Pros and cons of engine braking?

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Only that one time the jam is bad. Otherwise, still fine.
A few places in PJ will jam badly especially before and after work...:banghead:

Basically not Penang, Ipoh of PJ drivers, most drivers on the whole, cut queue, worst is no signals.....lol

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
A few places in PJ will jam badly especially before and after work...:banghead:

Basically not Penang, Ipoh of PJ drivers, most drivers on the whole, cut queue, worst is no signals.....lol
Not nice to drive anymore if live in those areas with frequent traffic jams...

Queue is rarely long in Ipoh, so I don't really see a lot of people cutting queue in Ipoh. No signal is common. But I have seen worse where people signal to left or right, then turn on the opposite way... Also met before those who turn on signal and I thought they want to turn into the junction. Luckily I did not exit that junction because the one who turn on the signal did not turn in but continue driving straight with signal on... :banghead:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Looks like no place to practice heel toe in Jakarta. :biggrin: Your hometown is in Jakarta or you just happen to be there occasionally?

Your worse experience in traffic jam back in Jakarta is?
Still can practice but yeah not as often as here coz very often you will just crawl in 1st-2nd gear only. From when I started driving in the mid 80s up to the early 90s still not too bad. Starting the mid 90s to now, it gets worse and worse. It's worse than Bangkok, probably only cities like Mumbai and Manila can rival it. Worse experience? Phew too many to recall. For example just my regular trip between my house to my old office which was just 11km but on a normal day will take me 45-50mins 1 way. From my house to my parent's which is only 14km away, will easily take me 50-60mins. If got rain or some demonstration or accident, well easily 1.5hrs or more! Then when there was flooding, at 1 time took me like almost 3 hrs even when I went back after 8pm. My friend who tried to go back at 4pm ended up reaching home around 10-11pm, coz he had to stop and forcced to have snacks/dinner on the road side!

Jkt is my hometown, I was born there.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Still can practice but yeah not as often as here coz very often you will just crawl in 1st-2nd gear only. From when I started driving in the mid 80s up to the early 90s still not too bad. Starting the mid 90s to now, it gets worse and worse. It's worse than Bangkok, probably only cities like Mumbai and Manila can rival it. Worse experience? Phew too many to recall. For example just my regular trip between my house to my old office which was just 11km but on a normal day will take me 45-50mins 1 way. From my house to my parent's which is only 14km away, will easily take me 50-60mins. If got rain or some demonstration or accident, well easily 1.5hrs or more! Then when there was flooding, at 1 time took me like almost 3 hrs even when I went back after 8pm. My friend who tried to go back at 4pm ended up reaching home around 10-11pm, coz he had to stop and forcced to have snacks/dinner on the road side!

Jkt is my hometown, I was born there.
You came from a big city.

3 hours for less than 20km journey? Are you driving your manual Lancer back then? If you are, that is crazy...

How is the car culture over Indonesia? I don't think car price is cheap over there but traffic jam is so bad... Over population or too many people buying cars due to inefficient public transportation?

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
You came from a big city.

3 hours for less than 20km journey? Are you driving your manual Lancer back then? If you are, that is crazy...

How is the car culture over Indonesia? I don't think car price is cheap over there but traffic jam is so bad... Over population or too many people buying cars due to inefficient public transportation?
Yes, I only drove manual cars back then! I only started driving auto since 2011.

Indonesia especially big cities like Jkt have big car culture, a lot of people do mods and involved in clubs gathering. Car prices are also exorbitant like here, slightly cheaper for normal cars but a lot more expensive for high end cars. Traffic jams caused by both, over population (>12mill in Jkt alone) and very poor public transport (no LRT/MRT yet and bad buses) except taxi.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Yes, I only drove manual cars back then! I only started driving auto since 2011.

Indonesia especially big cities like Jkt have big car culture, a lot of people do mods and involved in clubs gathering. Car prices are also exorbitant like here, slightly cheaper for normal cars but a lot more expensive for high end cars. Traffic jams caused by both, over population (>12mill in Jkt alone) and very poor public transport (no LRT/MRT yet and bad buses) except taxi.
So, you had a long long history with manual cars. Must have took you some time to adjust to the 2 pedal driving and slower response of auto box. I've only driven auto once and I really can't get used to it.

Seems like there is a lot for the Indonesian government to work on to improve many things in the country. I've also heard that the gap between rich and poor is also very large. Your country had the advantage of human resource and manpower but perhaps they are not well utilized enough to bring more improvements to the country. If everything goes well, I'm sure Indonesia can have the growth potential to be like China. Education seems okay as I have seen Indonesians writing in proper formal English on the internet as opposed to many Malaysians writing completely broken English everywhere. :banghead:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
So, you had a long long history with manual cars. Must have took you some time to adjust to the 2 pedal driving and slower response of auto box. I've only driven auto once and I really can't get used to it.

Seems like there is a lot for the Indonesian government to work on to improve many things in the country. I've also heard that the gap between rich and poor is also very large. Your country had the advantage of human resource and manpower but perhaps they are not well utilized enough to bring more improvements to the country. If everything goes well, I'm sure Indonesia can have the growth potential to be like China. Education seems okay as I have seen Indonesians writing in proper formal English on the internet as opposed to many Malaysians writing completely broken English everywhere. :banghead:
Hmm adjust to the driving was easy. I started driving auto for good when I bought my Livina in 2011. Before that just like adhoc here and there test drive my friend's car or drive a rental car for a very short term (maybe total 4 times only driving auto prior to 2011). Straight out of the Nissan showroom to pick up my car, I immediately applied left foot braking too, no issues. I just feel bored quickly with auto as the car is not 100% in my control.

Yeah, too many people to take care with corrupt government. Yes the gap is more than here.
English, well 10 yrs ago also not good but in the last 5 yrs or so seems a lot better.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Hmm adjust to the driving was easy. I started driving auto for good when I bought my Livina in 2011. Before that just like adhoc here and there test drive my friend's car or drive a rental car for a very short term (maybe total 4 times only driving auto prior to 2011). Straight out of the Nissan showroom to pick up my car, I immediately applied left foot braking too, no issues. I just feel bored quickly with auto as the car is not 100% in my control.

Yeah, too many people to take care with corrupt government. Yes the gap is more than here.
English, well 10 yrs ago also not good but in the last 5 yrs or so seems a lot better.
I thought Livina is available in manual. You should have gone for that. :biggrin: Left foot braking is normally used by race car drivers isn't it? For cars without traditional manual transmission.

Looks like each countries in south east asia have problems of their own. Compared to many, Malaysia is actually doing quite well already although not that well recently. Your English is very good. You even adopted the Malaysian English style in your writing, hahahaha.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I thought Livina is available in manual. You should have gone for that. :biggrin: Left foot braking is normally used by race car drivers isn't it? For cars without traditional manual transmission.

Looks like each countries in south east asia have problems of their own. Compared to many, Malaysia is actually doing quite well already although not that well recently. Your English is very good. You even adopted the Malaysian English style in your writing, hahahaha.
Yes but the wife only wants auto as she's driving it now. Left foot braking is like playing go kart lor! And yeah race car drivers who don't have clutch pedals in their race cars (like F1) mostly do left foot braking.

Hahaha I'm already 9 yrs here, so of course will get influenced by the local style. Before that I went to uni in the US so already used to English speaking environment.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Yes but the wife only wants auto as she's driving it now. Left foot braking is like playing go kart lor! And yeah race car drivers who don't have clutch pedals in their race cars (like F1) mostly do left foot braking.

Hahaha I'm already 9 yrs here, so of course will get influenced by the local style. Before that I went to uni in the US so already used to English speaking environment.
I heard even races like GT3 and similar categories applies left foot braking too.

You blend in with Malaysian culture well. In my university, there is a lecturer from Nigeria who knows how to speak Malay after staying in Malaysia for more than 10 years. Culture in Malaysia is easy to adapt to maybe.

You even stayed before at USA. Looks like you came from a very good and wealthy background back in your hometown. :biggrin:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I heard even races like GT3 and similar categories applies left foot braking too.

You blend in with Malaysian culture well. In my university, there is a lecturer from Nigeria who knows how to speak Malay after staying in Malaysia for more than 10 years. Culture in Malaysia is easy to adapt to maybe.

You even stayed before at USA. Looks like you came from a very good and wealthy background back in your hometown. :biggrin:
Just middle class la, not wealthy. Now my turn to provide some support for my parents on big expenses like medicals. If wealthy then I won't need to do that.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Just middle class la, not wealthy. Now my turn to provide some support for my parents on big expenses like medicals. If wealthy then I won't need to do that.

I see. Well, at least you are doing considerably well compared to many of those who live in poverty in Indonesia. I hope your parents are healthy and well.

Back on topic on heel & toe, today I tried it again and I got better with it. No longer like last week where I can only do it successfully at a 20-30% rate. Today, most of my attempts are successful. I'm actually surprised how it became so easy. I din't really do anything for the past few days except that I have been driving Myvi manual for 3 days. I left my car at home because I suspect the gasket is leaking. Today I took it for a drive to visit my mechanic and that is when I am able to try out heel & toe. When driving the Myvi, I did try out once in a while to do heel & toe on it but it was way more difficult because the travel distance of the throttle pedal is very short. It is like 60% press on my Wira's throttle pedal = Myvi at full throttle. That is how short the pedal travelling distance felt like.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I see. Well, at least you are doing considerably well compared to many of those who live in poverty in Indonesia. I hope your parents are healthy and well.

Back on topic on heel & toe, today I tried it again and I got better with it. No longer like last week where I can only do it successfully at a 20-30% rate. Today, most of my attempts are successful. I'm actually surprised how it became so easy. I din't really do anything for the past few days except that I have been driving Myvi manual for 3 days. I left my car at home because I suspect the gasket is leaking. Today I took it for a drive to visit my mechanic and that is when I am able to try out heel & toe. When driving the Myvi, I did try out once in a while to do heel & toe on it but it was way more difficult because the travel distance of the throttle pedal is very short. It is like 60% press on my Wira's throttle pedal = Myvi at full throttle. That is how short the pedal travelling distance felt like.
Well they're doing ok, thx. Of course already very old people, so nothing is perfectly healthy anyway, you know.

Very good that you've made real progress. I thought if the Myvi gas pedal travel is much shorter (meaning the gas is more sensitive), then actually better/easier as you don't need to blip as much or move your feet as much to get a good blip.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Well they're doing ok, thx. Of course already very old people, so nothing is perfectly healthy anyway, you know.

Very good that you've made real progress. I thought if the Myvi gas pedal travel is much shorter (meaning the gas is more sensitive), then actually better/easier as you don't need to blip as much or move your feet as much to get a good blip.
You're welcome. I live with my grandparents since young until now. They are in their 80s now. I get what you mean by nothing is perfectly healthy. Always need to be careful of their health also also when they are walking.

The thing is for Myvi, since the travel is shorter, the pedal is located much closer to the firewall than Wira. So, it is a bit harder for my heel to reach it since the difference in alignment is more than Wira. Plus, since the pedal travel is shorter, it is more sensitive to input. Meanwhile, the Saga Iswara I had at home had the longest travel distance for the throttle pedal. Perhaps it might be easier to do heel & toe in that car but I haven't tried it yet.

Another thing is, previously while learning rev matching during downshifts, I use the front part of my foot to blip the throttle. Today, I naturally reacted by blipping the throttle (without braking) with my heel. Probably because after a few attempts in heel toe, I started to change my way of blipping the throttle even without braking. Now, I hope soon, heel toe will become like a natural reaction of my feet like gear shifting instead of a conscious action.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi guys, anyone tried the new turtle wax product? It sounds very good but I can't find it in Penang.

Any opinion?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience