Recomended Gearbox 4 VR4

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

allen_AR60

500 RPM
hie guyz i've the problem of engaging 2nd gear,5th gear n reverse gear,thought of changing only the snycromesh n gear oil.then heard alot of opinions this n that headache like shit. so now i'm planning to change the whole gearbox since the price is that not much different.so guyz what's the best gearbox to replace?1.8 4wd gsr,evo 123, 2.0 diesel proton or whatelse?now my choice is the 1.8 4wd gsr on my VR4.So guyz hope u share ur opinions n exprience with me.ChEeRSS! :rolleyes:

well are you sure its your syncromech , and not your clutch clearance / flywheel problem ?. you can check for the clutch troubleshooting , a wrongly clutch installation , will make gears hard to engage .

i use to have that problem , i have the same thought like confrim its the syncromesh , but then later on i did all the troubleshooting , it wasn't the gearbox / syncromesh , it was the clutch clearance .

syncromesh doesn't mean its hard to engage / cannot engage , normally to know if the syncromesh has problems , it only happens in a certain gears & that specific gear will keep poping into neutral when u had engage it .

Here are some Troubleshooting Guide from Proton . But it works for all car's too cause its all related .

Clutch Troubleshooting 1

Clutch Troubleshooting 2

vestax, mine also having similar problems to engage gear like allen, most probably it is the clutch acc to your troubleshooting guide.

Btw, I think I know the spare part shop, it's very close to the state police station right? What do I tell them when I look for the daikin clutch, just say I want a set of daikin clutch?

well yeah the spare part i always go its right opposite the police station , there is 2 spare part shop side by side , and i always go to the first one .

anyway about the clutch , its better to bring a sample of the clutch , so that the can get the coding number for the clutch . if you need a sample , you can borrow mine . for the clutch disk alone its about RM 150 + , as for the whole set clutch disk , bearing & pressure plate , the spare part shop told me won't be more the RM 450 - daikin .

thankz alot bro vestax for the info.after go through the clutch troubleshooting,i still can't confirm which is the causes.it might be one of it.that's y i thought changing the whole gearbox n it'll solve the problem,but how should i check n confirm what's that cause that making me hard to shift at 2nd n 5th gear?should i adjust the the clutch clearence first,change a new set of clutch or the syncomesh?i scare i'll waste alot of money by trying one by one.hope u can help me in this.thankz alot....cheeRsSS!!! :rolleyes:

yo bro ,
i`ve been having clutch problems since i converted my engine 4G63 , and that was a year ago , i had shifting problem's just like you , i assume it was the gearbox , but then i had read up on troubleshooting hard to shift , i did some research , all the answers i found was , clutch clearance is not right , clutch installation without proper tools and alot of the answer i get is related to clutch .

so from my experience , before wasting alot of money , do touch up those simple simple stuff first , like your upper clutch cylinder pump which will cost about RM 30 , and then lower pump will be about RM 16 , then bleed the lines , and make sure the clutch adjustment at the clutch pedal & below the gearbox is been adjusted correctly .

here are some pictures what i did recently , when i did my clutch replacement , i change everything related with the clutch & gearbox . so that i wouldn't have headache in future .

zth600.jpg

1. Gearbox mounting
2. Driveshaft cover
3. Driveshaft oilseals
4. Upper & lower hydrulic piston pump
5. Exedy standard 4G63 clutch cover & clutch disk

zth6004.jpg

my upper & lower hydrulic piston pump , which is in a bad condition , by looking at it , its been scrape unevenly , which makes the clutch lose pressure .

zthclutch2.jpg

my clutch was uneven , so its not gripping fully and that relates in hard shifting gears . i`ve been using the clutch for 1 year and abuse it quite frequent , surprise it still can be used for maybe 20,000km more .

zthclutch3.jpg

lower hydrulic pump , badly damage , replacement kit is RM 16 for the lower ones .

picture below , shows the clutch fork which you can adjust it by taking it out and twisting to your clearance liking .

if all this does not work , then you are just loosing like RM 100 bucks only , rather then changing the gearbox in the end your problem is still not solved , u`ll be wasting like 800 bucks just on the gearbox and 100 ++ for the workmanship .

so good luck man , all this info is based on my experience . i`ve solved my problems by doing all that , without changing the gearbox . :lol:

vestax sifu! :blink: :blink: :blink:

let me bow down on u! :P

RESPECT RESPECT! :D

u keep posting stuff like that those workshops going to close shop lar..ahahaha

wow..good info ther..i might be checking my clutch clearance too..cus as for me my 2nd and 3rd gear difficult to engage..especially engine is still cold..got those grrr sound wen shifting..sometimes got sumtimes dun have..so all the while i thought it was my syncromesh..so i think ill do it the cheap ways to overcome this prob first man..anyway now im still using standard clutch..wht if i change to those aftermarket clutch, do i still face this probs again ? or i still need to re-adjust my clutch set clearance? doubt man

i have the same problem of engaging and disengaging 5th gear, sometimes the reverse gear. then, another problem is the gearbox shakes once i release the clutch pedal (after engage or disengaging gears).

after reading this post, i think i know what to do already. ...
anyway, someone told me that it's a normal issue (about the gb shaking after releasing clutch pedal) for cars transplanted with vr4 or mirage. is it true? cuz my car is satria with vr4.

shakes ? or jerking ?. anyway if it shakes then its not a good sign , might be your mounting aready koyak , so it shakes . well if really its due to mounting ,then better go change , cause in long term your driveshaft might fail on you .

if u looking for daily town driving and not out station drive get the gsr gearbox
if u have a higher horsepower engine go for evo1 or 2 which got more top speed on the trans with lower ratios compared to the gsr then if u r looking for ultimate rough driving and wacking and rally and dirty and hard tahan lazak use the stock vr4 trans.

all the gear box are very good for 400bhps.. tested and proven.

have fun..happy motoring

joshua
millennium motorsports asia

as vestax sifu says yes..the clutch system is most esential in this game..

get yourself a good set of clutchs if u go for racing make sure u get those covers as well and make sure change new bearings...

sumone din answer my quest yet..
like wht i said im having probs engaging gears ..so i assume its my clutch clearance like wht its stated up ther..so if i change my whle clutch set as in pads and cover , do i still need to do sumthin wif the clearance thingy or jus install a new clutch set den probs will solved automatically..
pls help..PIMP MY RIDE!!!

hm... jerking and shaking.. i think my gb shaking. once i release the clutch pedal, the gb just shakes 1 time. that's all..

can feel it the most especially when it's in free gear, and by just pressing and releasing the clutch pedal.

guess the mounting most probably failed. so if i were to fix it, i shoudl might as well fix all the other things u mentioned earlier right? thanks a lot..

gsr ,
actually its not clutch clearance , but its more like adjusting the clutch pedal , example : when you let go the clutch just abit the car starts to launch and some people like their clutch to bite on half pedal , some like it high which is almost letting the cluch go fully then only the clutch bite .

this is some sort of clearance with the bearing & the pressure plate . and when changing the clutch. if a new clutch set has been installed , and you like the clutch pedal feel , then no need to adjust .

humms ,
well shaking & jerking its hard to troubleshoot , so best is to take out the mounting and check , if its torn then get it change , if the gearbox still jerks , then might be your flywheel is out of shape .

so bro vestax , wht is the bst level i shud make to overcome my difficulties of engaging gears..scared if probs getting worse and my gb has to be replace..shud i adjust it to lift alittle or lift more to overcome this probs

Wah.. great info and pics ves ...

I might need to find a better clutch plate and clutch as its slipping at high rpm.. this post reminds me to change the clucth pump as well

BTW, any of you guys have managed to change the 8.5" to a 9" clutch.. heard have to skim the GB housing a bit, I'm not that keen on that! I just need to hold around 200hp atw.. any 8.5" clutch can hold this without slipping. If possible not full race, its for a daily driven car! Sorry to sidetrack a bit ... :P Thanks

well if you want to change to 9" clutch you need to change the flywheel as well , skimming the gearbox housing is just another option , which is expensive cause have to send to machine shop , and if skim too much , the gearbox hosing which is suppose to lock the gearbox togather with the engine might crack when you dump the clutch too hard or too much torque . .

its best to skim off your clutch cover & clutch bolt , to make it fit in . im using the F5M21 gearbox which is the 1.3 gb , so to fit in the clutch , i my clutch cover & bolt . its much easier that way .

example : skim clutch cover & non skim clutch cover

clutchsize1.jpg

clutchsize.jpg

process of skimming the clutch bolt

zthclutch4.jpg

clutch6.jpg

Top Bottom