Pros and cons of engine braking?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I need my pedals further apart as my feet too big......hhahahhahah
SAME! OMG... but your feet bigger la confirm.

I never had issues with heeling on my wira. Biggest issue was the timing. i never got it right before selling off the car.

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
Yup, like I suspected, they're quite far apart to start practicing especially if your feet also not big. Better buy some pedal extension kit like below, those should help a lot.

Another thing is better wear shoes.
I don't drive barefoot. Never tried that. Normally I wear sandals or normal Nike shoes.

These pedals are needed to make it easier to perform heel toe technique right? Is it really needed for rev matching (without braking)?
Pedal covers might just help. It is true some cars come with shitty foot pedals
the covers might just add some weight to the pedals to ease response
but in any case, without is just as fine, after all it's mostly in the pedal timing

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I don't drive barefoot. Never tried that. Normally I wear sandals or normal Nike shoes.

These pedals are needed to make it easier to perform heel toe technique right? Is it really needed for rev matching (without braking)?
Better not wear sandals when practicing heel & toe coz it may slip or get caught with the pedals.
Yes those pedal makes it easier to practice heel & toe. If just pure rev matching without braking then no need but the target end result is to be able to do heel & toe so you can brake and rev match at the same time while slowing down.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I need my pedals further apart as my feet too big......hhahahhahah
but in any case, without is just as fine, after all it's mostly in the pedal timing
For me, my foot is a bit skinny & smallish, so those pedal kits help quite a bit for heel & toe.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
I need to master rev matching first before starting on heel toe which is even more difficult as I need to brake and rev with the same foot.

Better not wear sandals when practicing heel & toe coz it may slip or get caught with the pedals.
Yes those pedal makes it easier to practice heel & toe. If just pure rev matching without braking then no need but the target end result is to be able to do heel & toe so you can brake and rev match at the same time while slowing down.
My kind of sandals are not those that will slip. It looks something like this.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
that's not the problem Renesis. Getting your pedal stuck in the gaps while you move your foot around is the risky part

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
Yes guys, it is only right to drive with shoes and not sandals.
Especially when exploring the finer side of driving, one should always wear shoes

And thin soles allows better feel of the pedals and are best, thick sole Running shoes not recommended.
you need the least movement and only shoes provide that. Not to mention sandals can get hooked to the pedals like Izso said.

Shoes like these are best:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I need to master rev matching first before starting on heel toe which is even more difficult as I need to brake and rev with the same foot.

My kind of sandals are not those that will slip. It looks something like this.

If I were you, I'd just go straight to practicing heel & toe. Because even though there's the same rev matching aspect but the way to do is slightly different. When you just do rev matching you'd jab the gas with the whole upper part of your foot, while in heel & toe you need to blip using the side foot towards the heel part. If you just practice rev matching first and gotten used to jabbing the gas with the whole upper part of the foot, then later once you want to try heel & toe you might not get used to jabbing it with the side foot and hence need to practice again.

With those sandals, there's still some risk of the pedal edges/corners got stuck within those holes especially when you try to jab the gas during heel & toe. Shoes still better and safer. Maybe once you've become good at it, then you can wear what ever you like.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Especially when exploring the finer side of driving, one should always wear shoes

And thin soles allows better feel of the pedals and are best, thick sole Running shoes not recommended.
you need the least movement and only shoes provide that. Not to mention sandals can get hooked to the pedals like Izso said.

Yup, shoes with thin rubber soles are the best, and not those with the squarish heel step up like formal dress shoes unless you're like Ayrton Senna! :biggrin:

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
If I were you, I'd just go straight to practicing heel & toe. Because even though there's the same rev matching aspect but the way to do is slightly different. When you just do rev matching you'd jab the gas with the whole upper part of your foot, while in heel & toe you need to blip using the side foot towards the heel part. If you just practice rev matching first and gotten used to jabbing the gas with the whole upper part of the foot, then later once you want to try heel & toe you might not get used to jabbing it with the side foot and hence need to practice again.
agreed.

although for some people they find it easier from learning rev matching without the heel toe step

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ

kaki ayam kenot meh T_T

slippers keep getting caught, shoes tend to pull the whole mat forward causing other problems

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
SAME! OMG... but your feet bigger la confirm.

I never had issues with heeling on my wira. Biggest issue was the timing. i never got it right before selling off the car.
I drove older 3 series manual before and I step on clutch and brakes at the same time......lol:biggrin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

does anyone seen this HKS product before? its a ignition booster system similar to latest HKS twin power. i need its wiring diagram or wire colour code. pls help.
thanks in advance.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience