PROTON gets govt help under 9MP

trancebum

Known Member
you think to proton will wither n die? think again....and again.....and again....AND again!!

22 March 2006, The Edge DailyGovt may allocate RM27.5b under 9MP for automotive sector THE government may allocate at least a total of RM27.5 billion over the Ninth Malaysia Plan (9MP) period from 2006-2010 to fulfill the aspirations of the National Automotive Policy (NAP).
This will translate to about RM5.5 billion per annum, which is more than the revenue foregone from the previous rebates on excise duties given to national carmakers.
In its research note on a preview of 9MP on Monday, Mayban Securities Research expects the government to spend that sum on disbursements to all eligible players to increase the competitiveness of the local auto industry.
"We reckon some form of assistance would be given to all eligible players, including auto parts makers and perhaps even non-national assemblers, albeit with lower levels relative to national carmakers.
"We believe the fund to be disbursed would be done under a matching basis, whereby the government would match an amount spent by the recipient in an area, e.g. research and development (R&D). [Proton spent >RM100mil to develop the waja. will they get it all back??]
"However, we expect the amounts matched would depend on the area to be improved, with ciritical areas such as training and R&D to be provided more funds as compared to machine replacement," it said. Mayban Research said the main beneficiaries would still be Proton and Perodua and it did not expect the NAP funds to fully compensate the national carmakers for the loss of the rebates on excise duties. While expecting the matter could be covered under 9MP, the research house maintained a neutral stance on the sector for now due to the lack of specifics on the NAP and fund allocation.

should i say proton will continue to esixt as long as govt controlled by BN is around?

Dique said:
should i say proton will continue to esixt as long as govt controlled by BN is around?

if you look the other round..do we have a choice?...PAS???..

lonewolf said:

nope...we don't....tat's saddest case....just wish an equity right.....possible?

Last edited:
lonewolf said:

nobody know wat happen when PAS up.
may be we thinking of too negative of that but i can sure bn will make us more suffer.

4.4bil not only to bail MAS out, Proton as well. which ever way as long as to make the rich richer and the poor poorer.

that money better through it in the sea then through to the protong , atleast we can hear the sound of the water " droop droop droop " when the money fall in water !

Oh no Proton again. Anyway guys, please don't turn this into another Proton bashing thread again. I think Tom's hands are already tired deleting such threads. I believe he will have it easy to ban users rather than delete threads right? So do post constuctive and thought provoking stuff here. Anyway its better for us to limit political talks to mamaks. hehehe. :_:

CORRECTION to my posting. Here are the 'development costs' for respective models:

EXPENDITURES (INTERNALLY FUNDED)
Waja development : RM817 million
Gen2 development: RM500 million
SRM development: RM445 million
Savvy development: RM467 million

Source: http://www.motortrader.com.my/NUS/articles/0/article_399/page_m.asp

Another source mentions the costs to be >RM1BILLION:
:The Waja, which cost $US300 million to develop, is built in a new facility at Proton's Shah Alam factory near Kuala Lumpur."

source: http://www.redbook.goauto.com.au/me...76FCF046488967C8CA256A690083426E?OpenDocument

Last edited:
trancebum said:
CORRECTION to my posting. Here are the 'development costs' for respective models:

they could have developed a Rolls Royce Phantom and Maybach with that money(US$200 million???). Toyota total R&D cost only about RM700 million per year.

Are they developing the car which can turn into a plane just like my young time cartoon M.A.S.K ????

trancebum said:

Another source mentions the costs to be >RM1BILLION:
:The Waja, which cost $US300 million to develop, is built in a new facility at Proton's Shah Alam factory near Kuala Lumpur."

source: http://www.redbook.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/76FCF046488967C8CA256A690083426E?OpenDocument

KNNCCB!!! So expensive for development, ar? If it's new technology, it's understandable but what's the latest? DOHC, 16 valves for the Junk2, niah.
It'll be cheaper and better for e.g. if Proton takes those old Datsun 1.6L carb engines designs from Nissan, change the head to 16V and plonk in fuel injection.

Ineficiency in execution and bad planning especially in terms of platform sharing and scaling, I guess.

The Campro for example, why wasn't it suitable for the Savvy? Why was't it designed with that in mind? The Gen 2 and SRM could and should be based on the same platform. The only difference being the outer shell and trimmings? Did they need that much money to make the SRM? Hell, one could argue they could have based both cars on the Waja platform, I mean, why not?

Proton really needs a good mentor, father even. Someone like what VW would have been. Too bad they fucked that up too, with "national interests" in mind. VW wasn't even asking for control of Proton, but instead the control of the co-op which would result in the partnership.

This is ridiculous , approving something like that means feeding more money to the upper management in protong. How will only people make the government stop all this kinda BS man..

and i guess people who wants to jump onto the bandwagon to feed on the goverment esp the protong people.

gee .... worse news day after day....

i would think they give the RM20 billion for the cancer association , or use it to develop the country's education facilities , or more hospitals......

would be a lot more better than dumping it on a dying company .......

RM 4.4bil for public trasport (share across multiple LRT, Bus company) and RM27.5 Bil for single company that produce car and jam the road?

what direction Malaysia gov is heading?
Less car with more effective public transport or more (proton car) and less effective public transport?

I love BN, I Love the F**king BN.

Top Bottom