Is LCD Tv really clearer than old CTV??

zac

1,000 RPM
Feb 7, 2007
Johor Bahru
I have been wondering this question for quite sometime... i bought a philips lcd when it's first launched and it's kinda blur while watching dvd, i thought perhaps it's cheaper model... then i purchased sharp lcd full HD, watch ori dvd with hdmi cable STILL.. so so only leh... motion not really that smooth like those demo video for displaying...

My old CTV coupled with china-made dvd picture is much nicer... Am i the only one who feel so? Are we being cheated by sony,sharp,philips & etc??

Civic-R

500 RPM
Oct 8, 2004
Earth
Visit site
Bro, LCD or Liquid Crystal Display (if i'm not mistaken) is meant for watching full HD movies, paired wit HDMI cable. VCD is old technology. The prob is not ur LCD display but is the content of ur media tat doesn't support tat high resolutions, which is ur VCD.

XTEC

500 RPM
Dec 2, 2007
Bro, LCD or Liquid Crystal Display (if i'm not mistaken) is meant for watching full HD movies, paired wit HDMI cable. VCD is old technology. The prob is not ur LCD display but is the content of ur media tat doesn't support tat high resolutions, which is ur VCD.
agree, u can test it buy ori dvd or original pirated dvd to test. :rofl:

zac

1,000 RPM
Feb 7, 2007
Johor Bahru
Bros... check the article nicely lah wei... i tried full hd+ori dvd+hdmi and the result is so so... VCD this term was never mentioned in my posting lah wei~~:banghead:

XTEC

500 RPM
Dec 2, 2007
LED full hd + blue rays = lagi syiok & pocket even more syiok :rofl::rofl:

netmatrix

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
P Jaya:Malaysia
kh_tan.tripod.com
I have been wondering this question for quite sometime... i bought a philips lcd when it's first launched and it's kinda blur while watching dvd, i thought perhaps it's cheaper model... then i purchased sharp lcd full HD, watch ori dvd with hdmi cable STILL.. so so only leh... motion not really that smooth like those demo video for displaying...

My old CTV coupled with china-made dvd picture is much nicer... Am i the only one who feel so? Are we being cheated by sony,sharp,philips & etc??
You should look at internet reviews. Firstly, those demo DVD's are made specifically to enhace images for that particular make. If you put a Sony in a Samsung one, it would not look nice. A lot of complaints have been made against these companies on this.

On your LCD DVD combo not clear. I understand what you are saying. Its like the people who move seems to be phasing and seems slow mo. I have seen this problem on a lot of demo LCD tvs. And people seem not to notice. I wonder if i got good eyes or bad eyes? Maybe there are some settings to change to improve the picture? How many xxxHz frequency is your LCD tv capable of?

zac

1,000 RPM
Feb 7, 2007
Johor Bahru
Yeah, you get what i mean right... i used blueray better result but the money spent is really not worth it... As for frequency, i think is 200, maybe i'm wrong... where to check? i took out all sticker liao...

The latest LED TV seems nicer than LCD, but look at the price... can get 2nd hand wira already...

netmatrix

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
P Jaya:Malaysia
kh_tan.tripod.com
Agree the latest LED tv is way much better at reproducing moving pictures. But till now, i still see a lot of LCD TV with this phasing problem. I have searched some sites concerning this, and can only sum up that the operating refresh Hertz is the one to blame. The newer ones at 100Hz doesn't seem to be a problem. I think the old ones running at 75Hz. The contrast ratio not that much of a problem though. Maybe you could try to use those analog RCA cable to see if the problem persist? I suspect digital video signals between TV and player is not correct somehow.

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
LCD is really affordable now. Zac I think you can set the refresh rate higher to see if it's better. I have a 21 inch Samsung LCD for my home PC and I watch Ori DVD quite clear also. When I put it on my 42inch Samsung plasma with HDMI cable it will be more clearer.

I did go and see some LCD before I got the Plasma. From my finding, I found that LCD will have good and sharp image when the screen is small and for still image. Plasma is more suitable for big screen. I wonder if projector will be good since the size of the screen depends on the wall....

PocketRocket

'(00) Mod'er
Helmet Clan
Nov 28, 2004
Up Yours
LED tv is the way to go....
LCD is designed more for cartoon like pixar n animations(digital signal)
Plasma is designed more for general use like Astro(analog signal)

the key to good picture is the processing engine n movement. the lesser the movement judder the smoother ur picture flow

both LCD n Plasma got 60,000hrs lifespan.

diff between a Plasma n a LCD is the screen negative effects of long term(hours) use.

Plasma - burn mark like crt tv's if detected early stage, off tv for 24 - 48hrs for the burn mark to subside.
LCD - dead pixel, this one, if u can live with it go ahead. but if too many dead pixel n cannot tahan its non-repairable n dump it

Giraffe HDMI is reckoned as minimum standard, wand higher can buy Kimber Kable :biggrin:

did i stick to topic? i felt like a salesman edi

zac

1,000 RPM
Feb 7, 2007
Johor Bahru
Net, TR & PR, you guys are really knowledgeable leh... and yes you do sounded like sales man, just print out this page bring it to best denki hr office and i believe you will be the chosen one.. hohoho...

Ok, back to topic, plasma tv price is slightly lower than lcd, i thought it's a outdated tech and never think abt it, but looks like it performs well, i will source for one then.

Thought abt projector as well, but my sis said it's len & bulb has short life span and very costly to be replaced.

Last question, in order to maximise it's performance, shall i buy all device under same brand? like LG dvd + LG plasma?? or no difference?

mingz

1,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2007
Zac,borrow your thread kejap...hehe...

guys,i plan to buy 50" plasma...but duno choose wat brand...how bout panasonic?

i plan ONLY to watch DVD or bluray in future with this TV.....izit suitable?

maybe i'll go for 52" or 56"...

XTEC

500 RPM
Dec 2, 2007
ming if the price aren't much different go for bigger size one comfirn suitable....
panasonic is ok, but before u buy any brand try to look the lcd/plasma on side view see whether is clear or not. good quality lcd/plasma should be clear either from front or side view..also look for edge for lcd/plasma screen when they show same video/demo are they the same sized?

i did compare few brand , i notice hitachi are better to project out the edge size for left & right.