New Car Engine Care Advice

kelv!n

Known Member
Jul 28, 2006
Hi i'm not sure about whether this fact is really an actual fact or is just a plain myth.

and i'm not sure whether a not i'm suppose to post this up over here or this is a repeated thread a not. because i try searching it and i can't seem to find any thread regarding this issue.

ok so here goes, some of the people say's that when you have just purchase a new car, you shouldn't have drive above 80km/h(or less) before the first service for the car so that the owner can preserve the engine condition so that it will last longer and etc??

is this thing really true or is just plain myth or lies or marketing gimmick and etc??

do hope that some of you sifu here can clarify this for me. thanks

yeehau86

Helmet Clan
Feb 10, 2007
just drive as your need, there's no need to listen to the rumors / myth going on.

adlans

Known Member
Jan 26, 2006
AFAIK our car have been tested to the max while in the factory. So to me theres no harm in it since it is still under warranty. Anything happen, just go the SC to reclaim ur warranty.

cheers

bera

500 RPM
Oct 27, 2007
i think it is more about common sense...of coz you hear people say dont do this or please do that...but at the end of the day...a vehicle is just a vehicle...and by saying that...the way you drive and maintain it is the key...

carcrazy_sbs

Known Member
Oct 13, 2005
for me i just drive normal before 1k km....and seldom push too hard for it......but after 1k km, sometimes may rev till 5-6k....and i have seen how they treated a brand new SAGA BLM in proton factory....they just rev very hard and U-turn......i believe every car out from the factory alrdy been rev very hard .......
even a ferrari rev hard b4 it came out from the factory.....they have test drive in their own track for few laps and some winding road around their factory.....

Sep 24, 2006
I just recently bought a Perodua Myvi 1.3Ltr and the first 1000km i drive less than 90km/h as advised through the manual booklet.But is there any hram to the engine?For a long term,engine life would be shorter and raised upon fuel consumption.
One more thing,i heard somebody say you need to ram your car to the max during 0-1000km period.By then,the ECU may set your car at certain maximum speed that u already reach.

Correct me if im wrong:)

ravingill

500 RPM
May 29, 2006
Kuala Lumpur
www.facebook.com
ok guys its not a myth , its a fact. New engines take a while to get run in , usually about 1000km should do it , its because everything in the engine is new from pistons to camshaft to conrods and bearings. These things need time to build up some carbon around them and get well oiled up.

Like some people said , brand new cars already tested , not all are like Proton , rev kau kau and give customer a car , thats why no proton can last more then 150 000km without overhauling the engine in its lifetime.

Toyota deliver the car to customer with less then 50km on the odometer, my dads camry now only doing overhaul after 350 000km, see the difference, i have a proton , a honda , a toyota and 2 mercedes at home. The protons die first in any situation.

Well i guess best to stick to around 80km/h till u reach 1000km , if u wan to keep ur car for long time , keep the engine healthy from day 1.

Humans also same , why dun after baby born u play music loud loud , flash xenon light into their eye , give them eat mcdonald burger. Cannot ryt , organs need to get used to the environment first , it takes time. So ur engine also takes time to get lubed up.

Just my 2 cents dun flame me

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
ravingill,
yeah yr rite, i second that.....dont drive yr car more than 80km/h till after your 1st service, thats 5k kms....then after that only can drive above 100kmh.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I don't know about new cars but what about engine rebuilds? You got a new piston ring and it's a bloody tight fit in the cylinder. If you don't rev the bones out of it once the ring sets in that'll be the max you can go with that engine.

How do you explain a Altis 1.8 that runs minimally 120km per day because of daily travel feeling much more rev happy and light compared to the same car that just travels 50km a day from the shops back home and that's it?

And if you look up google, there are a lot of threads talking about the proper running in procedure for virgin engines and most don't talk about driving slow.

I could be wrong but having 2 myvis at home with one just being a pasar pagi runner vs one I take to work everyday, everyone says my daily workhorse is a better drive than the pasar runner.

Last edited:

Newbienissan

Banned
Jul 19, 2010
earth
Hi i'm not sure about whether this fact is really an actual fact or is just a plain myth.

and i'm not sure whether a not i'm suppose to post this up over here or this is a repeated thread a not. because i try searching it and i can't seem to find any thread regarding this issue.

ok so here goes, some of the people say's that when you have just purchase a new car, you shouldn't have drive above 80km/h(or less) before the first service for the car so that the owner can preserve the engine condition so that it will last longer and etc??

is this thing really true or is just plain myth or lies or marketing gimmick and etc??

do hope that some of you sifu here can clarify this for me. thanks
actually, is not running more than 80kmh or what, its about driving ur engine smooth, keep the rev below 4000rpm if u can. no hard banging on the throttle or high rev all the time. that's is. thats how most engine works. coz new engine might have defects since it just out the factory, u wouldnt know what could've went wrong during the installation progress in the factory. even expensive car have this possibilities.

PocketRocket

'(00) Mod'er
Helmet Clan
Nov 28, 2004
Up Yours
i only rev my car up after the 1st service because the engine oil that was already there is cheapo ones (for proton) after 2nd service, i saw they were using castrol something something and i pushed my car higher then beyond the 2nd service was my own mech with top quality oils. now 260k on the odo and have not done any overhaul to the engine. i gotta say, maintenance is a (female dog) but takes you long way.

congrats on your new car, i would advice to maintain your car in details. then you know whats really going on. be meticulous

i think they ask you not to rev your car before 1000km is because they want you to get used to the drivability first. would be a (female dog) if there was an accident before the 1st service right?

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

It’s not what you’re thinking, this isn’t the rumoured two-door baby Cayenne from Porsche but is the work of UK-based tuning firm Merdad. They let slip on the project back in September and now they have some real life shots of their Cayenne Coupe that debuted in London last month...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience