Titan Suspensions Review

joomba

Known Member
Mar 30, 2004
wah.. stanley.. ur explaination makes me wanna get titans lah.. ehehhe..

eh.. i saw in titan's website, the price for kembara is 2100 and cefiro is 3000.. correct ah?

can tune my kembara for street use? wanna make it into a pocket rocket.. lower a bit.. stiffer dampers.. no off-road..

juz an idea.. if it works out, i'll put titans! ;)

belilah barangan malaysia.. rite? ;)

midship

2,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Jul 22, 2004
Across the pond
www.nismo.com.my
I had a friend who used hwl on his evo for track and eneded up bending the cartridge at the end of the session... any possibility of his happening to your titans?

Torment

500 RPM
Nov 16, 2003
Originally posted by ninja_iga+Jul 22 2004, 02:39 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ninja_iga @ Jul 22 2004, 02:39 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Torment@Jul 22 2004, 02:05 PM

yes bring it back to titan for revalve, but at what cost? no offense stanley but titan cost as much as some branded absorbers which have damping adjustment already. allowing the owner to adjust damping make very much economic sense, allowing the owner to vary the "hardness" of his/her setup depending on purpose by just having one set of absorbers. e.g. a softer setting for street and a few clicks of the knob and voila! bone jarring ride for track day! :lol:

reliability wise, IMHO i think shouldn't be affected much as alot of branded jap suspensions are fully capable of standing up to the rigours and abuse of racing and still provide a multitude of damping adjustment. if TEIN can do it, i see no reason why TiTaN cannot.
hi Torment

for the first few times, it's free. After satisfactory setting is achieved, subsequent settings are RM300 each time for ALL 4.

actually,
having remote damping adjustablity is not as versatile as it sounds. It's merely a 'tap' like your water tap. Buka besar, oil flows more, hence softer. Tutup, no oil flow, hence hard(er)

but all of these is taking place in a pretty small hole, about 1mm in diameter!!

if you allow me to explain further,

soft/hard is help/assist compensate for what the valves can't achieve/ not time to achieve.
It's more of a convinience than a proper solution in the long run.
IF the damping is totally off, then twisting the knob to adjust wont do shit, as it's adjustment scopes are very limited range only.

so a better absorber design would be : valving adjustable, then fine-tuned by soft/hard.

but then comes practical issues: price. price for a Tein soft/hard cannot be compared to a TiTAN. WHY??

because the Teins used for comparision are :
twin tubes (cheaper to manufature)
not inverted
lower end product (although works good)
MASS produced by the hundreds or thousands for the general public.

you guys should put some brand's range to compare properly, such as RG's Motorsport range to compare with TiTANs

theirs are similar spec that's why i say pls pls use this as a comparision

RG's:
inverted MONOTUBE (very expensive to manufacture because of high precision)

top end model for brand
best possible seals used
usually custom-tune and built for you
low volume production (expensive costs!)

and these are not even soft/hard adjustables, and these are designed by an ex-Chief engineer for Bilsteins! (Rudy Grebe)

a Tein range with similar specs would cost maybe RM15k-17k (Putra)

Now That's a FAIR comparision.

Reliablity is also a big issue, if you don't know that. Because we 'twist' the knob every so often, the seals actually get microscopic scratches and this is one of main causes to leaks.
Don't touch it, and it's works fine for it's projected working lifespan.

PS. for TiTANs to have this 'adjustablity' built-in, it's cost maybe RM800-1000 per set of 4. And how many times do you really need to adjust the damping? :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]
thanks for the detailed explanation stanley. well i dunno wether it's a good habit or not, but i play around alot with the dampings on my suspensions. it let's me know my car better plus i get to experience with alot of different setups. for example i learn to handle understeer/oversteer by setting my sus to induce that. IMHO, i think height adjustables are the most troublesome as any little bit of change will need to do alignment again. waste of money and time not to mentioned aditional complexity and more parts = more weight, why make height adjustables but not damping? me feels it's over hype that's why. aside from ground clearance issues or off-road, there is no other major benefit of puting the car high right? so you just go as low as the suspension geometry allow or you like and that's it right?

Torment

500 RPM
Nov 16, 2003
buzz...buzzz....paging stanley..paging stanley....newbie looking for sifu here... :lol:

escaflowne

1,000 RPM
May 4, 2004
Visit site
yeah stanley...i am wondering. tom's car didn't fit with the coil over instead of that bigger thing with seperate spring absorber(i dunno how to call that one)...wat is the diff?? between coil over and tom's one.

all car can fit coil over front and rear???

ninja_iga

3,000 RPM
Dec 1, 2003
Visit site
Originally posted by midship@Jul 26 2004, 03:10 PM
I had a friend who used hwl on his evo for track and eneded up bending the cartridge at the end of the session... any possibility of his happening to your titans?
not a chance, unless an bang-up/accident..

ninja_iga

3,000 RPM
Dec 1, 2003
Visit site
[qoute]IMHO, i think height adjustables are the most troublesome as any little bit of change will need to do alignment again. waste of money and time not to mentioned aditional complexity and more parts = more weight, why make height adjustables but not damping? me feels it's over hype that's why. aside from ground clearance issues or off-road, there is no other major benefit of puting the car high right? so you just go as low as the suspension geometry allow or you like and that's it right?[/qoute]

haha
you've just made many valid points for my argument/explaination :lol:
it's not that easy to make the damping adjustable. A lot more parts, intricate and must be fool-proof, even Koni can't do that.
And we believe if the damping's off, the damping bloody off, no amount of know twisting will set it right.
Thus we tune the damping FOR you.
Height? it's free for our loyal customers! ;)

Height adjustments has its many benefits AND flexiblity..
springs do sag after a while, and it ALWAYS sag slightly different each corner.
So with this flexiblity, you just turn the seat collar up/ down to set the car back to neutral/balanced.
Height or rather, corner weights, are equally as important as damping.
And maybe sometimes you've just changed the rims and you need about 6-10mm clearance, so up the springs go, just like that, nothing to worry ;)

with fixed spring seats, so many bitch about how to raise/lower the car la, and almost ALWAYS screw-up.. :(
sorry, but that's the sad sad truth..

So, with this flexiblity, you can rest in peace that your shocks can be adjusted to be as corner weight balanced as possible, and damping rates are taken care by us ;)

cheers!

ninja_iga

3,000 RPM
Dec 1, 2003
Visit site
Originally posted by escaflowne@Jul 30 2004, 03:48 AM
yeah stanley...i am wondering. tom's car didn't fit with the coil over instead of that bigger thing with seperate spring absorber(i dunno how to call that one)...wat is the diff?? between coil over and tom's one.

all car can fit coil over front and rear???
Tom's E30 can't fit height-adjustable coilvers for one reason:
it can't fit, to his dismay..

the rims are way way too close for comfort, and no spring nor height ajustable collar can fit..

E30 M3's possible to have it coilovers, why? longer wishbones, wider fenders, and generally more space for the coilovers.

The rears are telescopic, because of packaging problems as well.

acbc

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
KD

with fixed spring seats, so many bitch about how to raise/lower the car la, and almost ALWAYS screw-up..
sorry, but that's the sad sad truth..
Tell me about it, the last bugger who did my absobers put engine gasket to raise the height of the car (driver side always sag) when using GABs! :P

fabianyee

Known Member
Jan 9, 2004
Visit site
Originally posted by ninja_iga@Aug 3 2004, 07:28 PM

E30 M3's possible to have it coilovers, why? longer wishbones, wider fenders, and generally more space for the coilovers.

u sure about this??? you done Titan on E30M3 before?

acidburn1204

Known Member
Aug 23, 2004
My ride's an MR2 turbo and im using TEIN suspension type HA. It started leaking recently and i was planning to get a new set of TEIN suspensions...... NOT UNTIL I HEARD ABOUT TiTaN.. haha thumbs up!

acidburn1204

Known Member
Aug 23, 2004
Yo stanley, look man i've bn thinkin of gettin a set of Titan suspensions for my ride. Like i said previously i'm using TEIN type HA and its leaking. I got sum info that i can get it repaired locally but rumor has it that the susp. settings wont feel the same as it was originally. I've read ur stuff on Titans. With my budget, I can either get a new set of Titans or used Teins. Of course, Titans sounds more tempting with its 2year guarantee but then again theres bn 'rumors' that locally made susp. just dont perform too well. But then again who'd understand Malaysian roads better then local manufacturers? The roads here differ a whole lot to roads in America, Europe and Japan in terms of how bumpy it is. That could probably be a primary cause to early leaks in the susp. as Teins are usually hard. Your a representative for Titans. Any insights as to how Titans susp. are better than Tein susp. in this area?

ninja_iga

3,000 RPM
Dec 1, 2003
Visit site
hi acidburn,

simple.
for the same price you pay, you get the lower end/range model.
Tein HA is still a twin tube!

TiTANs are not just monotube, it's INVERTED monotube!
great and THE best setup when used in a MacPherson setup ;) It is tougher, stronger, more robust and being a monotube, can take higher temperatures.

i won't say it's the best in the world, but it proves itself well in M'sia :)
and we provide excellent after-sales service and back-up in spares too.

AND we 100% hand-make each and every set, thus guaranteeing each and every set's high level of quality control.

AND we do back our 2 year warranty with pride :) and i think we're one of the very few in M'sia to provide spares just in case anything goes wrong..
:)

cheers!
Stanley

acidburn1204

Known Member
Aug 23, 2004
Thanx for the info.. Just had my car sent to the workshop to get TiTans installed. Requested that it remain at its current height but alot softer than Teins HA. Hope I get wat i expect <_< Any how, u can bet i'll get back to u on the feedback. Thanx again Stan

acidburn1204

Known Member
Aug 23, 2004
Yo Stan, waddup?
Just got my ride back today.I just went on my usual cruise earlier tonite and I'm quite impressed. Heard that my car's the first MR2 to ever have Titans installed. Upon request, the ride's definitely softer and easier on the bumps, and feels almost indifferent to Teins. A friend of mine who had previously sat in my car when i was using Teins HA, didnt even have the slightest hint that i had changed my suspensions to Titans! Thats the best compliment i have of ur product as for now. Although i havent tested them on corners yet, I'm sure the results will meet my expectations. Will provide more feedback tomorrow..

ninja_iga

3,000 RPM
Dec 1, 2003
Visit site
acidburn,

i test-drove it for (since it's the first ever car and i'm their official test-driver)
some distance around town and around my familiar areas to get my feel and comments about the settings.

i'll test it again after about 2 weeks, when the set's settled and worn-in :)
methinks the front's are abit tight, hence the extra bounce, although it's supple..

oh, your right front bushes sounds and feels old, do change! Change to PU, heheehehe..

PS. your car abit naughty eh? :P

acidburn1204

Known Member
Aug 23, 2004
Test drove it!!?? :blink: U betta handle my baby with care dude, official test driver or not! haha Will get bk to u abt that 2wks thing.. wasnt properly informed. Fronts abit tight? I'm actually content with its current settings but wouldnt mind some insights. U see, I drive from PJ to Seremban 2-3 times on a weekly basis. With emphasis on long-term reliability, wat would ur opinion be?

Yea the front bushes dont feel or sound too good at all but thought it was the front left that was kinda out. Since u noticed, cant u get it replaced for free? ;) I'll be there the next time i send my ride.

Nice knowin n talkin to ya man.

ninja_iga

3,000 RPM
Dec 1, 2003
Visit site
ahahaha

wow i thought i've blew it with you when you replied like that :blink:

let it wear in and see what happens, whether you need it harder ka softer.

reliablity? same one la :P but best to set it to be compliant.. :)

bushings:
sounds and feel like right side..
hey! terrible la you :P haha time for PU bushes!! hehe

hope to see you soon!