Need advise..! Will downshifting without revving up the RPM spoil any part of my car?

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
u mean heel-toe braking arr??.... yeah, must practice alot to get the right rpm to release the clutch pedal..... if not ur car will jerk....

gohkokeng

2,000 RPM
Feb 21, 2006
easy and simple solution

BRAKE la dey hahaha.....brake until the suitable speed for Gear3 only engage Gear3

sakuraguy

5,000 RPM
Nov 4, 2004
Sendai, JAPAN.
www.zerotohundred.com
"like 5th gear to 3rd gear" .. are u crazy skipping a gear downshifting from 5 to 3? ... u are damaging ure gearbox. Its not advisable to skip a gearing position to downshift or upshift. Most commonly, skipping a gearing position when upshifting wont affect anything, just a bit vibrate on engine bay when u floor back the throttle.

Downshifting without revving engine is normal and wont affect anything, make sure u dont skip gears when downshifting. Shift down from 5 to 4 and not 5 to 3!.

You shouldn't use the engine to brake aggressively for at least two reasons:
1. You can lock the rear and skid --> control challenges,
2. Transmissions are much more expensive to replace than brakepads.

Why do we want to learn to heel toe downshift?

Quick answer - smoothness, stability, stay in gear.

You've all let the clutch out in 2nd at too high of speed right? Jerks the car forward, whine of syncros = not smooth. You can power through a corner faster then you can coast through it plus you have WAY more stability.
Impress your friends - looks cool as hell

Example: Ever tried to make a fast power maneuver after braking?? Clutch & brake is in - who knows what gear your in. Suddenly a shopping cart is coming right for your car. You need to make a quick transition from braking to getting out of the way of the cart! If you learned the "two feet in" while braking (like myself) you will have a hard time finding a gear in 1/2 a second. Grind - clutch out - maybe make it in time with some bucking? With heel toe - you are always in gear. but for a brief half second while shifting. This has made a noticeable difference for me driving a manual in traffic, and has saved my ass once or twice.

Revmatching. or Throttle blip.

The fundamentals behind a successful heel toe downshift begin with KNOWING how high to rev the car before down shifting.
1. You are in 3rd gear at 3000RPM's you want to shift into 2nd. How high do you need to bring the revs up to make a smooth transition into 2nd?
OR - I'll ask it another way to clarify.
2. You are in 3rd gear at 3000RPM's you clutch in, shift to 2nd, and let out the clutch. The whine of the transmission is heard. How high will the revs go?

The answer to questions 1 and 2 are the same. 4200RPM's Give or take a little - based on transmission.

nitrus

2,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2005
sakuraguy , thanks for the long reply!! interesting to read .... but bro, MAYBE u got me wrong, or i explained it wrong .... my downshifting actually isnt to brake (or maybe its not called downshifting?) ... i actually wanna speed up to overtake, if i downshift from 5th -> 4th gear i'll loose some power already right? it'll be laggy ... So at higher RPM on 3rd gear to pick up is better right...?

So thats why i wanna know what is that sound i'm hearing, n whether "downshifting" n picking up WITHOUT blipping the throttle is a bad thing, n thus, creating that "eek" sound ..

I think u are trying to explain it to me here already... am i right?

1. You are in 3rd gear at 3000RPM's you want to shift into 2nd. How high do you need to bring the revs up to make a smooth transition into 2nd?
OR - I'll ask it another way to clarify.
2. You are in 3rd gear at 3000RPM's you clutch in, shift to 2nd, and let out the clutch. The whine of the transmission is heard. How high will the revs go?
So it is very very advisable to "blip the throttle" to a suitable rev before "downshifting" , right? To prolong clutch and syncro life, like rollakid said..?

Joeker

Walking Dead
Nov 19, 2003
Jinjang
Visit site
In the first place, why do you want to downshift from 5th to 3rd gear?

I'm no track driver but I belive in track driving, decelerating before an apex requires smooth transition of vehicle speed deceleration.

If you decelerate abruptly, you will upset the car's balance and lose tyre grip or spin out.

downshifting at hi speed is engine braking (you slow your car down either with your wheel brakes or engine brake, thats the reason why we are taught to use low gear during downhill). Engine braking puts alot of stress on the drivetrain.

Your syncro die faster, your timing belt risk snapping (if its in pooor condition) and you fry your clutch.

nitrus

2,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2005
Serious shit............ Damn weih. Then i better stop doing that la ....

But then if i'm not supposed to go from 5th gear to 3rd gear for picking up speed, please advise what other method/way should i use?

Takkan i shift down to 4th gear n full throttle ? It still won't beat another car who goes to a lower gear with a higher rev to full throttle ... Right? Or am i wrong..? Sigh.. Confusing.

How ar? Any other ways for picking up faster during high speeds? Thanks for the advise experienced ones..

gohkokeng

2,000 RPM
Feb 21, 2006
bro nitrus how come your 'down shifting problem' got problem 1?

me also over-taking by just shift to Gear3 from Gear4 or Gear5 or even Free gear (down hill)........nothing happen like grinding cluth place or what wo no sound eh.

when engage Gear3 that time release clucth pedal got a bit PULLING EFFECT la but rev faster once release clucth pedal....should be ok....no PULLING effect.

sometimes really tulan.....1 lane front car answering Hand Phone......behind all line up like convoying lol......then shift Gear3 terus potong

nitrus

2,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2005
gohkokeng said:
when engage Gear3 that time release clucth pedal got a bit PULLING EFFECT la but rev faster once release clucth pedal....should be ok....no PULLING effect.
may i know how did u release ur clutch pedal? the slowly nicely kind, or terus let go clutch ?

coz i terus let go clutch n accelerate kind ... maybe thats why... think it is bad. haih, habit ady now i always dump the clutch wan trying to shift faster...

gohkokeng

2,000 RPM
Feb 21, 2006
engage gear3 straight completely release clutch pedal at once and press gas pedal liao......

just like done everything in 1 second (step clutch, shift gear3, completely release clutch pedal and floor gas pedal)

if u slowly release the clutch pedal, kan the pulling effect pull all your speed down?

sakuraguy

5,000 RPM
Nov 4, 2004
Sendai, JAPAN.
www.zerotohundred.com
At first i was stucked and often "crack" my gearbox .. but often practice during driving makes "blipping" throttle with right heel toe and left-foot braking makes me easy .. now .. my daily drive is this method :)

nitrus

2,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2005
So blipping the throttle before downshifting is a better way as to not spoil/damage any parts...?

Better make it a habit then .. .hehehee..

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Damn!! not my day all... an hour ago, my car was broken in at subang lake... when i went for a jog... lost my handphone and RM200 bucks.... but lucky that fellow leave my wallet back...

damn, if only i caught the fellow in action... diu la... i would have wacked him with all the anger and energy i have now!! bugger!! ma hai... tiu nya sing....!! cibai .. ham ka chan !!

damn nice la... Hari Raya present for me.. handphone and money lost!!....

btw, if any of u got any information about the...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience