Oversize Throttle Body

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search
Mar 21, 2008
Bigger TB is same as carburetor engines putting on weber. Larger intake, shorter air travel and more direct respond, will resulting about 5-10horse power increaments (may be vary, donot flame me).

But significantly, your engine respond from low rev to high rev will be improved, you will be able to feel it. But if increase alot in size, remember to readjust the AFR, you donot want to run too lean n overheat/kill your engine :thefinger:

jinkl

4,000 RPM
May 22, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
some info

The idea behind upgrading your throttle body is to help provide more air to your motor. Just because you increase the size of your throttle body opening doesn't mean that it will increase the size of the inlet port on your intake manifold. If your throttle body opening is larger than the inlet port on your intake manifold it will create a step. Air will always take the path of least resistance during travel so as it travels along the wall of your throttle body opening it will actually bounce back when it hits the inlet port on your manifold if there is a lip. The bigger the offset between the throttle body opening and inlet port on the intake manifold the more air gets pushed back. There are ways to overcome the problems caused by overlarge throttle body bores but you should only have to deal with them if its necessary to buy an oversized throttle body for your vehicle.

Mar 21, 2008
wow, very hard to understand what both of u written above.....I'm almost gaga @.@ n catch no ball.......

dear customDIY;
What you actually should do is simple, the list below :)

- Larger TB (RM250+-)
- PNP your engine head (RM800+-)
- PNP intake manifold (RM150+-)
- Skim 2mm off enginehead (RM 150+-)
- 3" CAI intake (Buy 3" PU hose from huakenny RM80+-)
- 3" OpePod (RM150+-)
- Aftermarket ram air manifold (RM100+-)
- Lightened flywheel (RM150+-)
- After market clutch (RM600+-)
- High capasity fuel pump (RM180+- from chop shop, walbro 225 RM650+-)
- Performance spark cables or upgrade ignition coil (RM300+-)

Estimated improvement should be 15-20hp increase, 40% performance increase, and 30% torque curve increase

Then you will see decent enhancement, by changing larger TB alone doesnt give much effects.
Coz either you DO, or DONT do......hehe

PS: After all calculation, BOT might be a better choice

Last edited:

customDIY

4,000 RPM
Oct 3, 2008
Dear SoYouThinkYouCanDrive ,

My dream to build a engine like this

DonJuanDeMarco

Known Member
May 10, 2007
wow, very hard to understand what both of u written above.....I'm almost gaga @.@ n catch no ball.......

dear customDIY;
What you actually should do is simple, the list below :)

- Larger TB (RM250+-)
- PNP your engine head (RM800+-)
- PNP intake manifold (RM150+-)
- Skim 2mm off enginehead (RM 150+-)
- 3" CAI intake (Buy 3" PU hose from huakenny RM80+-)
- 3" OpePod (RM150+-)
- Aftermarket ram air manifold (RM100+-)
- Lightened flywheel (RM150+-)
- After market clutch (RM600+-)
- High capasity fuel pump (RM180+- from chop shop, walbro 225 RM650+-)
- Performance spark cables or upgrade ignition coil (RM300+-)

Estimated improvement should be 15-20hp increase, 40% performance increase, and 30% torque curve increase

Then you will see decent enhancement, by changing larger TB alone doesnt give much effects.
Coz either you DO, or DONT do......hehe

PS: After all calculation, BOT might be a better choice

yaka......

ha ha ha ha

Wira_lover

Known Member
Jun 6, 2007
all sifus,kindly advice
after using a Larger TB..can the ecu adapt and adjust the AirFuelRatio ? Can a fuel pressure regulator be sufficient to support this mod?
or is it NECESSARY to get a vafc?
I guess the best would be to get a larger intake manifold along with a larger Tb then add on a vafc and send for tuning?

thanks in advance.

Mar 21, 2008
how la bro, his formula get more than powerzone hehehehhe
no wor, what is powerzone ? some cheapskate tuning for executive workers in office to believe lor.

this isnt my formula either, is experience shared among my friends who modded car, jinkl dun lcly lor, i know u plays turbo car, but are u an engineer buka tuning workshop ?

kakakakakakaka

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
all sifus,kindly advice
after using a Larger TB..can the ecu adapt and adjust the AirFuelRatio ? Can a fuel pressure regulator be sufficient to support this mod?
or is it NECESSARY to get a vafc?
I guess the best would be to get a larger intake manifold along with a larger Tb then add on a vafc and send for tuning?

thanks in advance.
depends what ecu u using and how big is ur oversize throttle body... if svdo, minor oversize still can be supported by oem ecu... mmc is abit stupid on the other hand, datz why need piggyback ecu....

vafc more for engines with variable cam timing... safc should be sufficient... since u got safc for tuning, get uprated injectors as well, jz incase if u run lean due to oversized TB..

Bump:
no wor, what is powerzone ? some cheapskate tuning for executive workers in office to believe lor.

this isnt my formula either, is experience shared among my friends who modded car, jinkl dun lcly lor, i know u plays turbo car, but are u an engineer buka tuning workshop ?

kakakakakakaka
ur friends automotive engineers open tuning workshop tell u all this secret recipe??...:hmmmm:

celicacultus

May 2, 2006
Like jinkl mention, it is important to match your TB's diameter to the plenum/collector's inlet.
Remember not to increase it too much, eg : 50mm diameter, increase to 60mm, is 40% increase in surface area. If all other components are stock then you will need to upgrade a lot of other things to compensate for the increase air intake.
I have increased my TB size slightly and i can feel better pull at lower revs and don't need to down shift where previously you'd need to.

jinkl

4,000 RPM
May 22, 2004
Kuala Lumpur

kakakakakakaka

i said like that because DonJuanDeMarco is powerzone executive ,errr hw could u tell they are cheapskate lolx, he gonna see this hehehhehehe

yeaps, u can visit my workshop anytime, and yes im an engineer
www.millennium.my and www.draxecu.com , u can visit me from both places anytime
thank u

Mar 21, 2008
oh yes ?

well, dont want to disturb your business-talk then :)

Wira_lover

Known Member
Jun 6, 2007
Bro/sis,

lets say if the oversize throttle body is 70mm and the intake inlet is 64mm...this step effect that was mentioned, will it be worse in term of performance to have a 65mm Throttle? or using 70mm throttle will still give you better performance with other side effects? will the back pressure cause any damage?

Wira_lover

Known Member
Jun 6, 2007
mmmm...

play with bigger tb u
need high lift cam,high rev,piggyback or s.alone..
Bro Don,

i understand that piggy or standalone is required to tune the AFR to avoid the machine to run lean and cause detonation.What does high rev mean? I don think High cams is a necessity if i wanna use a bigger TB.

the question i'm looking an answer for is if my intake is 64mm and my TB is 70mm, will the step effect cause any damage to my components?

In terms of performance...will it be better to use my TB which is 62mm(maybe bore to 64mm to match intake) or use a 70mm TB with a 64mm Intake(assuming i dont bore my intake).Which will be better?

Thank you for your time.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi Sifus,

My car bonnet was slightly dented from fallen object while parked under a tree :banghead:

I would like to know if there is any shop in KL or Ampang that can repair it without having to re-paint?

Thanks a lot
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience