knocking noise on engine

evoX2

May 11, 2005
KCH

My engine got 'tak tak tak' some sort of knocking noise, may i know what is the problem. Some mech said is the valve, how true is it?

SimonsayZ

Dec 27, 2004
I also have this sound. Mine happen during cold start. But after warm up the sound is less obvious. Can hear it but less when its warmed up. Btw, mine is B16a. Any solutions to this problem?

evoX2

May 11, 2005
KCH
The noise is always there, no matter cold or warm....

btw, what the rough estimate for the valve? SOHC Vtec 12 or 16 valve?

sPoOn3838

Nov 14, 2005
no worry guys that valve sound wont effect your car power or anything!

evoX2

May 11, 2005
KCH
sPoOn3838 said:
no worry guys that valve sound wont effect your car power or anything!
but the sound is so irritating...like a tuktuk :confused_smile:

krusell

Mar 31, 2006
ask the mech to set back the clearance gap....the sound shall be gone.:shades_smile: :shades_smile:

hattech-v

Oct 10, 2004
Seri Kembangan
www.avantech.com.my
if the sound come during idling it most probably ur plunger or LMA (lost motion assembly) - like absorber to absorb the vtec lobe motion.

but if the sound come out like when u try not to downshift gear when passing bumper, i think its normal.
but if happen during normal driving, try to retard a bit ur base ignition timing (set on ur distributor).

knocking actually is not the sound of valve knocking the piston...

the definition of the knocking is,

Knocking (also called pinking or pinging)—technically detonation—in internal combustion engines occurs when fuel/air mixture in the cylinder has been ignited by the spark plug and the smooth burning is interrupted by the unburned mixture in the combustion chamber exploding before the flame front can reach it. Combusting stops suddenly, because of the explosion, before the optimum moment of the four-stroke cycle. The resulting shockwave reverberates in the combustion chamber and pressures increase catastrophically, creating a characteristic metallic "pinging" sound. ...

SimonsayZ

Dec 27, 2004
SO this sound is no problem? Mine is during cold start got sound then after that the sound is less but honestly, my engine does sound like a taxi when idle...:confused_smile: I never knew B16a sounded like a taxi engine..It's funny.

jajan

Apr 28, 2005
if soound like teksi..then ask pomen to check tappad?.. i dun it before...after pomen adjust it ... the sound gone.. its a normal sound u will get with old car...ehehehe

TODA

May 20, 2005
downtheroad
dude its normal,..........vtecs all liddat..........tak tak tak.....tek tek tek

its the rattlesnake inside ur vtec, unleash it till redline, then it will b gone
heeeehheee........once in a while must let imagination go wild abit

back to topic, hattech V provided god info, though could b also due 2 tappet adjustment

all in all nth 2 worry much.... my engine rattling till ppl run away but im used 2 it then i try diff engine oils - after trying all, last one i stick 2 is Q8 semi-syn(not promoting here but its true) the noise reduced so much....ahhh

Can someone tell me where can I get this manual book or guide book on net? Or someone have it can post it here or send it to me? I need it urgent. Thank.