Hello Guest! Log in or Sign up for a full experience & ad-free!

Police : Salary vs their job

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

satria_95

6,000 RPM
Also another news taken from The Star online.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Policemen in daily fight against crime and high cost of living

THEY shoulder a heavy load but they are allegedly getting paid pittance for their job. Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Musa Hassan said the men and women of the police force are providing cheap labour for the public. LOURDES CHARLES, FARIK ZOLKEPLI and RASHITHA A. HAMID look at their plight.

A POLICEWOMAN at the Brickfields police station in Kuala Lumpur laments that she is always haunted by the thought that she may not return home alive to see her children.

A constable in Sungai Buloh, Selangor, said that there were times when he had to borrow from friends to buy essential items such as milk powder and diapers and to pay the family's medical bills.

A young traffic policeman in Kulai, Johor, who is a diploma holder, said with a salary of RM1,066, he had to pay off his study loan and that of his wife as well as the tuition fees of his three younger brothers.

There are thousands in the police force like them, with a myriad of personal problems to deal with while tackling the massive woes connected to crime prevention, public order and traffic.

They do not expect thanks from the public, who are more accustom to accusations of bad people relation, alleged corruption and alleged misuse of authority.

What they expect is a better deal that is consistent with the responsibility they have to shoulder. They want better wages.

Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Musa Hassan said for all the flak that they got and all the risks that they faced, his men and women of the police force were not getting the wages they deserved. He said it was akin to providing cheap labour.

For instance, can a single mother be expected to survive and raise a family with RM1,200 when every day she is putting her life on the line to protect others?
Lans Kpl I. Cecilia, 41, a detective at the Brickfields police station and a mother of three, said she had been trying to make ends meet since she joined the force in 1988.

“Every month, I have to pay for my car, my house and daily expenses.
“Renting a house in the city is not cheap and the standard of living here is so high that I have a major headache trying to make sure my money lasts the whole month.”

“The increase in the price of oil has affected almost everything else. I can hardly save money for my kid’s and my future.

“I have three school-going children. The monthly cost involved in raising each child is at least RM200, as I need to buy them books, pay for their tuition and cater to their daily expenses. How can I do so on a salary of only RM1,200?”

Cecilia, who has to work round the clock sometimes, said her worst nightmare was if something were to happen to her family when she was not at home.

Constable Mohd Firus Rosli, 24, a father of two, said his take-home pay of RM900 was barely enough to support his family and a younger brother who had just entered university.

The policeman at the Sungai Buloh police station said he had to take a RM7,000 bank loan to help his brother get into campus.

“There were times when I had to borrow from friends to make ends meet,” he said, adding that much of his wages went to buying milk powder, diapers and medicine for his two kids, aged three and one.

Firus, whose father was also a policeman, said his wife, who used to work at a nearby factory, had to resign to take care of their children because they could not afford a childminder.

He said he sometimes felt sad hearing public criticisms against the force.
“We have a job to do and I intend to do what is required of me. I just pray and hope that the Government will accept the proposal by our IGP for a salary review,” added the young constable who joined the force in 2004.

Lans Kpl Sius @ Albasius said life was a struggle in a state that was considered one of the most expensive places to live in Malaysia.

“My present salary and the various allowances thrown in can barely cover my monthly expenses, including paying off study loans for myself and my wife and the tuition fees of my three brothers,” said the 29-year old policeman who holds a diploma in Management Technology in Accountancy from Universiti Teknologi Malaysia.

His wife has yet to find a job, and so his monthly police allowances of about RM500 goes to food and other necessities.

“Being the eldest of four siblings, I have to pay for their school fees. One of them is studying at a farming institute in Lahad Datu, Sabah.”

He was looking forward to a salary increase, which, he said, would inspire the workforce to work harder.

“The present salary is not enough if one takes into account the risk policemen take everyday,” he said, disclosing that he was only earning RM1,066 a month.

“My role model is my father who is a retired policeman. I watched him since I was a child and always wanted to emulate him.

“My dream job was becoming a policeman and now that I have achieved it I hope to give my best,'' he said, adding that he cherishes his job.

Last edited:
Sometimes, perhaps we are too harsh on the police force with our criticism just because of a number of cops were crappy. Yet again, even if they are having serious struggles just to make a living, it doesn't give `em (those bad eggs) the right to try to abuse their power and simply find faults with the citizens. Sigh... such controversial and such subjective issue. A salary not even amounting to RM1500 and they have families to support. Gosh, how do they survive with the current cost of living.

Yet another question that's always in my mind is, "why they even bother to have kids when they're in such tight financial state. Can't they just NOT have kids till they are better off financially. Well, I just hope and pray that things will work out good for them. I think I'll have to rest my negative comments on them for a bit.

Let me see... cops, teachers and doctors (government) earn pitiful sum but stupid ass politicians and their families earn thousands and even millions! I propose the Government cut politician's salaries by 20% to offset the increase to cops, teachers and doctors.

True .. not all police personnel are in bad attitudes. As said "Nila setitik rosak susu sebelanga" ... because of some people the rest gets bad names too .. i have seen some of my fren police personnel and CID's are very wealthy .. and some constables whom still surviving in low-middle class situation.

Some cops are wealthy because their wives or husbands have their own legal business. I know one cop who make thousands monthly simply because his wife runs a successful used car dealership in Melaka, a family business).

thats just the basic right ? excluding service charge during patrols .

acbc,
But govt seems to be complaining that they dun have money already. So how to offset? Well, they "say" no money la. But the truth, we don't know la. hahahhaa

its a sad thing to hear about...mayb this why alot of bad cops around..they juz need more money to survive...

better use EPF funds to pay the police higher salary instead of bailing out GLC. At least when the police gets higher pay, they value their job. And with anti-bribery enforce like the HK ICAC, the police will be clean. Then we can expect a safer society......with GLC bailout, what's the benefit??

it's really sad how u look at the government treating the police force and also our civil service workers.
That's why ppl would rather not work in Government sector if there's a chance.

Compare the price a Singapore police earns as compared to ours. The basic itself is attracting enough to get ppl joining the force. And yet everyday we're complaining about police corruptions. How is there way to stop corruption when living standard is high but pay is not enough to survive?! The corruptions are ways for them to earn "extra money".

And also we omplain slow service at government sectors. Did the government ever wonder why or even take notice?!
What do u expect? we always do things we felt equivalent to the rewards....guess all those civil servants are human beings and have the same feelings too. How to entice them to work harder?!.....guess we all know the obvious answers!

Yup, if the policeman is not earning enuf, his children goes hungry, his wife everyday nag "ini tak cukup, itu tak cukup", naturally if we ask for 2nd chance and push RM50 for him, if u were in his shoes what would you do?

If me, I will take it. After all, all my colleagues takes bribe. My boss, ASP XX takes bribe. His boss takes bribe.......biasalah, somemore anti corruption agency also takes bribe......member kaki bribe.........

But if the pay is good, C&B is good, I cannot risk losing my job for a mere RM50!! Maybe RM500,000 lain ceritalah

b00n,
Thing is... we will complain first. Then think about their life style later. hahaha By that time, already too late cos we already curse and complain them. hahaha

hahaha....true true...
we're only human!.....wakakaka

that's why the motivators always reminded us this: "God creates us with 2 eyes and 2 ears; but 1 mouth for a reason".

but they forgot 10 fingers could also be a disaster!.......wakakakakka

b00n,
10 fingers no disaster also. It's only 1 dick that's the disaster cos we only get to "park" 1 girl at a time. If got 10 dicks, then we can satisfy 10 girls at one time. hahahaha

yes,the gaji kecik and they have to support family.those Bee-end gov really know how to control this country..sugar-up,petrol-up,chili-up,interest rate-up, minister gaji-up..our life..still the same.work hard gaji still the same..do haram side business kena raid by gov. official, do halal busines have to pay this and that..morale of the story,u know who to vote for next election.

10 fingers - itchy hand syndrom also dies.......
wakakakaka

but anyway, why is the Government paying our local civil servant so low. In overseas, I presume alot is proud to work for their Government unlike here.......
Us younger generation would only work for the Government if out of choice.....
*sigh*

Who?...pls go and knock the Government on their head and ask them to re-think the policies before deciding on Malaysia Plan lar; budget lar and all that carps.....

summary:
A police Constable (25 years old) has turned into a snacth theif after work. In a period of 1 year; he's commited 40 cases.
Currently the constable is being relieved of his job and being detained for further investigation.
He's being in the force for a mere 2 years and only started his rampage 1 year after joining the police force.
In the evening of 23rd; a team anti snatch thief police (Team D4) manage to apprehand the culprit in "Si Len" road(where's that?...direct translation from chinese---Sentul?). There's a cat and mouse pursuit before they finally manage to catch him.
When they caught him; they still don't know of his police identity. Only when they body searched the guy and found his police badge than the thruth is out.
Source said that the guy's active hunting place after work is Bukit Bintang area and .....Damn...(chinese translation of address is freaking hard).

There's another 2 area where the guy frequents; but dun know how to translate as I didn't regconise the so called street names in chinese. One is the one I mentioned above which was where he's being caught.

hmm..in sg and hk...working for gov is good with all the benefits.~

but their salary simply exceed rm3-4k...

hk especially cincai also got rm4-5k a month

Top Bottom