Scratch Line on Tint

OKLY

Known Member
Hello fellow car enthusiasts,

I would like to know if a car tint would eventually be scratched over time when winding the windows? Reason is because I did my tinting about 3 months back and now there's a very visible long scratch line from the top of the window until the bottom at the driver side. So I inspected the passenger side and found some minor hairline scratch which is not so obvious but I think this is due to the fact that the passenger side's window will not be winded up/down so often compared to the driver's side.

I actually noticed the scratch about a month and a half back but at that time it wasn't so obvious so I could live with it but today when I look at it, it was pretty obvious so I'm sure the scratch has gotten worse. Even other parts of the driver side window is getting hairline scratches.

Usually what would be the cause of this? Will I be able to claim from the tinting shop?

go to the tint shop and get them to check and listen to their explanation, usually it wont scratch

What are some excuses that I can expect from the tint shop? As I know, shops will usually try to avoid claims unless it's pretty obvious it's a faulty product. Is there any chance it could even be a car defect inside the door panels?

Yes, it is possible. If there is something wrong, get that done first before you tint again.

its not normal bro for it to scratch..

it could be a defect on the car panel..or the window..

just go back to the tint shop, and show them the scratch and get them to check.

Do you have those security plates installed in your doors? (To prevent lock picking) If yes then that's the culprit. It's a pretty easy DIY to resolve that problem. Tape up the whole metal plate before reinstalling. That's it.

if those "anti theft plates" they installed inside yr door panel....it will eventually jammed yr power window, central locking and sometimes cause rust .....so best is to remove it and use a conventional steering lock/brake lock or gear lock....just as a deterrent.

my friend's wira now all 4 doors rusty...cos the run channel rubber divert the water thru the plates to release out underneath the door...over the years....caused rust.

if those "anti theft plates" they installed inside yr door panel....it will eventually jammed yr power window, central locking and sometimes cause rust .....so best is to remove it and use a conventional steering lock/brake lock or gear lock....just as a deterrent.

my friend's wira now all 4 doors rusty...cos the run channel rubber divert the water thru the plates to release out underneath the door...over the years....caused rust.

Really? Damn. I better go check those rubber channels. I don't care about the rust, I'm more concerned about my precious speakers!

Went back to them this afternoon and after checking, they suspect it could be the rubber (the window will touch it as it winds down) that caused the scratch. Either the rubber had some parts which are quite sharp or probably some sand was on the rubber from what they suspect.

So they replaced the tint for me but I had to pay them labour charge.

Oh by the way, we are always told not to wind down the window for at least 48 hours when the new tint is applied. So just now I winded down my windows by accident. Winding down once won't hurt right?

Actually what's the real purpose for advising people not to wind down for at least 48 hours?

it's like having sands on your micro fibre cloth and you go and wipe the car, end result having scratches.

as for the 48 hours, the glue needs a bit of time to set, if you're lucky the tint position will stay, if not, then over time you will notice bubbling, or wave or some other patterns

it's like having sands on your micro fibre cloth and you go and wipe the car, end result having scratches.

as for the 48 hours, the glue needs a bit of time to set, if you're lucky the tint position will stay, if not, then over time you will notice bubbling, or wave or some other patterns

Then I better let it dry as soon as possible.

Leaving it under the hot sun like our current weather now is one of the faster option

If it doesn't get enough sun/heat then it'll take more than 48 hours to dry right?

i think within 48 hours is safe even if it doesnt go out.. i did my tint during raining season..and parked my car in the shade all the time... after 2 days started to wind down...no issues..

Yesterday after just 4 hours of re-tinting, I accidentally wind down my window. Then quickly wind it back up.

Lol... anything happened? Didn't the tint guys put stickers at the window switch?

Top Bottom