Engine overheat as I changed standard muffler to sports type.

lavon

Known Member
Nov 2, 2006
Dear frens, I juz changed my Elantra 96 standard exhaust tabung to sports type then, suddenly engine temp jump up easily.... recently I just sent the radiator for service and mechanic sealed two leakage hole as detected and temp was ok at the time standard tabung was on. Can anyone advice why??? :emoticon_U:

b00n

3,000 RPM
Aug 16, 2005
KL
u changed the whole piping or the muffler at the end only?
If you changed the whole piping; than make sure that they weld the piping to the extractor properly....
Than if muffler only; it wouldn't cause your engine temp to overheat lar...
check radiator fan see spinning or not when ur engine temp goes up. If not; probably the 2 leakage that is sealed openned up again.

lavon

Known Member
Nov 2, 2006
Bro, I just changed the rear tabung only and the rest is still standard. i supposed what you said about the radiator could be the pblm.

Anyway, what I have observed this few days is that when I drive at normal highway speed the temp indicator will stay at zero line especially at night bt when i stuck in traffic jam like what happen yesterday, the indicator will shoot up and later will drop slowly as the car move on... anyway, the fan did spin... hmm :confused_smile:

Last edited:

b00n

3,000 RPM
Aug 16, 2005
KL
lavon said:
Anyway, what I have observed this few days is that when I drive at normal highway speed the temp indicator will stay at zero line especially at night bt when i stuck in traffic jam like what happen yesterday, the indicator will shoot up and later will drop slowly as the car move on... anyway, the fan did spin... hmm :confused_smile:
two things u got to check here i guess.
It's really impossible that the indicator stay at zero at night. Unless ur driving down Genting at a cold night. Got to check whether or not ur sensor or meter is faulty.
Did u check your water level in your radioator resoivour? If water didn't drop than most probably it's something wrong with ur sensor or meter.

refering to the thing I highlighted in blue...usually the cause would be the fan. When ur car move; there would be air moving in. Thus the temperature might dropped. But when stationary; the fan is not moving, so temperature goes up. Are there 2 fans inside the engine bay?...1 is aircond the other is radiator. And usually radiator fan only spins when it hit a certain temperature. Don't know bout elantra though...

lavon

Known Member
Nov 2, 2006
Well, I myself amaze to discover the indicator stays at 0 level and become panic as it’ll point up as the car stationary. The radiator was repaired (the mechanic weld the two leakage area) and maybe you are right that it may occur again. I am thinking should I send it back to the mechanic or to eliminate such hassle I rather buy new radiator... I just have no clue how much it'll cost me.

Another thing, I pop up the hood and check the coolant reservoir and it is boiling hot and got spillage around the reservoir cap. I remember before I send the radiator for repair, as I parked my car at home I hear a suspicious sound from the hood and as pop it up I saw the water in the reservoir is boiling!

Maybe I should send it back to the mechanic then....

PocketRocket

'(00) Mod'er
Helmet Clan
Nov 28, 2004
Up Yours
exhaust restricted? ur muffler inlet size correct ah?
can cause a chain reaction up to ur radiator...my 2 kupang

mrbear

500 RPM
Nov 16, 2005
i think change ur thermostat 1st. and also check ur water pump!.. maybe u can send ur radiator for overhaul (open,wash,clean,rinse,chemical)

i dont think exhaust system n pipings n etc2 got to do with overheat issue

huakenny

LB Performance
Feb 24, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
go to workshop....ask them use the radiator leakage pump to test ur water system fo any leakage....

they use a pump....apply pressure to ur radiator....so if there is a leakage, u can see the water mark/sign

my2cent

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Could be the water temp sensor socket or loose or got damage when the mechs help you repair your radiator bro.

You know lah, some mechs working style very rough wan. If the thing sangkut a bit they will pull kuat kuat to force the thing out. Maybe in the process they damage your water temp sensor lah.

lavon

Known Member
Nov 2, 2006
Thanks guys… I’m gona send my Elantra to workshop 2day and get the mechanic to check the problem.

I checked the radiator cap, its ok.
Radiator fan works after about 2 minutes engine start.

1. Thermostat
2. Water pump
3. Sensor socket

The above items I’ll get the mechanic to check.

By the way... I can smell a petrol leakage somewhere... can anyone giv adv..

Have a happening weekend guys...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Toyota's new Corolla Cross arrives Malaysia. It is built on the TNGA-C platform just like the Corolla sedan and C-HR, a well acclaimed chassis which almost always deliver. This is also evident in the recently introduced and fully imported Toyota RAV4.

1.8L NA 4cyl 2ZR-FBE / 139ps / 172nm / 7 speed CVT transmission / 1.8G RM124k 1.8V RM134k...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience