Pros and cons of engine braking?

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Actually i think the more modern cars with DSG or auto tiptronic, will downshift itself when you step on the brake. My car also like that, but of course, it is not as fast as when you do it yourself. There is a lag between the time you brake and the time it downshift itself. Ok for when daily driving. But if spirited driving, change to manual mode and shift yourself is better....:driver::driver::driver:
Hmm mine during braking, it will not downshift on it's own to follow the speed. It'll only downshift once you go back on throttle and the engine sense that it's on too high gear and not enough torque. But my car is old car with old technology, the shift response is also lagging and no throttle blip. The CLA45 should be the state of the art technology already.

My wife drive the SUV in D, but when I drive it, normally goes to the + and - side......hhahhahhaha:biggrin:
I actually very seldom use the sport/tiptronic mode. I only use it if I want to go fast or go up/down Genting or that sort of interesting routes for driving.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Tried rev matching today for many times throughout my drive. Initially I am still not used to it but as I try it on, I seemed to get the hang of it.

When the rev matches, the downshift transition is very smooth without any jerking or lurching at all unlike normal downshifting. Just the engine noise is slightly louder (more like sound from intake) because I jabbed the throttle.

But there are also several times when I am going at lower speeds and I tried rev matching but I end up jabbing the throttle too hard which resulted the RPM to jump higher than the matching point. That makes my car jerk slightly forward.

For now, I think rev matching is a bit difficult to pull out at lower RPM like under 2500RPM.

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
Tried rev matching today for many times throughout my drive. Initially I am still not used to it but as I try it on, I seemed to get the hang of it.

When the rev matches, the downshift transition is very smooth without any jerking or lurching at all unlike normal downshifting. Just the engine noise is slightly louder (more like sound from intake) because I jabbed the throttle.

But there are also several times when I am going at lower speeds and I tried rev matching but I end up jabbing the throttle too hard which resulted the RPM to jump higher than the matching point. That makes my car jerk slightly forward.

For now, I think rev matching is a bit difficult to pull out at lower RPM like under 2500RPM.
Good to know you're trying hard Renesis

Okay, as mentioned,

The higher the gear the less the blip
For example,

• 6th to 5th : blip level 1
  • 5th to 4th : blip level 2
  • 4th to 3rd : blip level 3
  • 3rd to 2nd : blip level 4
What you can experiment now to determine the rev range at which you should be blipping:

1. Drive at 100km/h on 5th gear and note RPM range (e.g.: 2500)
  2. Drive at 100km/h on 4th gear and note RPM range (e.g.: 3500)
  3. Now you know what rev range you're at at a certain gear number
  4. Then proceed to drive and maintain at 100km/h in 5th gear
  5. Try dropping to 4th and blip throttle between 3500-3700
  6. Adjust footwork to find sweet spot
  7. You should be able to repeat this smoothly from now on

Good luck

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
and my method of blipping only have little different between high rpm spirited driving and relaxed shopping driving....

key is how fast to release the clutch and how agressive the clutch-bitting transition point....

example-

race mode: release the clutch like a reverse of kicking the clutch

sport mode: release the clutch like normal drive...

relaxed mode: super slow-motion clutch release....

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Good to know you're trying hard Renesis

Okay, as mentioned,

The higher the gear the less the blip
For example,

• 6th to 5th : blip level 1
  • 5th to 4th : blip level 2
  • 4th to 3rd : blip level 3
  • 3rd to 2nd : blip level 4
What you can experiment now to determine the rev range at which you should be blipping:

1. Drive at 100km/h on 5th gear and note RPM range (e.g.: 2500)
  2. Drive at 100km/h on 4th gear and note RPM range (e.g.: 3500)
  3. Now you know what rev range you're at at a certain gear number
  4. Then proceed to drive and maintain at 100km/h in 5th gear
  5. Try dropping to 4th and blip throttle between 3500-3700
  6. Adjust footwork to find sweet spot
  7. You should be able to repeat this smoothly from now on

Good luck
I felt that I still need more time to adjust and familiarize myself with my footwork because all these while, I'm not used to blip the throttle during downshift. So, there are occasions that I got slightly messed up in my footwork. I need more time and practice.

Another thing is, rev matching is easier to do on open roads or mainroads where I can drive at higher speeds or higher RPM. In town/city driving, it is quite difficult to do it because I'm mostly driving under 2500rpm or under 40kmh. I think rev matching is not needed in such situation right?

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Btw what car actually do you drive? If the pedal position is not nice where the distance between brake & gas is too far apart, and/or the height or level of the the 2 pedals is also too different, then it's a lot more difficult to do it smoothly, for example Toyota Avanza. You may want to try some pedal kit accessories which widen up the pedals and hence can make them closer to each other. Some pedal kits have adjustable extension on the bottom right of the brake and the bottom left of the gas pedal (if not mistaken like Razo brand) hence makes the distance so much closer and easier to heel & toe.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Btw what car actually do you drive? If the pedal position is not nice where the distance between brake & gas is too far apart, and/or the height or level of the the 2 pedals is also too different, then it's a lot more difficult to do it smoothly, for example Toyota Avanza. You may want to try some pedal kit accessories which widen up the pedals and hence can make them closer to each other. Some pedal kits have adjustable extension on the bottom right of the brake and the bottom left of the gas pedal (if not mistaken like Razo brand) hence makes the distance so much closer and easier to heel & toe.
Proton Wira 1.5 4G15.

Here's a picture of the pedal. Sorry that it is slightly blur as I got the wrong camera focus.

Bro. Renesis have our famous Wila loh......:driver:
:biggrin:

Attachments

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
Yup, like I suspected, they're quite far apart to start practicing especially if your feet also not big. Better buy some pedal extension kit like below, those should help a lot.

https://www.google.co.id/search?q=r...KHdv2ALIQ_AUIBigB&dpr=1#imgrc=YnuOoOhUIKklJM:

https://www.google.co.id/search?q=r...KHdv2ALIQ_AUIBigB&dpr=1#imgrc=lTAsYw2NXe_oMM:

Another thing is better wear shoes.
these things do help.....
if u do wana buy a pair and you always drive barefoot.... i have a tip, make sure its not metal... your feet will get burnt every time you park under the sun... not fun...

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Yup, like I suspected, they're quite far apart to start practicing especially if your feet also not big. Better buy some pedal extension kit like below, those should help a lot.

https://www.google.co.id/search?q=r...KHdv2ALIQ_AUIBigB&dpr=1#imgrc=YnuOoOhUIKklJM:

https://www.google.co.id/search?q=r...KHdv2ALIQ_AUIBigB&dpr=1#imgrc=lTAsYw2NXe_oMM:

Another thing is better wear shoes.
these things do help.....
if u do wana buy a pair and you always drive barefoot.... i have a tip, make sure its not metal... your feet will get burnt every time you park under the sun... not fun...
I don't drive barefoot. Never tried that. Normally I wear sandals or normal Nike shoes.

These pedals are needed to make it easier to perform heel toe technique right? Is it really needed for rev matching (without braking)?

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
I don't drive barefoot. Never tried that. Normally I wear sandals or normal Nike shoes.

These pedals are needed to make it easier to perform heel toe technique right? Is it really needed for rev matching (without braking)?
haha i guess it does help to a certain degree. If your legs are 'dexterous' i guess anything would do. Stock pedals usually rubbery, i find its not so easy to slide around. With these, the 'tapak' is bigger, easier to reach the pedals and the material makes it easier to slide about. long as the heights are about the same, i guess it does help.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

My car CEL seems to come on when the car is about to switch to lean burn mode, so the ECONO light on the dash does not illuminate. Tailpipe is sooty black and fuel consumption is increased.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience