JB New Section........ Part 4.....

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search
Oscar,
There are cars lower then stock s15's going in and out often.. No issues..

yup loh,i always see S15 in and out sg thru CIA Johor without problem...
buy S15,then can drift on the way go and back to sg.....:adore::adore:

oscar,
satria neo you need 20" rim to be in order to clear the speed hump at custom. Thats why u see only buses and lorries going thru custom but not car. Even i myself driving Pajero only can clear.

Last month during D1 GP at spore, those drifter sangkut at custom. create big hoohaa scene. masuk newspaper and TV. End up custom need to use helicopter lift those car up and lay extra layer of concrete to be in order to clear them. Then after that, they remove the concrete back to original state.

So many times i saw porsche, ferrari and 350z, they sangkut their car there like see saw, then owner come out of the car crying while doing this action on the floor :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: particulary this lotus eclipse driver, everyday doing so

Hahahaha... I pity.. the car's sangkut untill like see saw... HAHAHAH...:rofl::rofl::rofl:

ooi ooi~,just now say can go through ,now Normality78 say sangkut,coolval & skylee834 long time din go in singapore le?the new CIQ speed hump damn high when goin out & in le...any big foot for sale..lol

Normality,got news abt sangkut in JB custom meh?din c any le..

damn.....i thought i was blur......:hmmmm::hmmmm::hmmmm:

Bump: damn.....i thought i was blur......:hmmmm::hmmmm::hmmmm:

ROFL.............

Tonight TT!!!! yeah man.........................

oh and yeah... frank's pajero alraedy modded kau kau liek those off roaders... my dad's xtrail also sangkut.... i need to go down of the car to put some "shim" (j-fu's pronounciation) to clear the speed humps..... i think i also saw scramblers sangkut also..

yeah la... suaku la u all.... nvr go sillypore be4.

oscar,
i dont think there is any news online achieve for months, the most 1 week only. easy la, u go get another s15 thn go sangkut there la, then can see in news already lo... better still, you're in the news....

Keon,
i didnt read all but here you have it

This guide is to familiarize you with valve shims for adjusting camshaft-to-follower ("bucket") clearance. Various overhead-camshaft car and motorcycle engines use select-fit, hardened steel shims between the camshaft and the valve to adjust the valve clearance. These shims are of various diameters and thicknesses, but if care is taken, they can be interchanged between cars and motorcycles, even between and among different brands of vehicles.

Please do not confuse shims meant for adjusting valve-to-camshaft clearance with valve spring shims meant to adjust the installed height of valve springs. Each kind of shim does it's specific job, but both tend to be called "valve shims". Valve spring shims are not covered in this guide.

Shims are "select fit" based on the amount of valve clearance desired vs. the amount of clearance that already exists. If, for example, you want .004 clearance, but you actually have .006 clearance, you'd select a shim that is .002 thicker than what is in place already. Not all the shims in an engine are the same thickness, so you must measure each one individually if the thickness is not printed on the shim. Therefore, an engine may have a dozen different thicknesses of shims already in place in order to provide the same, correct, clearance between camshaft and bucket. This means that if you have an engine needing valve clearance correction, you might get lucky in that the shim you remove from one valve may be exactly what is needed on another.

This is where things get interesting: Let's say you own an older Honda motorcycle, your best friend owns a certain older Toyota car, and your flashy brother-in-law has a Triumph motorcycle. You could arrange to adjust the valve clearance on all three vehicles on the same day, and perhaps use the shims removed from the Toyota to correct the Triumph, and the shims from either to adjust your Honda. Another possibility is to bid on shims listed in an eBay auction for Kawasaki parts in order to adjust your Suzuki. Please note that you MUST BE CAREFUL when doing this, it's easy to get the wrong kind of shim because every manufacturer seems to use several different styles of shims depending on the engine family and the year of production.

Another important dimension is the diameter of the shim. Large-diameter shims are installed on top of the bucket that covers the valve and valve spring assembly. (Shim Over Bucket, or SOB.) The camshaft acts directly on the shim, which transfers the motion to the bucket, and then to the valve stem. It is possible that the action of the camshaft wiping across the shim, in conjunction with excessive RPM, could cause the shim to be "spit out" of the bucket, causing damage to the engine. Since the camshaft wipes across the shim, it is possible (but rare) for the shim to become worn. In normal use, the shims are so hard as to be more-or-less "wear proof" and can be re-used without problem. An advantage to SOB style valve adjustment is that the shims can usually be changed with the camshaft in place using some variety of special tools to slightly compress the valve springs, and then the shims are pried up with a small screwdriver and removed with a magnet. They are replaced in a similar manner. I get upset if I have to pay more than $8 for a new, common SOB shim, but I've heard of them selling for $10--$14 each, brand new at dealerships. It's all about supply and demand...

Small-diameter shims are used between the valve and the bucket. (Shim Under Bucket, or SUB) These shims are lighter weight for greater RPM potential, and they cannot be "spit out" by the action of the camshaft wiping across the top of the bucket. The problem with SUB is that the camshaft(s) and the buckets must be removed in order to access the shims. This is MUCH more labor-intensive, and could lead to improper cam timing and engine damage if the camshaft(s) aren't put back in proper time with the crankshaft. SUB shims tend to be less expensive than SOB shims, to the point where I've seen them sold for as little as 60 cents each, in large bulk assortments. Small groups, or individual shims would be significantly more expensive, of course.

As you have figured out by now, you must match both the diameter of the shim (so it fits your engine family) and the thickness of the shim (so it provides the proper clearance.) You cannot just buy random-sized shims and expect them to be "correct". Shims are nearly always described with metric measurements, I recommend you use a metric micrometer to measure them rather than an "inch" micrometer and then converting to metric on a calculator. If the diameter and the thickness is correct for your application, the engine won't know if the shim was made by Honda or Yamaha or Toyota, and you can use whichever brand is least expensive or most readily available.

http://zoubiando.com/valveshim.htm

Last edited:
JB gang session 3....

namelist:

1. alex962; tampoi area; 012-73402188
2. ashween; tmn molek; 016711 5583
3. badguy; tmn pelangi; 016-739 7730
4. basil; tmn perling; 012-704 3123
5. calvin9683; tmn pelangi indah; 012-757 9249
6. derek; tmn tun aminah; 016-722 2712
7. domezero; tmn perling; 012-721 0788
8. jvoltz; tmn jhr jaya; 019-717 1181
9. kean; larkin; 016-756 8383
10. kenneth; tmn sentosa; 016-717 1330
11. keon; tmn pelangi; 012-712 9066
12. normality78; tmn molek; 012-795 2223
13. persis; tmn pelangi; 012-722 6090
14. civic 0.5 bar; bukit indah; 012-716 2277
15. mazda16; tmn perling; 012-773 4665
16. gooseman; gelang patah;
17. ramanesh; tampoi area; 012-757 8945
18. tykiasu @ Terrance; permas jaya; 016-742 3299
20. cricket @ coolval; Tmn Pelangi ; 016-773 0339
21.nas85-bandar baru uda-019-7453500/017-7717904

Please Add on.....

HYe all johorian,
getting shocked my name still there with old number.........hehehehe.
nvrmnd But now i at Aberdeen,Scotland for training 2 yrs
See u guys for next year....

frank/ash/keon...
i finally know wat u guys r talking abt at TT just now....
fuckin speechless man!!!!

oscar....
i suggest u to get a copy of motor trader/buying & selling la....
then u know wat's the car price like in malaysia n wat kindda car u can buy wif ur budget....
at the same time...i strongly suggest u to go CIQ n have a survey there personally....
sigh.....

bro own....
those ppl fuck up ur engine n never giv u a solution???
tow the car out n forget bout paying them a single cent la....
talking abt evo...my bro there got evo3 n evo2 halfcut...
wan me help u ask???

frank n ash....
i guess i better dun go other thread n post la....
post a bit stuff oso kene both of u kutuk....
when did i become a shooting board ar???
lol....

wah... frank damn fast.... ahhaha...

frank,

Shims are "select fit" based on the amount of valve clearance desired vs. the amount of clearance that already exists. If, for example, you want .004 clearance, but you actually have .006 clearance, you'd select a shim that is .002 thicker than what is in place already.

so, what i guessed initially was correct. IT is to adjust the valve clearance height rather than supporting the valve stems.

FRANK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HV won't be having the Touge Battle at the normal place anyjmore.... fark man......

we had trouble getting through the customs.....bump too high....wait for helicopter come lift the car....now only reach home.......good night

Calvin9863,
oscar...
i suggest u to get a copy of motor trader/buying & selling la....
then u know wat's the car price like in malaysia n wat kindda car u can buy wif ur budget....
at the same time...i strongly suggest u to go CIQ n have a survey there personally....
sigh.....

no need to buy magazine lo,i cek their website almost everyday,lol..dun say I siao,k...tat day take taxi back to singapore,downwards 1 damn high hump,after custom another high long hump when exiting the place.saw a lot of scratches on the hump..see alreadi also sweats.

Last edited:

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom