Hello Guest! Log in or Sign up for a full experience & ad-free!

my car overheats!

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

N/A secret

Known Member
to all sifus and friends...i wanna ask about my car problem...my car recently will overheat if being drove too long...i went to a workshop and consult the mechanic..after done checking he said ur head gasket is "bengkok" thats why we need to skim it...he said it cost rm400 is it worth?

additional question: if i ignore it for awhile until i get my money would my car have any serious consequenses? thanks in advance!:adore:

you don't skim head gaskets.. you throw it out and replace it. the mechanic is an idiot. avoid at all costs.

There is no way u can skim a head gasket. If the head gasket is deformed or broken, u replaced it. In your case, definitely your head gasket is either deformed or broken causing the water to leak out during combustion. U can delay the repair or replace the head gasket later but u will be taking risk of having the face your engine block or head deformed as well if u aren't careful and the engine overheats(that is if either haven't deformed yet) . If the face of engine block deformed, U'll need to spend more for total engine overhaul instead of just top overhaul and that will cost u more. Make sure u check the water in the radiator daily and stop the car when the temperature start to rise during long journey drive. Don't ever let the needle reach the red.

you don't skim head gaskets.. you throw it out and replace it. the mechanic is an idiot. avoid at all costs.

hahahahahhaahhahahah! nice one dude..

---------- Post added at 01:42 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:41 AM ----------

There is no way u can skim a head gasket. If the head gasket is deformed or broken, u replaced it. In your case, definitely your head gasket is either deformed or broken causing the water to leak out during combustion. U can delay the repair or replace the head gasket later but u will be taking risk of having the face your engine block or head deformed as well if u aren't careful and the engine overheats(that is if either haven't deformed yet) . If the face of engine block deformed, U'll need to spend more for total engine overhaul instead of just top overhaul and that will cost u more. Make sure u check the water in the radiator daily and stop the car when the temperature start to rise during long journey drive. Don't ever let the needle reach the red.

thank you so much bro for the brief explaination:adore: yeah going to fix it right away..can i use different head gasket like 4g93?:driver:

Yes you are right Jac,

My fren prolong used in such a way.....

End of the day, his engine block cracked!

Got to change the engine block...

Whoooo.... CO$TLY !:bawling:

Overheat can be due to several things, not necessarily bent cylinder head! (I'm sure the mechanic should have meant the head, not the head gasket).
It can be due to:
- Radiator cap is already weak.
- Thermostat already not opening fully,
- Cooling channels (especially radiator) already got blockages,
- Cooling motor fans and/or extra fan not working normal anymore (dead or too slow),
So make sure you check that all those things are working properly before coming to a conclusion that the head is bent. Repairing the above are much easier and cheaper than repairing cylinder head. For me, one principle I always try to use when diagnosing car problem is start with the simplest and cheapest first. Head is bent also usually is the result of already bad overheating problem, not the cause. Mechanics also most of the time will try to scam you into forging out more money for them, so don't trust everything they say.

If you don't have problem with your cooling system. Just those mentioned by 6UE5T. Try add extra auxilliary fan infront of your radiator. Turn it on only if in traffic or engine start to overheat.

You can also identify if your have leak in yoiur cylinderhead gasket by using "leak test". They use high air pressure injected on spark plug hole then monitor their pressure gauge or trace the sound of air leak on oil dip stick tube.

Last edited:
Malaysia labor cheap compared to overseas. Just open the head and all truth will be revealed.

try check the radiator cap, if broken then replace a new one...if dunno, ask a fren to help u bout this

and before i further...wat car is that?

skim your engine head is the last resort....
check your fans, add relay if needed, radiator cap make sure its the right bar, water pump working, belting, flush your radiator & add toyota coolant, check any leaking hoses.....

just out of curiosity .. how many have machined a head before as a result of overheat?

Yes you are right Jac,

My fren prolong used in such a way.....

End of the day, his engine block cracked!

Got to change the engine block...

Whoooo.... CO$TLY !:bawling:

dang~i have to fix it ASAP!

---------- Post added at 01:40 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:39 PM ----------

Overheat can be due to several things, not necessarily bent cylinder head! (I'm sure the mechanic should have meant the head, not the head gasket).
It can be due to:
- Radiator cap is already weak.
- Thermostat already not opening fully,
- Cooling channels (especially radiator) already got blockages,
- Cooling motor fans and/or extra fan not working normal anymore (dead or too slow),
So make sure you check that all those things are working properly before coming to a conclusion that the head is bent. Repairing the above are much easier and cheaper than repairing cylinder head. For me, one principle I always try to use when diagnosing car problem is start with the simplest and cheapest first. Head is bent also usually is the result of already bad overheating problem, not the cause. Mechanics also most of the time will try to scam you into forging out more money for them, so don't trust everything they say.

thanks bro, yeah i will do the cheap ones first..if its still the same then i use the final options.:banghead:

---------- Post added at 01:40 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:40 PM ----------

If you don't have problem with your cooling system. Just those mentioned by 6UE5T. Try add extra auxilliary fan infront of your radiator. Turn it on only if in traffic or engine start to overheat.

You can also identify if your have leak in yoiur cylinderhead gasket by using "leak test". They use high air pressure injected on spark plug hole then monitor their pressure gauge or trace the sound of air leak on oil dip stick tube.

thanks bro!:driver:

---------- Post added at 01:41 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:40 PM ----------

try check the radiator cap, if broken then replace a new one...if dunno, ask a fren to help u bout this

and before i further...wat car is that?

haha okay bro...its a wira 1.6 4g92p bro..:rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 01:43 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:41 PM ----------

skim your engine head is the last resort....
check your fans, add relay if needed, radiator cap make sure its the right bar, water pump working, belting, flush your radiator & add toyota coolant, check any leaking hoses.....

i think my car ever overheats twice...i think the head got probs bro,..:banghead:

my car overheat many times edi bro...but have not skim/grind my engine head so far...
just ensure your hoses are not clogged, flush your radiator at least once every 3 mths, use red coolant with mineral water.
always monitor your engine temp from time to time.

my car overheat many times edi bro...but have not skim/grind my engine head so far...
just ensure your hoses are not clogged, flush your radiator at least once every 3 mths, use red coolant with mineral water.
always monitor your engine temp from time to time.

okay bro, great advice from you yeehaaa!:adore:

Mine overheated once only(my definition of overheat is the needle reaches the very end of red) and that caused me a total overhaul(head gasket broken, face of engine block and head deformed slightly so skimming is required) in return cost me an arm lol. But my engine is a honda(sensitive to heat) b20b. If u are lucky with just broken head gasket, no skimming required, then u might get away with just top overhaul, cost less than 1k. Another simptom to know whether u got a blown head gasket before or not is the water in your radiator will keep on getting lesser while the water in your reserve tank is slowly filling up instead. Check it out. If yours is as i describled here, then 99% certain your head gasket blown dy.

i think my car ever overheats twice...i think the head got probs bro,..:banghead:

If the overheating was bad, probably cylinder head is warp, therefore you will require to skim it, but it depends how much will be taken off. If going to be a lot, better change it. If only a little then okay, probably can add thicker metal gasket to compensate back the compression ratio. If compression becomes too high, engine will knock or may have to use Ron 97 which is RM3 per liter now.....:banghead:

Hi all,No worry this is normal issue so i want to suggest that There is no way u can skim a head gasket. If the head gasket is deformed or broken, u replaced it. In your case, definitely your head gasket is either deformed or broken causing the water to leak out during combustion.

honda lift kits

Last edited:
head gasket bengkok?? cannot be!!!
ur mechanic told u cylinder head bengkok izit?
hahaha , wat a stupid mechanic
if ur car cylinder head bengkok sure ur engine oil and coolant will mix together.

Ask the mechanic how he is goin to skim the gasket. Reli wanna see :hmmmm:

Top Bottom