Hot to apply for AP from australia?

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search
which part are u in? the best bet is to contact your local Malaysian Embassy there. They should be able to give u the directions and paperwork needed.

Lennon said:
Are you a student or working there??

Im a student here...going back for good soon....

my car is a 1983 toyota ae86....is it too old to bring it in?
how bout the duty and stuff?

actually i don't mind giving some duit kopi......if anyone knows anyone who can get AP's...please let me know....i know that there have been a few people in JB that has brought their cars from melbourne back to malaysia....an ek civic with b18c.....

dude

as i say, contact the malaysian embassy there. they should have the paperwork for u. yes it's possible because student/professional AP is not like commercial AP. why? because with student AP, they will impose a rule saying that u can't sell the car for at least 2 year or maximum 6 years.

the talk about AP in malaysia nowadays involves mostly commercial AP and Franchise AP. Student/Professional AP, as i know it, is still available. Do contact your local embassy there or check out www.miti.gov.my.

If you're a student, you have to own the car and the insurance for more than 9 months. Keep your uni's enrollment letter, your road tax receipt and anything that regards to your car. Come back to Malaysia and apply for AP at Miti. Wait for few weeks for the approval. Then fly your way to AUS to ship your. Just a warning to you The shipment alone cost RM6k to RM10k. Duit kopi doesnt work nowaday with Pak Lah's eye watching and AP issue. You have to reach the highest post in located in Putrajaya.

this is a pm i got from a guy who is bringing back his S15 from melborune

hi,

i'm actually working in Australia for a few months at the moment, on attachment for my job...

but i had applied for my AP after i completed my studies. yes, you have to apply before you ship your car back. without an AP, the car will just sit in customs. you will need documentation showing ownership + insurance (3rd party compulsory is sufficient) in your own name for a minimum of 9 months, and you also need documentation to show when you started staying overseas (e.g. letter of offer from uni showing course commencement) and completion of your stay abroad (e.g. letter of completion / testamur showing when you finished).

the only thing you save from getting an AP as a returning student / professional is the cost of 'buying' an AP. Normally, we would have to use an AP from one of the AP holders, who will sell them for varying amounts, e.g. RM15k-45k depending on what car it is for.

all duties will still have to be paid on the car imported into Malaysia. The tax will be on the market value / depreciated value of the car (customs has a guidebook which they will use if they do not accept your declared value) + shipping + shipping insurance costs. I think there's a 10% sales tax or something as well that's in the mix.

the formula is on the customs website - have a read, it should clear up your queries. i just followed the procedure - obtained the forms from MITI, filled it up, and applied. easy to do, if not sure, contact them directly. lots of misleading info out there from various people, regardless of how good their intentions are Wink myself included - don't take my word for it, find out for yourself to be sure! heheh.

good luck Cool
-KJ

ps customs link: http://www.customs.gov.my/html/eng/kenderaan.asp?id=200&category=6

how long before the ap get approve? 1 week maybe?...thanks everyone...all this info has been very helpful

dude

have u contacted the embassy? they will have the answers to most of your q's, if not all.

i get my AP in a week time which is quite efficient. Taxes includes import duty + excise duty + sales tax. But dont worry with your tax cos your car 20 years old.

Top Bottom