Rust spot on roof

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

wfhan

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
selangor
Recently I notice that there's a rust spot on my SEG's roof.
does anyone here got this prob and pls kindly share what u do ?

1. repair rust spot & repaint ?

2. act blind and ignore it by putting a masking tape (wait until it got worse)?

3. replace the whole roof ?

4.. ???

if nay of u faced the same prob and solve it.. pls share.. I donno which soluton shall i choose...

Last edited:

wfhan

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
selangor
hu~hu~ captain_fast, we are in the same boat...

... i once asked a paintshop sifu, he said rust spot on roof is quite hard to cure and
depending on your luck. he said normally he will chip off the rust part and patch with fibre/putty
and ended with the necessary paintjob to make it loook good outside, but he said the rust spot is 'what we can see',
they might be water sipped through tiny passageway into other areas of the roof, which at the moment have not shown signs of rust..and those, he said, are the toughest to cure.
and also he said, some car that he repaired (especailly national car) came back to him again with the rust spot re-appear after 6 months!.. while jap car better a bit.. some can tahan another 3~4 yrr or longer...

after hearing that, i was a bit undecisive if to repair ot to replace....

nappx

2,000 RPM
Sep 13, 2005
kLaNG-kEy_tEE
mine also happen years ago...just wait...more pimple and after that just bring to paint shop to paint whole car...he he he...

how to do it,..at rust area..just instruct the shop to do the best..he he he...mine they remove rust area and weld and paint..he he he

3,000 RPM
Jun 28, 2006
bro wfhan ............sunroof idea coming in...........:listen:

NA_Lover

Known Member
Jul 19, 2008
I'm experiencing the same problem... Sigh..
(This is blasphemous la.. but it's happening on my Nissan)

Sometimes you wonder with technology so advanced why can't they just weld over the rust spot with some rust-proof alloy...

wfhan

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
selangor
mine also happen years ago...just wait...more pimple and after that just bring to paint shop to paint whole car...he he he...

how to do it,..at rust area..just instruct the shop to do the best..he he he...mine they remove rust area and weld and paint..he he he
napi, yours just exactly happened how many yrs ago ? and up til now the condition still satisfied ?

bro wfhan ............sunroof idea coming in...........:listen:
yup, thought about it b4. u can get one ? but i kinda dislike the idea of hv to cut the roof
and weld on the new roof, won't that damage the rigidity of the chassis ? and also sunroof
installation for non-sunroof car need to go for JPJ endorsement.... troublesome steps

nappx

2,000 RPM
Sep 13, 2005
kLaNG-kEy_tEE
3 years back.. than i just ignored for 2 years..hope more pimple come out...but not many...only in the same row...than last year CNY (2008) masuk bengkel for repair & painting...

Captain Fast

Known Member
Apr 9, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
wfhan, guess we're in the same boat man...my paint on the roof is also not so good dy...some more i ask one body work sifu, he say have to chop of the roof and put a new one...think need to go back for some body work and respray my car...any good colour suggestion anyone?

EDRA

500 RPM
Nov 15, 2006
mine also like u all. still thinking what to do. i heard some ppl did welding with alumunium or copper to avoid rust again. what do u think?

wfhan

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
selangor
just now during the TT, talked to yloon, apparently, he did some DIY on this b4,
we'll try to get him here to suggest DIY steps.. o......paging for yloon!

3,000 RPM
Jun 28, 2006
hohoho....waiting for leader to voice out opinion....:listen:

AE101-Wong

4,000 RPM
Jul 26, 2006
Kuala Lumpur
i'm facing the problem also..
fixed the spot a year ago, but now came out again...
feel lazy to repair it again...
now planned to change the sunroof 1...hehe!!

faeizal

500 RPM
Apr 21, 2004
Visit site
facing the same problem...

did ask a paintshop about his... he told me they can fix it... but for sure the rust will come back... he suggested to change the whole lot (roof)...

mine teruk ler... 2 parallel line across the rooftop... each line got like 4-5 spots... haih...

wfhan

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
selangor
faeizal,
i did ask same question to a paintshop sifu, he said no gerenty as they won't know how 'deep'
it 'infected' the internal part, some of his client's car rusting back after 3 months, while some other last longer... so, did u chg the roof ? i was thinking the same, chg roof, but chg roof also no gerenty no rust....

faeizal

500 RPM
Apr 21, 2004
Visit site
wfhan...

now my spots bleeding air karat already ler... was trying to source-up the ae101 4 doors sunroof
some time back... but they don't come by very often ler...

at first i thought only models from the year 95 have this kind of problem... another yr 95 owner also had this problem... but i don't think thats the case after reading this thread...

haven't change the roof yet... i wonder how much is the price for a stock roof?
again like u said... change roof also no gerenty...

howard?!

Known Member
Sep 14, 2007
bro wfhan,my fren also did done some diy b4 on his car rust roof,wat he did was send his car for the paint shop to clear out the rusted spot,repatch with fibre then after the whole thing done he bought a can of anti rust and spray the roof,it's been 3-4 years oredi after he did repaint and his car roof still look fine to me,no more pimples coming out...

A Post Every 5 Mins

anyone can tell me how to adjust the air fuel ratio of 4G15 carb?my car geting only 250km for Rm 50 Fuel :'( too bad fuel consumtion...pls giv me a guide on it thnx ya
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience