I got bored...

defcon1

500 RPM
...so my 3rd brake light is now LED!... :laugh:

Was too easy. I had a sample of a Proton Wira rear wing 3rd brake light. So, I took it apart, unravelled the circuit diagram, basically 1 resistor in line with each 4 LED's. LED's were from a good manufacturer in Taiwan, and utilized, what I suspect, were Lumileds LED dies in their manufacture (you'll have to take my word for it, I know LED's).

Anyway, I cut the circuit board up (needed 2 strips to fit my original 3rd brake light housing), mounted the boards on a strip of plastic with a hot glue gun, hard wired the cut up boards together and connected the power supply, re-assembled, and now I have a 3rd brake light (original housing) with an array of 40 high brightness 5mm LED's inside... :smile:

And...unlike the Proton, these will not burn out. The ones on the Proton do burn out cos 5mm LED's are particularly succeptible to moisture...which, since I fixed the leak behind the AC blower, is almost non-existent in the car... :smile:

Now...I do remember having some cool cathode tubes somewhere in the house...thinking of under-dash lights, but will need to know where the damn door switch wire is...

In a weird way, i felt that Defcon1 is trying to "con" us when telling us that he always lack of time :biggrin:

...so my 3rd brake light is now LED!... :laugh:

Was too easy. I had a sample of a Proton Wira rear wing 3rd brake light. So, I took it apart, unravelled the circuit diagram, basically 1 resistor in line with each 4 LED's. LED's were from a good manufacturer in Taiwan, and utilized, what I suspect, were Lumileds LED dies in their manufacture (you'll have to take my word for it, I know LED's).

Anyway, I cut the circuit board up (needed 2 strips to fit my original 3rd brake light housing), mounted the boards on a strip of plastic with a hot glue gun, hard wired the cut up boards together and connected the power supply, re-assembled, and now I have a 3rd brake light (original housing) with an array of 40 high brightness 5mm LED's inside... :smile:

And...unlike the Proton, these will not burn out. The ones on the Proton do burn out cos 5mm LED's are particularly succeptible to moisture...which, since I fixed the leak behind the AC blower, is almost non-existent in the car... :smile:

Now...I do remember having some cool cathode tubes somewhere in the house...thinking of under-dash lights, but will need to know where the damn door switch wire is...

Hi! Do you mind to share the circuit? Thanks!:regular_smile:

Top Bottom