Handling for Satria VR4/EVO...

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

Search

alvin24

3,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
As we all know... Satria is pretty light (and most of the weight is concentrated at the front)... and the 4G63 engine is pretty bulky/heavy... so I was just curious to know what kinda setups most people run for optimized handling? As i know, the 63 on a satria tends to understeer A LOT...!!

Any suggestions from experienced owners?

donitam

Aug 11, 2005
nowhere
me oso want to know.. coz i plan to convert to 4g63 soon. is there anywaw to overcome the prob??

jeffayn

500 RPM
Mar 27, 2004
Klang
its not easy to optimied handling as because a lot of things must come into consideration such as your driving preference, roads you going to drive on and lots more ...

but few major thing you should be concentrating when you talk about handling ...
1st. Braking Solution, no stop no control !
2nd Tyre selection, it will affect the traction and road handling alot
3rd. Chassis re-inforcement, external or internal

4th if you are going into advance mode of mod, you might can seek help to use ecu controls the car driving mood.

theres a lot of stuff ... hope that other Zther can help you more on this..

DRiftAGster

Known Member
Jul 6, 2004
good suspensions, brakes & tyres are necessary.....

but i feel the understeer of satria with 4G63 are mainly caused by the high power instead of the engine weight.

FF cars are already understeer and with higher power, it become worse. I dont think the engine weight is the main reason.

Yong_5290

3,000 RPM
Nov 4, 2004
Klang
hotmail.com
weight also matters leh...
tats y wira aeroback tail tends to slide a bit coz its the heaviest of all(putra/wira sedan/satria)
coz of the rear wind screen...

GSR5559

1,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
www.zerotohundred.com
to me i feel more because of the torgue of the engine, as we all can see that usually those NAs are more better in handling rather than turbos. as for the handling side, i think there is not much to do, jus get a good suspension with a good setups, good tyres, and i think ECU oso do make a bit of difference in car driving mood, maybe setting it to be alittle sluggish at low rpm but after certain rpm make it more powerful. but i dun think anyone wants their car response to be sluggish so i think the best way to get a good handling is to put in 4WD, yeahhhh... good in pick ups and so do handling. maybe try adjusting the torque of the car could help, jus my 2 cents.

khoyos

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2003
Shah Alam
there's no way to eliminate understeer, even if u use AD07 tyres n TEIN absorbers n minus 3 degrees cambers, unless u go for 4wd setup.

normal la, every high hp FF will understeer. just a matter of how much.

if u want to enjoy corners + enjoy torque of turbo on straights and still use FF setup, i suggest 4G93T

alvin24

3,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
I meant to ask the owners of 4G63T Satrias what suspensions they're running on and what did they do to optimize their handlings...

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ
I think you guys are mixing grip together with handling. 2 different issues. Handling is all about your chassis and suspension. Tyres help with grip, brakes with stopping, both doesn't help handling. With a heavy front end, good weight distribution is gone. What you can do is do whatever you can to stiffen the body. The other is to properly sort out your cars suspension system. 4wd aids traction and grip, doesn't really help with handling. But if all you want is to reduce understeer, better tyres and 4wd would help.

Last edited:

kher

1,500 RPM
Aug 30, 2004
Klang, Selangor
Visit site
Quite confusing...
Doesn't grip helps to improve the handling of ur car?
N 4WD system doesn't really help with handling?

N then u say to reduce understeer good tyres n 4Wd would help. Doesn't tat mean improving the handling?

alvin24

3,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
does anyone in here ACTUALLY OWN a 4G63 satria?

DRiftAGster

Known Member
Jul 6, 2004
alvin24 said:
does anyone in here ACTUALLY OWN a 4G63 satria?
i dont own 1, but always drive 1....

but if you feel the answers here are too general and are not answering your question, then susah to help u la... cos all that are mentioned here are the basics & necessary touch up.

even the best tuner cant help you to setup your car here by "WORDS", if you expect answers like use "xxx" brand absorber, xxx brand spring with xxx spring rate, xx degree camber/toe adjustment, then you may get it BUT it is not necessarily suitable and helpful to your car...... i think it is best now for my car but it is only my way of driving, not yours....

try ask some track regulars, they may have the answer -- but that is after they see & feel how your car is behaving and you tell them how you want the car to be, then maybe they can help with some comments to get a better setup, thats was wat i did last time,......

dreamy

1,000 RPM
Dec 25, 2004
Visit site
u can counter a understeer...when u turn da steering u feel under..
release da steeringlet it turn back abit then turn da steering again..
i duno la on da road...can use anot but i use it on sepang :biggrin: :biggrin:

acbc

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
KD
alvin24: Here is what I got from a Galant E33A owner (upgraded with 4G63T)...

1. Try to increase weight for the rear - he puts a heavy subwoofer box and kept the original steel rim as spare tire.

2. Use wider rear tires and do not swap to front. Let the front wear until 20% n change it. By then, the rear would still have 80% of thread. He used 225/45/17 for rear and 215/45/17 for front.

3. Tune rear absorber to soft or medium soft.

According to him, this helps to minimize understeering and at the same time, imitates a real 4WD (approx 50%).

I've not sat this car b4 but will be soon after the holidays. Just curious to find out. Maybe it might work for u?

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ
Done some researching on the web. Apparently, my earlier comments were off the mark, misguided by one Mr. Clarkson, watched one too many of his shows.

Anyway, dug this out from wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handling

Tells you a lot about what affects handling and how to counter oversteer or understeer.

Here's a useful excerpt for our nose heavy friends:

fstr

7,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Apr 19, 2004
Sahara Desert
first of all, a satria is not design for putting in a 4g63t but nonetheless malaysia boleh!! as in many has done it!!

alvin, putra's and satria's on track are running on n/a which make them easier to handle and playing with the revs to complement the weight ratio of the front and rear, whereas tebo's on d other hand makes your car go forward without helding back the force hence reducing your tenency to control your car hence losing control, which i happen to see at SIC, was behind a putra tebo in corners, his car turn 180deg cos he go tekan in one of d corners.

everybody knows a tebo has too much power too handle on corners and not everybody can handle it wisely, unless u are on 4wd then different cerita la :biggrin:

yes 63 engine is heavy, and ur whole front goes down cos of d weight but wat like acbc said, put something at the back to handicap its weight difference. putting adjustables or watever expensive abs at the back is definately not giving u d best offer of security cos watever it is, a satria is too light, same goes with my own, once in SIC.. the back give way also.

but there are few things that u can do to improve, your tyres at the rear which is the most important, your ARB and your UR bars.

boggysv

2,000 RPM
Sep 7, 2004
acbc said:
2. Use wider rear tires and do not swap to front. Let the front wear until 20% n change it. By then, the rear would still have 80% of thread. He used 225/45/17 for rear and 215/45/17 for front.
That is just gonna induce more understeer.