New FTA expected to clear way for Proton, Perodua in U.S

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

alexz

500 RPM
03/19/2006

New free trade agreement expected to clear way for Proton, Perodua in U.S

With American buyers just beginning to wrap their heads around inexpensive Chinese cars coming to market, a new free trade agreement between Malaysia and the U.S. promises to add a few unfamiliar names to the likes of 'Geely' and 'Brilliance.' The pending FTA (expected to be approved next year) could double two-way trade between the U.S. and Malaysia by 2010, paving the way for auto companies like Perodua and Proton to find access to U.S. roads.
The agreement should likewise engender access to Malaysia’s marketplace for America’s domestic automakers.

[Source: The Associated Press via Forbes]

Wow does this mean that the americans can drive a proton or perodua next year?

alexz said:
The agreement should likewise engender access to Malaysia’s marketplace for America’s domestic automakers.

... and then we could be cruisin' on KL streets in a Chrysler 300C ? (man, i'm deeply in love with that car... )

a lil' off topic...

hey long time no hear from u bro...

alexz said:
Wow does this mean that the americans can drive a proton or perodua next year?

not to start another proton bashing, but if this does happen and they do not improve the quality soon, I can confidently say that our national cars would be made fun of, as bad or maybe worse than the korean cars.

wonder if the kancil would even meet the federalisation requirements.

ever been to american boards and see how they make fun of korean cars? it seems like the perfect choice for a pizza delivery car.

Last edited:
sounds funny to have proton and perodua drivable in US

4agze said:
sounds funny to have proton and perodua drivable in US

they've gotta be kidding..those two aren't even fit to be driven in a demolition derby!

Well, the Americans should be used to the cheap plastics found in Protons and Peroduas. American cars have the same thing. I do think they prefer bigger cars so the smallish cars we have don't quite work with them. And the engines aren't big enough.

Anyway, if the Chinese cars are making it, so should Proton and Perodua.

American cars are filled with cheap plastics. Australian cars i.e holden and ford are filled with cheap plastics.

At least in the US they have pizza delivery CARS instead of kapchais. Heck i've heard from my friend working in dubai that the despatch vehicle of choice there is the Honda Civic.

So in a nutshell what does this mean for us? More government subsidy used to sell Protons and Peroduas in the US for dirt cheap prices. The rakyat will continue to pay the price.

Last edited:
boggysv said:
not to start another proton bashing, but if this does happen and they do not improve the quality soon, I can confidently say that our national cars would be made fun of, as bad or maybe worse than the korean cars.

wonder if the kancil would even meet the federalisation requirements.

i'll say its good. years ago korean car were rediculed endlessly for their poor quality. They responded by improving & now to rank even higher then some american & japanese makes. It's still a long process but so as long a one is willing to receive critics to improve then i say good

The only problem is, while Proton has been mucking about and not improving much, the Koreans have moved forward by leaps and bounds.

question :-
can proton cars pass the american standard safety test ?
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration - NHTSA or any other standard US regulations ?
good luck to proton....

I had fair comments from some americans car magazine writers about the protons exterior looks (who were here on for the GP).

I wish proton well when they sort the internal problems. The possible tie-in with US delphi should pave way for better stuffs ahead .

i dun care if protons make it to the states..
i juz wanna noe are those big ass american cars coming~ hehehe..

hardly as diesel isnt popular in states (unlike europe)

Top Bottom