Handling Feel of Multilink/Double wishbone vs McPherson strut

YYC

1,500 RPM
Dec 30, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
Is there anyone can tell the difference in handling feel between this two type of suspension? I thought I couldn't tell but my nerve told me otherwise. It is subtle. I couldn't describe the difference. Aside to say multi-link handles better, I can just say I like the feel more. (The cars I tested in question are Civic EJ and Perdana vs FD2.)

With Honda discarding the front double wishbone setup for McPherson, it had said in one of its statements that drivers wouldn't be able to feel the difference (as far as I can remember they said so). I think I disagree.

Anyone have experience to share?

peeche

Known Member
May 16, 2006
Sin City, MY
Perdana's multilink setup is costly to maintain and not that long lasting. But if all that parts in good condition, the handling is :top::top::top: even with stock suspension.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
if the car driven normally (like apek driving speed to his kopitiam), then both car suspension handling-feel isnt noticable.

kayour

Known Member
Apr 5, 2006
mostly driver can't feel the difference
unless the pro...or car journalist

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
normal driver wouldnt feel the diff...even torsion beam compared to multilink rear also no diff to them :rofl:

but we..should knew the diff once we tried

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
If you can't tell the difference between torsion beam and multilink rear then you're not driving the car hard enough.

Personally use to have the non-V6 Perdana. Drives like a magic carpet on the road. But the sheer size of the car probably helped the comfort and affected the handling so can't say it's completely the multilinks.

As for McPherson, I think these days 9/10 'expensive' cars use McPherson. The cheaper ones have torsion beams. I think McPherson isn't too bad either. Comfort loses to multilinks but in the end it's the cost that justifies everything. Cheaper to build, to maintain and to use.

It's a hard comparison if you ask me. Unless you have two very very similar cars with the two different suspensions, it'll be too hard to compare. Handling isnt all about the suspension only mah. But you guys already know that.

Last edited:

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
If you can't tell the difference between torsion beam and multilink rear then you're not driving the car hard enough.
torsion beam rear on Savvy vs torsion beam rear on Myvi is day and night man.
i think execution is more key these days...

look at how well the megane is executed.. front wheel drive vehicle.. apa torque steer? stupid thing tracks around corners like a train on rails.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
torsion beam rear on Savvy vs torsion beam rear on Myvi is day and night man.
i think execution is more key these days...

look at how well the megane is executed.. front wheel drive vehicle.. apa torque steer? stupid thing tracks around corners like a train on rails.
apa torque steer...

understeer manyak la :biggrin:

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
before contemplating on the type suspension/handling, it is best to do proper allignment. Send it to some good tyre shop to do it.
Toe-in/out and camber, castor, etc adjustment makes a car handles better.

You would be surprised that some good alignment could benefit the handling of a car, even to stock suspension setup.

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

i need some tips to change my waja into "kereta kuat", i want to start from exhaust, but i dont know what to do and all the measurement. baru mau belajar. teach me please!:biggrin:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience