarket stuff for the 4G63.

Remember its FF, how many ponies you want to put upfront?? Unless you wanna drive straight only!!

sakuraguy

5,000 RPM
Nov 4, 2004
Sendai, JAPAN.
www.zerotohundred.com
EVO3 .. EVO3 ... and VR4 oso can leh .. VR4 oso used in 3000GTVR4 (G.T.O) and also Dodge Viper RT/10 .. both oso same tuning available and also swappable engine parts .. frens Putra VR4-RS using evo 3 piston kits ;)

SiGNAL

500 RPM
Nov 16, 2003
Ya Mum's House
Visit site
GTO doesn't use 4g63. i believe VR4 is just another model in mitsu. like Galant VR4. Dodge uses 4g63? :lol:

I would go for the e3. Since u got e3 already, can swap parts somemore. :P

dolly

500 RPM
Dec 24, 2003
alucard 290 oni meh, with haltech should be looking at 300atw lor weheheh

AlucarD

1,000 RPM
Jan 15, 2004
Originally posted by dolly@Apr 18 2005, 22:05
alucard 290 oni meh, with haltech should be looking at 300atw lor weheheh
Doll, stock standard E3, everything bone stock even the BOV? Juat Masuk ECU onli. Ask Toby... ;)

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

This is the best so far, as we know majority drivers in Malaysia, kinda bad in parking, as some
may have accidentally or inconsiderately kissed your bumper and left the scene. Leaving you
standing still looking at the damages left by an Idiot.

So, this actually catch my attention, not sure if it can be turn down when driving and only
put it up while our car is parked?

Don't think it can withstand strong accident impact but parking speed, should be good enough.

Cheers :beer...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience