Engine Oil Seeping from Rear Main Seal

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Dear All,

Finally managed to track down the oil leak locations. Just as parakey and Izso pinpointed, the leak starts from the oil trap/separator. The gasket on this thing has shrink by bit and oil seal on the hose also degarded.

Does anyone know whether the oil separator is a replacement item or i can reuse it with adding gasket gum ?

Attachments

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Dear All,

Finally managed to track down the oil leak locations. Just as parakey and Izso pinpointed, the leak starts from the oil trap/separator. The gasket on this thing has shrink by bit and oil seal on the hose also degarded.

Does anyone know whether the oil separator is a replacement item or i can reuse it with adding gasket gum ?
If it's plastic it'll be probably be a replacement item. Might have deformed over the years

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Dear All,

Pls dont use back by adding gasket maker. The part is hard to reach and not worth the try.

Better option is to replace the rubber gasket. A tad more expensive is to replace the plastic part.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
If it's plastic it'll be probably be a replacement item. Might have deformed over the years
What's actually inside the box ? Some says its actually empty inside, just for blow by gases to goes through and goes back into engine.

Pls dont use back by adding gasket maker. The part is hard to reach and not worth the try.

Better option is to replace the rubber gasket. A tad more expensive is to replace the plastic part.
Understanding Volvo's spare parts nature, they won't make any gasket for this thing, it will be the whole thing. If the price isn't ridiculously priced then i will replace the whole thing.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
What's actually inside the box ? Some says its actually empty inside, just for blow by gases to goes through and goes back into engine.
Hidden gold. Great place to hide your stash of drugs... hehehehe.

I think it's just a place for the oil to "cool down" and condense then get sucked back in to the engine. Some sort of environmental thing. I honestly have no idea. Don't own a Volvo, never have either.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Hidden gold. Great place to hide your stash of drugs... hehehehe.

I think it's just a place for the oil to "cool down" and condense then get sucked back in to the engine. Some sort of environmental thing. I honestly have no idea. Don't own a Volvo, never have either.
As far as we look inside this piece of non-environmental box, its nothing inside but some sort of wire mash. When we pour some oil in, it just went right through to the other side. It simply to trap any blow by gases that might carry oil along with it. The diagnose return that the box is fully functional with only lower part of the gasket expired. My repair is too use gasket gum to glue it dead and reroute the oil passage to a catch can. Don't need this damn thing at all and don't need to spend 650 bucks for this thing

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
As far as we look inside this piece of non-environmental box, its nothing inside but some sort of wire mash. When we pour some oil in, it just went right through to the other side. It simply to trap any blow by gases that might carry oil along with it. The diagnose return that the box is fully functional with only lower part of the gasket expired. My repair is too use gasket gum to glue it dead and reroute the oil passage to a catch can. Don't need this damn thing at all and don't need to spend 650 bucks for this thing
650 is steep for the repair.
From the way u describe it, its like an oil catch can except the oil is not collected in a can but recycled back to the engine.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
From the way u describe it, its like an oil catch can except the oil is not collected in a can but recycled back to the engine.
Yes its a stock crappy catch can that installed on to the engine block. Inside has nothing else rather than wire mesh. I will report back when the repair is done.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Had a few friends who own Volvo before, most sold them off saying high maintenance. Only those with the old 244 keep them until cannot repair.....lol

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
https://volvozone.eu/product/volvo-...v40-ii-v40-xc-p3-s60-ii-v60-ii-s80-ii-v70-iii

Dang, Volvo parts are so expensive. These oil traps are supposed to last only 100k km. It makes e46 parts dirt cheap.

If it's only the rubber seal that's causing the minor leak, I guess you can try o ring cords.
Yeah from factory it says last about 100k km, however that is provided if you didn’t change oil often and sludge built up the system. What we found out on those hoses, no block at all or any sludge in the system, that could due to in my ownership, i flushed the crap out of this engine. I used GDI cleaner to clean the intake valves in every single oil change.

Our family had a V40 2.0 Turbo before, the car’s maintenance isn’t very costly. To be frank, some of the spare parts are just as expensive as my lancer. Lancer’s engine and gearbox mounting job costed me MYR1950 inclusive of labour. This Volvo from service record, it shows the parts only cost MYR1600. So i would say its kinda close.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Dear all,

I'm driving the Saga BLM (A) 2010. Currently suffering powerless braking problem. Let me elaborate more on this matter.

When new car the brake feels ok but not really too good. After bout 9months feeling that the ORI pad cannot stand for high heat so decided change to Bendix Titanium. After change to Bendix Titanium, cool brake feel nothing while pedal have been fully pressed. For the Bendix Titanium i believe it can withstand for higher temp but too bad its fail me too...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience