TEAM HP4G (Honda Prelude 4th Generation

:angry_smile: Happened again this morning.

After a lot of looking here and there, finally found the problem to be the ignition switch. It tends to turn off the engine by the slightest movement of the key.

Opened it up, cleaned and installed back and wah lah! Hopefully it won't happen again but I'm still worried about the burnt smell i smelt yesterday. Although I did not smelt it today, I'm just wondering if anything was fried.:emoticon_U:

blackprelude said:
Need help guys,

Yesterday while driving at around 80km/h, suddenly i saw the RPM, SPEEDO and Clock all went dead. Temp & Fuel Gauge still on. Car still running. Then after bout 3 secs, all gauges went back to normal. Then after 5 secs, same thing happen again and by that time the engine died. I was travelling at about 80km/h and suddenly had to stop by the road side. Turn the ignition off and slightly smelt something burning. Dunno from where.

Went out, pop the hood but found nothing wrong. All fuses in engine and under dash are okay. So I tried starting the car again. This time it starts but RPM and speedo meter are still dead. It went back on after about 10secs.

Drove the car home and check everything again but found nothing wrong. So far, it has not happened again but I'm worried it will do so again in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Anyone experience this?

my friend SV4 happened b4 ...cos of the speed sensor which attach on gear box short circuit ...when he drive ..suddenly got smoke come out from engine bay ...then pop up the hood n c ..the sensor there burnt...then take out the fuse of the meter ...n when put the fuse back ..smoke come out again ....all meter totally no0t function at all.........b4 it happend same with u ..the RPM , speedo meter...sometime function ..sometime not ...n will suddenly mati engine also ...

so now ..hv cut out the speed sensor wire ....just using RPM, water temp, n fuel level...clock ...speedo meter totally can not function.

so u got to bcarefull ^_^

Thank you Hisha

Your feedback is very helpfull. By solving the ignition switch problem does not guarantee solving this problem just because it has not repeated itself.

Will look into the speed sensor when i reach home.

blackprelude said:
Thank you Hisha

Your feedback is very helpfull. By solving the ignition switch problem does not guarantee solving this problem just because it has not repeated itself.

Will look into the speed sensor when i reach home.

bro, where are you now? working where? I just got my lude back from workshop. Problem still exist?

blackprelude said:
:angry_smile: Happened again this morning.

After a lot of looking here and there, finally found the problem to be the ignition switch. It tends to turn off the engine by the slightest movement of the key.

Opened it up, cleaned and installed back and wah lah! Hopefully it won't happen again but I'm still worried about the burnt smell i smelt yesterday. Although I did not smelt it today, I'm just wondering if anything was fried.:emoticon_U:

i had similar problem, although my engine didnt die. only the RPM not working... i get the acc shop guys to service the ignition switch so far so good. but i'm still confused why there were burnt smell :confused_smile:

saiyuke said:
bro, where are you now? working where? I just got my lude back from workshop. Problem still exist?

Me at PML. I'm not sure if I've solved the problem entirely but so far, all meters are working fine. No more flickering. Had to DIY the ignition switch at the office. Malu lah. Kotor baju opis

blackprelude said:
Me at PML. I'm not sure if I've solved the problem entirely but so far, all meters are working fine. No more flickering. Had to DIY the ignition switch at the office. Malu lah. Kotor baju opis

hehehehe... ic i c MPL izzit? heehehheeh j/k. Near where? Later got time i go find you and see.

Last edited:
hey_guy said:
i had similar problem, although my engine didnt die. only the RPM not working... i get the acc shop guys to service the ignition switch so far so good. but i'm still confused why there were burnt smell :confused_smile:

The burnt smell only occured for a short period. I tried sniffing everywhere under the dash and in the engine compartment but could not sniff it out.

Upon dismantling the ignition switch, i did find what looks like a burnt mark on the contact surface. So i'm suspecting its from there but cannot confirm.

after replying u this morning, i myself faced a strange problem. i filled up full tank of fuel this morning and when i started my car at lunch time the fuel indicator shows only 1 bar. it slowly increased 1 bar at a time until after 10 mins later it showed back to full bars.

any idea???

JuizeeeBrain said:
after replying u this morning, i myself faced a strange problem. i filled up full tank of fuel this morning and when i started my car at lunch time the fuel indicator shows only 1 bar. it slowly increased 1 bar at a time until after 10 mins later it showed back to full bars.

any idea???

jzb, i also have some problem and my mech say is a fuel tank level sensor got sot already and cause some problem to the sensor current.

Mine is below 1/4 indication, it will slowly reduce until no fuel indication. hehehe

JuizeeeBrain said:

any idea???

jzb, this happen when u did not set your ignition off when u pump petrol. meaning the petrol indicator still on when u pump petrol. when this happen the bar will slowly rise to the correct level. try off and on back it should be back to full bar. i dun think there's any problem lar...

aih now all seems got sensors problem..

guys. just and advised. change all sensors.. especially sensors on engine. its not expensive. can get 2nd,brand new,recon,etc etc etc

i change all inside my car. i dunno which sensor i didnt replace.. heeheh

JZB = u install RSM .. u fix the speed cut limiter? .. got anything not? like check engine light when open vtec or etc2?

AcuraV said:
u r right, engine wear and tear cause the result, otherwise some of our lude bhp are big different.

another thing, do you know how much RS will charge to retune unichip?

i saw frm zth the calculation is bhp=torque x rpm / 5252 ....i am not sure whether the calculation is correct or its base on whp after the power lost to wheel or on crank power...anyone have more specified idea on this calculation?

anyone have idea how heavy our lude, i mean the exact weight? what i know is 14xx kg, some info show that is 15xxkg. can anyone correct me?

RS Impressive charge rm250 for dyno n tune (i think for 1st time come) then later 2nd time or how many times u want to come it will be cheaper!

ok i've been to rs impressive. showed him the dyno charts and asked him what he could do for me... he told me that the stock bhp for the car is round 160 ( but i think that's the non v-tec version) and anyway i've confirmed with my other mechanic who said that the dyno done was for WHP. sooo... 134 doing the math would bring it up to about 160hp at the engine considering the 20% loss of power. seeing how a v-tec h22a should crank about 190hp at the engine. i'm still lossing about 30 hp somewhere. maybe the wear and tear of the car? perhaps....

RS wanted me to redyno the car which they quoted to be around rm300+. didn't do it in the end because they had a few cars lined up and they will be preparing for the xtreme nights event tomorrow and won't be free tomorrow at all.

so bottom line is... i'm screwed. but then again... i was thinking about fitting an open pod filter and changing the exhaust system so i will have to eventually dyno my car again. i'll probably do it with rs that time.

jcyex said:
ok i've been to rs impressive. showed him the dyno charts and asked him what he could do for me... he told me that the stock bhp for the car is round 160 ( but i think that's the non v-tec version) and anyway i've confirmed with my other mechanic who said that the dyno done was for WHP. sooo... 134 doing the math would bring it up to about 160hp at the engine considering the 20% loss of power. seeing how a v-tec h22a should crank about 190hp at the engine. i'm still lossing about 30 hp somewhere. maybe the wear and tear of the car? perhaps....

RS wanted me to redyno the car which they quoted to be around rm300+. didn't do it in the end because they had a few cars lined up and they will be preparing for the xtreme nights event tomorrow and won't be free tomorrow at all.

so bottom line is... i'm screwed. but then again... i was thinking about fitting an open pod filter and changing the exhaust system so i will have to eventually dyno my car again. i'll probably do it with rs that time.

bro, dont rush, better fit an open pod filter and exhaust system first then only dyno,.. more worth!

JuizeeeBrain said:
tiu lor, how to solve it ah? replace sensor ah?

hehe i think so, but i dont care about it coz sometimes it happen only. Not so critical.. so i didn't do it. Now my fuel pump got some problem and lose fuel pressure overnite more then 3 days but if run everyday, will be no problem. So might change it later.. hehehe

mrbear said:
JZB = u install RSM .. u fix the speed cut limiter? .. got anything not? like check engine light when open vtec or etc2?
e/things was fine. my new ecu chip oredi got speed limiter removed, so i didnt use rsm to do it. i juz took it out after came back from pasar malam. damn, some wires were touching each others causing some odour smell. the whole car suddenly stopped running and that really freaked me out.

after pulling out the entire wires i can start my engine back but dunno whether got caused any damage to my ecu and engine or not.

JuizeeeBrain said:
e/things was fine. my new ecu chip oredi got speed limiter removed, so i didnt use rsm to do it. i juz took it out after came back from pasar malam. damn, some wires were touching each others causing some odour smell. the whole car suddenly stopped running and that really freaked me out.

after pulling out the entire wires i can start my engine back but dunno whether got caused any damage to my ecu and engine or not.

* hmm .. ok!

1st time when i fix rsm .. i think few months back (more than 6months) when i tarikk .. then check light on says code VSS (vehicle speed sensors) so i remove. untill today i fix back the whole thing. (do some wirings). seems to be fine. no problem. hurmm..

* its better u use black tape to cover up all those wires n etc2.. its very dangerous if those wires touching each others.. or touch the car body. could make a spark n short circuit.

* i reopen. retape everything .. (rsm n vafc n etc2 wires)

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom