Need some advise on the engine oil

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

cypress8

1,000 RPM
Jul 11, 2004
Visit site
Hi all Sifus!

I just want to know which engine oil that you guys recommend for the 4G63T (evo2/evo3). Is 20/50W good enough? (I mean to reduce the 4G teppet sound.)

I apologize if this has been mentioned previously by the fellow zth members. Seriously need some advise, thank you very much.

regards.

Itab

500 RPM
Apr 14, 2004
Serdang
Visit site
the 4G teppet sound is it the sound of the valve kaki or something?goes like 'tat tat tat tat.....'
my GSR also got tht sound la,n they say its a normal trait on 4G engines la.
i was told to try using fully synthetic oil like mobil 1,maybe can reduce the sound,but so far i've not tried it b4,no money leh,expensive oh fully synthetic oil :lol:
anyway i'm using semi synthetic oil la,seems good enough as long as u change it often,every 3000-5000km.

cypress8

1,000 RPM
Jul 11, 2004
Visit site
Hi Itab and Vestax,

Thanks for the advise. What you guys think about Castrol Magnetec 10/40W and Motul 20/50W (Mineral)? Or any recomendation?

Thanks sifus!

regards. :D

Itab

500 RPM
Apr 14, 2004
Serdang
Visit site
i would recommend castrol magnetec 10W40 la,then add some additives to give your engine even more protection from frictions.
i personally prefer semi-synthetic oils over normal mineral oil,better grade mah,if got money,like i mentioned b4,can go for fully synthetic like mobil 1 or petronas synthium,then u can tell me the results lo,as i've nv use it on my gsr b4 :)
or if u realy have heaps of dough to spend,those really expensive engine oils like HKS one also should be really good lo,i think cost more than 200 bucks,correct me if i'm wrong la,not so sure about it either

Combustion

Apr 6, 2004
so far i've tried ... 10 40 is the most suitable ... i tried a thicker one b4 ... too thick the oil can't really reach the noisy area to stop the sound ...

cypress8

1,000 RPM
Jul 11, 2004
Visit site
All sifus,

Thanks for all the valueble info. Will get the Castrol Magnetec 10/40W tomorrow. Will share with you guys the result then.

regards.

Itab

500 RPM
Apr 14, 2004
Serdang
Visit site
hey is the teppet sound tht u were talking about the 'tak tak tak tak.....' sound from the engine?
i was told tht it is the noise made by the valves la,and its a common trait among 4G engines.is it true?

Itab

500 RPM
Apr 14, 2004
Serdang
Visit site
i see i see....thanks for photo
anyway,what are lash?what do they do?i'm not familiar with the term lash la,sorry for being a knowing nothing :lol: proves that i've got a lot to learn :)
well,that's the main purpose i'm here anyway,to learn more :)

cypress8

1,000 RPM
Jul 11, 2004
Visit site
Itab, yup that's the "tat-tat-tat" sound. Headache... I bet it happens to all the Mit 4G engines (such as 93, 63, etc), correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks to EzWong for posting the pic of the lash. Glad I'm in this website, man all the members are willing to share the knowledge! You guys are super cool!

regards. :D

ezwong2002

Known Member
Mar 21, 2004
Butterworth, Penang
www.geocities.com
alamak... if u ask me to explain.. i cannot la.. hahaha.. i just hear my mech explain.. i took the pictures.. thats it.. i forget what he said d... :lol: the lash doesn't come cheap... u'll need 16 of them.. cost around RM2K to have them all replaced.. but it will not guarentee that the 'tak tak' sound will be gone forever. It may come back after few months.. that's why no people bother changing it.. however if your engine is hot enuf and the sound persist.. u may consider changing it. cheers!

Itab

500 RPM
Apr 14, 2004
Serdang
Visit site
for mine,after warming up for a while its ok la....don intend to hange also la,asalkan engine don makan engine oil,still churning out the power tht i need,hehee,don care la
its a distinctive sound for 4G engines afterall wat rite?hahaha...kinda like a trademark like tht :P

evo3

1,500 RPM
Jul 2, 2004
Visit site
heheh..that the trademark sound of 4G engines..hehehe..mine 4G63T also have this type of tak tak sound until my mechanic ask me to change the engine oil to thicker one. So i change to Castrol RS and voila! it solve the problem.... :P :D

Combustion

Apr 6, 2004
Castrol RS is what rating? If really need to change, no need to change all 16 right? Which one is weak then just change the weak ones lo ....

but no matter how also got a "little bit" one la .. cannot be totally sound less ... as long as u cannot hear it when the bonnet is closed than ok la ...

i think if u go and open bonnet, and listen up close, anytime also sure got ...

Esky

Known Member
Nov 27, 2003
Hv heard from a fren that actually there's a tool that can adjust these hydraulic tappes, but then it's a lot of work and selling u 16 new ones is easier!

A shop in Jln Tangki Air in JB can do this, I mean the adjusting.

PRO|ancer[GSR]

Known Member
May 4, 2004
JB
Visit site
guys, mine even the engine is warmed up, it still has the annoying sound coming out from the bonnet. Not just when the engine is cool (early in the morning).

boboi,
how much is the endless semi-synt cost? have u tried b4?

anyone here can share what brand of engine oil u r using, the price & how was it?

Cheers, 4G members ;)

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

i am planning to get a zerotohundred sticker for car full body part ...
anyone can help ?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience